Bigfoot reveals its automated insulin delivery system: - See more at: http://diatribe.org/bigfoot-bi

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I worry a little about the underlying concept - what happens when you forget to to charge your phone, drop it in the bath, have it stolen etc?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've been following this for a while. @urbanracer, the principle is the same as the Omnipod, but instead of dedicated hardware, you use a phone.

The pump has all the required basal settings to revert to in the case of the loss of the brain (like the openAPS project) and the data on the phone is backed up to the cloud.

In theory, you lose your phone, it reverts to stored basal settings while you replace your phone and download the app with full data restoration from the cloud.

While you don't have a phone, you revert to bolusing with a pen.

In many ways it's better than a number of pumps on the market at the moment in terms of data recovery.

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I've been following this for a while. @urbanracer, the principle is the same as the Omnipod, but instead of dedicated hardware, you use a phone.

The pump has all the required basal settings to revert to in the case of the loss of the brain (like the openAPS project) and the data on the phone is backed up to the cloud.

In theory, you lose your phone, it reverts to stored basal settings while you replace your phone and download the app with full data restoration from the cloud.

While you don't have a phone, you revert to bolusing with a pen.

In many ways it's better than a number of pumps on the market at the moment in terms of data recovery.

Okay, makes a bit more sense now. Thanks for the explanation.

Loliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That looks fascinating. Does 'closed loop' mean that it will also add insulin in in case of highs? It says that the Medtronic will have that by April 2017. Which is also good news. I like the idea of this one, though - my one HUGe bugbear of the Medtronic is how huge it is to wear and how it has to be continually looked at to see alarms and adjust, time consuming and irritating.