Confused by dietary advice

Step hen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have recently been told I am prediabetic and am keen to reverse that.
One thing that I find confusing is that diabetics should reduce carbs and increase protein and fat. However, as I have had a heart attack in the past I am concerned that increasing fat in my diet doesn't sound a good idea. Is that correct? If so, it sounds like I can only eat protein! Is that true?
I feel we need a Venn Diagram that shows what a diabetic can eat and what a heart patient can eat so that I could see where they overlap - i.e. what a diabetic and heart patient can eat. I haven't been able to find that information anywhere.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you research on Google the 'fact's' behind Sat Fat causing arterial blockage you will find that the original research data was manipulated and when it was looked at again by others it did not show any issue. You will find little to support what the NHS and others say about fat. Health experts are very slow to change their views and there is very strong Group-think within the profession.

Step hen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.
The British Heart Foundation put out a statement to specifically refute this though. It can be seen on their website amongst other places.
The BHF is adamant that sat fat increases cholesterol which in turn increases the risk of heart attacks and strokes. The research referred to in the video is thin, to say the least.

• Hug
Reactions: oldgreymare

mouseee

It doesn't necessarily mean masses of fat. I think of it as 'higher fat' for example full fat yogurt rather than fat free and using olive oil for cooking and using butter rather than low fat alternatives. You can still cut the fat off your bacon for example if you want.
It's only anecdotal but many people on here have found that cholesterol is reduced when they eat low carb high fat.

Jo123

I eat plenty of avocados, oily fish, nuts and seeds, extra virgin olive oil the so called healthy fats which are no problem for your heart health.
I also eat full fat greek yoghurt and cheese as these fermented foods I've read are not bad for your heart.
I have reversed my pre diabetes and maintained normal levels for many years. I low carb rather than do keto.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening @Step hen and welcome to the forum.

It's crucially important to eat the right kinds of healthy fats. Anybody prescribed a low fat diet for 12 months, will tell you their skin and nails suffered and very often their hair falls out. These are the external effects that patients notice. Goodness knows what damage occurs on the inside!

You won't go far wrong if you maintain a healthy weight and have plenty of protein foods, non starchy vegetables and healthy fats. What ever you do, avoid ultra processed products and trans fats. Trans fats (otherwise known as partially-hydrogenated oils) are considered the worst fats to eat, whatever your medical history.

Instead, choose oily fish like salmon, tuna, mackerel, herrings, sardines including pilchards, trout or anchovies at least twice a week and stick to cold pressed oils like extra virgin olive oil and avocado oil. All kinds of nuts are helpful too.

Avoid industrial seed oils like sunflower oil. There's nothing wrong with sunflower hearts per se, but industrial manufacturers use high temperatures, mechanical pressure, chemical deodorizers and petroleum-based solvents to extract oils from seeds. This effectively strips the oil of nutrients and antioxidants while creating harmful trans fats. Butter is OK, but avoid margarine which is also high in trans fats.

Last edited:

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am T2 diabetic with heart problems, and took the decision to go keto on my diabetic diagnosis which happened at the same time as a stroke. Because I am a geek, forensic in my research of anything I need to know more about (my health being top of the list) I discovered the low-fat info we have been bombarded with for the last umpteen years started out as a marketing ploy for low-fat versions of what we used to eat back in the day. Somehow this -ah- somewhat biased research has become something our medics believe without reference to its origins - so easy to be convinced by this kind of cod-truth. Some of us here can supply links to proper research if you would like to examine it for yourself.
I eat healthy fats that naturally come with the food, and use olive oil and butter when needed in cooking. I have been in non-diabetic BG figures for the best part of 2 and a half years, lost a shedload of weight and haven't felt this healthy in a very long time.

That's my decision and I would not attempt to push that on anyone else, but you asked a perfectly reasonable question, and that is my answer.

• Agree
Reactions: Melgar

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The BHF is adamant that sat fat increases cholesterol which in turn increases the risk of heart attacks and strokes. The research referred to in the video is thin, to say the least.
They can be adamant, but my lab results definitely tell a different story.
I'm only N=1, but there are more members who've reported their lipid levels greatly improved on LCHF.

I was diagnosed with diabetes in november 2016 and reduced carbs and increased fats right away. I don't pay attention to the type of fats I eat and happily munch away on pork scratchings, fatty meat, use as much butter as I like, etc.

The initial sharp drop in cholesterol was caused by a short stint on a statin, which I stopped after a couple of months. I haven't taken statins since.

1714220469675.png

1714220498088.png

1714220533738.png

1714220564989.png

1714220596523.png