Type 2 NHS Check Up Frequency

GordonAsh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been diagnosed about 16 months ago and just wondered what the deal is with the regular checkups. The ones i have had have been really sporadic at best.

Exactly what tests are you supposed to get and how often if anyone knows please?

Less important bonus question... out of curiosity should there have been any early warnings with previous blood tests as ive had the odd fasting glucose test every few years and never had anything said to me. In fact the test that showed i was diabetic i had to really push hard for and was even told a few weeks earlier that no blood/sugar tests existed when i suspected i was having trouble with my sugar intake.

Thanks.

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
I go for a check up every 6 months which seems to be about the norm, I don't get called in, I pre book a blood test and then make an appointment with the nurse for a review a week later. This method seems to suit both a busy surgery and me, I do feel you need to be proactive with your own care as much as possible.

Reactions: 4 people

jacksop87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only recently been diagnosed so mine are very frequent at the minute in the addition to regular phone calls. The plan (so I'm told) moving forward is to see my GP every three months to go through BG readings and general check up. He seems very keen and pro- active which is reassuring.

I agree with @Talos though simply from experience with anything from nasty bugs to broken arms- you have to be pro- active and push hard for things or else you're left to your own devices. The level of care seems to be massively inconsistent across the country. I've been impressed with mine so far... yet my mum who has suffered with various ailments is in the position she is in mostly due to an apathetic GP who completely misdiagnosed her.

Good on you for pushing for those tests- that's the way to go I reckon!

Reactions: 2 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Judging from forum members' posts it seems to vary between GP practices and that might depend on their budgets. Some seem to test every 3 months, others 6 months and others 12 months. Mine is 12 months so I have bought a meter to monitor my progress myself.
It also seems to depend on your 'compliance'. If you are taking action to reduce your HbA1c they might leave you to it, if not they might want to monitor and test you more regularly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry I don't know what an 'ecg' is, please explain.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
OK I don't think I have ever been given one by GP. I did think I had angina a few years back with squeezing feelings around my heart and was referred to hospital for checks but they said my heart was ok. After blood checks it was found to be due to thyroid problem and I was put on levothyroxine. I haven't been tested since, apart from yearly blood tests - which was how I was diagnosed diabetic.
Do you have heart problems? If not they probably are not going to check your heart.

C

catherinecherub

If the ECG did not pick up any abnormalities then you would not require further investigations.
Were you told that no intervention was necessary?
The electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is a diagnostic tool that is routinely used to assess the electrical and muscular functions of the heart.

Reactions: 2 people

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
I've been told by my GP that all tests are monitored including ECG and I can phone for the results if I want, also if the test comes back OK they will not call me, it seems the rule of "no news is good news" applies. When I was first diagnosed I also had to attend every 3 months and was given a meter to do my own tests but keep a record to show during my visit, after 12 months they said my results had stabilised and visits were reduced and no longer had to test so no test strips supplied.

Reactions: 3 people