retinopathy in one eye?

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Is it possible to have retinopathy in one eye but the other be fine? I've just had my second eye 'de-cataracted' (that sounds awfully American, sorry) and found on leaving that the surgeon had written 'diabetic retinopathy' under co-morbidity. I know my right eye is fine so could he have seen something in my left whilst removing the cataract? Any ideas?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Is it possible to have retinopathy in one eye but the other be fine? I've just had my second eye 'de-cataracted' (that sounds awfully American, sorry) and found on leaving that the surgeon had written 'diabetic retinopathy' under co-morbidity. I know my right eye is fine so could he have seen something in my left whilst removing the cataract? Any ideas?
I've background retinopathy in my right eye, which is also my weaker eye, but not my left. It's perfectly possible.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Oh.
I've background retinopathy in my right eye, which is also my weaker eye, but not my left. It's perfectly possible.

Oh. Thanks for the answer Tim. Shame as I thought my left eye was the good one! I'll have to work extra hard at looking after it now.