T1 & Travelling?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm travelling for the in a few months and am a bit weary about going considering I have Type 1. This is my first time travelling and want to know if any of you have any tips or things I should know about travelling woth Type 1 Diabetes. Things that my friends should know/consider would be useful too:)

Additional-
I'm on set doses of insulin injections.

Sucre Bleu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One of the first things you should do is get a letter from your GP, listing your insulins, diabetic supplies and other medications you take on a regular basis. It will be invaluable when going thru customs and immigration. Probably good to let your travelling companions know a few of the basics, hypo management and symptoms springs to mind

Reactions: 2 people

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
have travelled Australia and America etc for 8 months or so just be aware of how lack of sleep/sitting on planes etc can affect your insulin sensitivity all be wary of the heat and the effect it could have on your bloods and insulin quality also the increased exercise etc from walking. Hardest part for me was eating out often but just stick to what works for you diet wise. Where are you going?

jodysd6

How long are you going for? It is worth bearing in mind that gp's are only allowed to supply a maximum of 3 months medication so if you are going away for a fortnight not an issue but if it's a longer trip you need to consider how long you have until you go and how generous your gp may be to work out if you can get enough to take with you. If not you will need to make sure that along with the obvious adequate travel insurance you also know how you will get supplies while away.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
One of the first things you should do is get a letter from your GP, listing your insulins, diabetic supplies and other medications you take on a regular basis. It will be invaluable when going thru customs and immigration. Probably good to let your travelling companions know a few of the basics, hypo management and symptoms springs to mind

Thanks! Any particular time in advance I should get this letter? Or is as soon as possible fine?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
have travelled Australia and America etc for 8 months or so just be aware of how lack of sleep/sitting on planes etc can affect your insulin sensitivity all be wary of the heat and the effect it could have on your bloods and insulin quality also the increased exercise etc from walking. Hardest part for me was eating out often but just stick to what works for you diet wise. Where are you going?

Thanks Kieran! Off to Bulgaria in July but then it's looking likely that I'll be off to LA for the rest of my summer so I'll look into/keep in mind the plane journey. Appreciate the help. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How long are you going for? It is worth bearing in mind that gp's are only allowed to supply a maximum of 3 months medication so if you are going away for a fortnight not an issue but if it's a longer trip you need to consider how long you have until you go and how generous your gp may be to work out if you can get enough to take with you. If not you will need to make sure that along with the obvious adequate travel insurance you also know how you will get supplies while away.

Did not realise it was only a 3 month supply so thanks for the tip! Hopefully be returning home between some trips so I'll have to work out how I'll manage, thanks again for the advice.

Sucre Bleu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks! Any particular time in advance I should get this letter? Or is as soon as possible fine?
I would think a month before might be a good time frame. or just whenever you go to collect prescriptions to take with you. You haven't mentioned where you are going. Also please be aware some countries have reciprocal arrangements with the UK,which can be helpful. Also concerning travel insurance Diabetes, any of the Types are usually classified as a pre-existing condition and unless you have long term insurance you may not be covered.
This also goes for things like asthma, even say a flare up of gallstone which you have previously been treated for becomes pre existing. Anew diagnosis which you had no knowledge of might be OK, but they will check. Insurance companies sadly are not in the business of taking care of you, no matter how warm and fuzzy their advertising is

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would think a month before might be a good time frame. or just whenever you go to collect prescriptions to take with you. You haven't mentioned where you are going. Also please be aware some countries have reciprocal arrangements with the UK,which can be helpful. Also concerning travel insurance Diabetes, any of the Types are usually classified as a pre-existing condition and unless you have long term insurance you may not be covered.
This also goes for things like asthma, even say a flare up of gallstone which you have previously been treated for becomes pre existing. Anew diagnosis which you had no knowledge of might be OK, but they will check. Insurance companies sadly are not in the business of taking care of you, no matter how warm and fuzzy their advertising is

Ah okay. I'm going to Bulgaria for the beginning of summer but there's a possibility of me travelling to LA too. I don't suppose you have any good recommendations of insurance companies?

Sucre Bleu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am in Australia, so companies and insurance quotes may be different.
I travel extensively. In Oct15 I fell over at JFK Airport (New York) and shattered my hip, requiring a total hip replacement. I was incredibly lucky as New York has what is called Alien Medicaid-who knew- and because it was an accident I was completely covered, and the bill was enormous
You will need to do some research for your own personal circumstances, just remember to read fine print on pre existing conditions