Nerve Pain and creams

Angela_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Hello, does anyone know what is the best body cream for Nerve pain please or any ointments? Angela T

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Where is the pain? My aunt used movilat and it seemed to help her back pain.

Have you had it checked?

I've been suffering for two years with my sciatica . I'm up at 2am because of it and would do anything for a 7 hour sleep...

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a trapped nerve & associated pain for at least two years & never found a cream or ointment that helped. Things like Deep Heat & Fisiocrem are good for muscle pain (I find Fisiocrem gentler on my very sensitive skin) but I needed medication/physio for the trapped nerve. Tried something called Tramadol which did absolutely diddly then ended up on 10mg amitriptyline which took six weeks to kick in but worked beautifully. I also have a tens machine that came in handy but only worked so long as I was using it - the minute I turned it off the pain was back. Not even sure if tens machines are OK for diabetics though so I'd check on that before using one.

Hope you find something that helps - you've sure been having a tough time.

safi

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Where is the pain? My aunt used movilat and it seemed to help her back pain.

Have you had it checked?

I've been suffering for two years with my sciatica . I'm up at 2am because of it and would do anything for a 7 hour sleep...

Have you tried amitriptyline @Debmcgee ? I found it great for nerve pain and it made me sleep like a log! I only needed a very low dose & was able to come off it in a year after some good physio.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried amitriptyline @Debmcgee ? I found it great for nerve pain and it made me sleep like a log! I only needed a very low dose & was able to come off it in a year after some good physio.

Funny you should mention it as pain doc said I could swap it for my fluoxetine antidepressants as it could help. I was a bit anxious as I feel ok with current antidepressant....so it was good for you? Do you suffer from depression too?

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid I can't speak to it's efficacy as an antidepressant @Debmcgee as I was using it purely for pain relief - the fact that it helped me sleep after 12 months of very little was a much welcomed bonus. Hope you can find some relief from the sciatica and get some sleep :)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I could just try it and if it had an adverse effect I could go back. I actually think I could live without the anti depressants - but with the pain I don't want to risk it at the mo.

What were you like during the day time on it?

And would I be ok to wake up for my young kids if they needed me in the night?!

I'm desperate to sleep a full night again. Doc has put me on waiting list for epidural injections which I have had in the past but the pain relief only lasted two weeks I was private back then and ended up having an operation....

Sorry to bombard you!!!

I appreciate your viewpoint xxx

S

Shar67

I'm on amitriptyline and gabapentin for pain, gabapentin is usually used for epilepsy but it turns off pain receptors in brain, it takes a couple if weeks to kick in the combination of both work fairly well although I do take bupranorphine as well.

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Shar. I'm on this lot:

Gabapentin
Tramadol
Ibuprofen
Fluoxetine
Paracetamol to 'top up' if pain is really bad

Pain doc said gabapentin is known to make you gain weight and wasn't keen for me to be on them and I've never really been convinced that they work on my nerve pain. I hate taking so many drugs....x

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I could just try it and if it had an adverse effect I could go back. I actually think I could live without the anti depressants - but with the pain I don't want to risk it at the mo.

What were you like during the day time on it?

And would I be ok to wake up for my young kids if they needed me in the night?!

I'm desperate to sleep a full night again. Doc has put me on waiting list for epidural injections which I have had in the past but the pain relief only lasted two weeks I was private back then and ended up having an operation....

Sorry to bombard you!!!

I appreciate your viewpoint xxx

You're not bombarding me Debmcgee - I now how exhausting pin can be & how desperate you can be for sleep!

In answer to your questions:

I took my 10mg dose about an hour before bed so while it helped put me to sleep about 10mins after my head hit the pillow I was fine during the day.

I was easily enough woken (we have a very sick pet) & able to function in the night - a bit drowsy but then I generally am when I'm woken from a deep sleep.

The only downside for me was that I did develop a dry mouth & had to drink water/chew sugar free gum all day but it was a small price to pay. The dry mouth thing stopped a couple of months after I stopped taking it.

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you!

I think I should try it - if water drinking is the worst thing that happened, then I can live with that.

I haven't slept properly in nearly two years.....it's frustrating as hell!!!

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi Debmcgee, you might like to see what dr Richard Berstein's book Diabetes Solution 4 th edition,has to point out re: effects of prescribed drugs on blood sugars ( available on amazon...and no i don't have shares) his book covers t1 ,t2 and he's been t1 himself for 60 yrs,clive

C

catherinecherub

Last edited:

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Debmcgee, you might like to see what dr Richard Berstein's book Diabetes Solution 4 th edition,has to point out re: effects of prescribed drugs on blood sugars ( available on amazon...and no i don't have shares) his book covers t1 ,t2 and he's been t1 himself for 60 yrs,clive

Wish it was a bit cheaper!! Can't afford the £23 but will see if library has it x

Angela_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders

Juicyjan53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm on amitriptyline also. I take 75 mg a day because of trigeminal neuralgia. It also works by blocking pain receptors. It certainly helps with sleep. Jan x