New Type 2

Juno80

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hey Everyone.

Been banging around here for the past week or so, and figured it's about time I introduced myself. I'm Canadian, and I was diagnosed Borderline/Type 2 a few days after New Years when I went to the hospital for what I thought was a heart attack. Ended up being a panic attack, because I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Isn't the mind great. Anyhow, I am about 30lbs overweight, and have been for about 2 years, which I know I need to fix. After they checked my BP (normal) and did an ECG (also normal) they pulled some blood to check for infections etc, and found my BG rates sitting at 13.4 mmol/L. The hospital didn't do an Hb1Ac test. Doc gave me a script for 500mg Metformin per day, and a meter, said "Eat better and exercise" and sent me on my way. She did give me a referral to an endocrinologist, who I saw 2 days ago.

Over the past week and a half I've cut down/out carbs (Anything white) and sugars (Don't have much of a sweet tooth to begin with) and have brought my average BG down to about 8.3. Lowest reading so far was 6.2, and had a high morning this morning 2hr after breakfast at 10.4 (Ate late last night, and too many blueberries in the smoothie this morning).

I do have a couple questions though.

1. The endocrinologist has told me to up my Metformin dose to 2000mg /day (4x what I started with) gradually over the next couple of weeks. Is that normal? He said the reasoning was to take any stress off my pancreas. Just checking to see if anyone else has had similar advise? I have a follow-up with him in 3 months, and he wants a full battery of fasting blood and urine samples before that check-up.

2. I'm going to Mexico on vacation 2nd week of February. I don't think I'm going to have an issue with the diet because I'll be cooking most of my own meals, but I would like to have a few (in moderation) drinks. What's best to drink? Are there any complications with Metformin and alcohol? Should I carry a candy bar around just in case?

Lots of great info on here. Will definitely be doing a lot of reading.
Thanks!

Reactions: 4 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is usually standard practice to increase Metformin slowly as it can cause some stomach upsets. I usually drink spirits with diet fizzy and it doesn't impact on my BS.

Reactions: 2 people

chinta

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Champagne and dry white wine are best or vodka, whisky, gin with diet mixers. Beer and cider are worst. I am on 850mg metformin twice a day and have seen no adverse effect with alcohol (had quite a lot over the Christmas period!) Seems like too many doctors just prescribe some drugs and say eat better, or eat less sugar and come back in 3 months. I heard it a lot of times in the two months since I was diagnosed. Thank goodness for the internet and the ability to research this disease for ourselves!!! I started out following the lchf regime suggested on here and got my bg down from 21.9 to around 12 in two weeks and lost 3kg in 4 weeks. Since 22nd December I have been more lax with the carbs, following my sister-in-law's rules (which have come from her DN in the UK) and I have been sent on a series of workshops here in France which started two weeks ago. Since then I put 1kg back on and my BG, which I had got down to around 9 has gone back up to 12 on average. So guess who's rejecting all the "professional" advice and going back to the lchf method!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

You are doing well so far.

No need to carry a candy bar round with you. It is very rare for people to experience proper hypos on Metformin. It doesn't work that way. It works on the liver to reduce the amount of glucose the liver produces of its own accord in times of starvation (like fasting) or strenuous exercise, or stress. It won't reduce any post meal spikes.

As others have said, most spirits, red wine or dry white are fine. Keep away from beers and sweetened mixers. I believe there is a warning on the Metformin leaflets about not taking alcohol, but I'm not sure why.

As a postscript, fruit smoothies are not a good idea, particularly in the mornings. I can't even manage a fresh strawberry until after lunch. (Insulin resistance tends to improve a bit as the day progresses) Squashed, pulped, over ripe and smoothed fruit are much worse for us than fresh/frozen. Many people find a very low carb or no carb breakfast is best, although some can cope with it. Your meter has told you your body didn't like that smoothie! Lesson learnt!

Good luck and enjoy your holiday. :)

Juno80

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks all for the advise. As for the smoothies in the morning, I have a real problem getting solid food down much before noon. Been that way since I was a kid. Unfortunately, they're the only option that allows me to not gag, and get my pill in with food. I don't usually see much of a spike unless I'm heavy-handed on the berries. It's usually some berries, a banana, a ton of spinach, some peanut butter, and almond milk. Most times my BG is flat, or only up 0.1-0.2 two hours later.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi Juno80. I cannot face food on a early morning, so I have a banana some mornings - inject my Insulin, take other Diabetic meds, then my Blood Pressure meds and then about 12 noon start feeling hungry - so I just have toast. This sees me through till about 5.15pm then I am ready to eat a meal. My Diabetes Nurse at GP Surgery says no to eat unless I feel hungry, and yet the Diabetes Nurses at the Hospital say I should make myself eat 4 small meals a day. Can't win!! So I do it my way. :):)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@liam1955 please remember, you are on insulin, so can counteract any carbs such as bananas and toast by injecting your insulin. The OP isn't insulin dependent so needs to be far more careful with his diet, as do all us non-insulin dependent type 2's. Bananas are just about the worst fruit we can eat as they turn to glucose instantly (which is why they are eaten by tennis players during matches) so any spikes will be very early on after eating one. Bread is also dicey for us and needs to be vigilantly tested with our meter to determine if we are one of the lucky ones able to manage an odd piece.

Reactions: 6 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Your right Bluetit1802 - Sorry, I didn't think!! Just wanted to make the point that there is others who cannot face eating on a morning. Do you think I ought to delete the messenger? Regards, Liam.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your right Bluetit1802 - Sorry, I didn't think!! Just wanted to make the point that there is others who cannot face eating on a morning. Do you think I ought to delete the messenger? Regards, Liam.

LOL no need to delete anything. :) You were making a fair point about being unable to eat in the mornings.

Do you like coffee and cream? Some people find this an excellent breakfast. A nice mug of coffee (decaf if you prefer) and a very large dollop of double cream keeps the liver happy, keeps the pancreas happy, and keeps the tummy full for a long time.

Reactions: 3 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi. Bluetit1802. I have a mug of Twinings Ginger & Lemon Tea on a morning. I drink per day 2 - 3 Latte's (mugs) and at night before bed a mug of hot chocolate made with hot water (no milk). And of course I drink glasses of water throughout the day. I've ordered today from Amazon.co.uk the Carbs & Calorie Book - keep reading this title being mentioned on this forum. Thank You for the suggestion about the coffee, might try it one day. Liam.:D