Just diagnosed as pre-diabetic

jennaleh

I was told by my doctor that I am pre-diabetic but I already eat healthy & exercise regularly. I don't want to lose weight yet she told me to alter my diet & exercise more. Diabetes 1 definitely runs in my family. Anyone have a similar experience? I am 62. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Thanks for any ideas.

Vern

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars
In my experience I have found that drastically lowering your Carbohydrate intake is highly effective in lowering your Blood Sugar Levels. When you say you eat healthily I assume you are including whole grains into your Diet regularly? Together with Sweet Potato and other Carbs? If so, try eliminating most of them over time and increase Physical activity. It should break your Insulin Resistance soon. Is there any particular reason that you are avoiding weight Loss?

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Is there a history of T2 in your family, or just T1? I know that there is an increased risk of T1 running in families, but don't think the risks are very high. And not all prediabetics become T2s, so it isn't an automatic diabetes sentence!

Could you tell us a little about your Healthy Diet? Only there is so much mis-information and different ideas around, that what you mean by Healthy may mean something different to me, or others.

There are many different causes of insulin resistance. Being overweight is just one. Drugs can cause it (I am on one of them), also hormone conditions, and lack of exercise. Also a lot of carbs in the diet.

Hope that helps a bit.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Let us know what you generally eat in a typical day and we may be able to offer more advice. As you are pre diabetic with a few tweaks to your diet you should be able to get your BS into check.

Reactions: 2 people