Basal insulin ... Tresiba?

Sking89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So...Levimir didn't work for me...early evening highs, and sudden drops (15 to 3 in twenty minutes was the record)...finally switched off Levimir due to red itchy injection sites suggesting I was allergic !!

Now on lantus and find it SO much better, much more even control....however, night time hypos are a big issue and becoming worse! I am going to try (for a second time) splitting my doses....my hypos are usually between 4-6am.

However...having read a few threads on here I've noticed a lot of people experiencing nighttime hypos on lantus...what other basal insulins apart from lantus and Levimir are people on ?? How have people found tresiba?

(I've checked all other factors....bolus, types of food before bed etc.).

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found Lantus to be erratic and that included overnight hypos. I had the same red, lumpy allergic reaction with Levemir, so I was eventually prescribed Tresiba, which I have found to be the flattest basal of the three - I have been using that for almost two years now.

The only downside is that it's more costly than Lantus or Levemir and possibly your CCG won't allow it - it seems to be a bit of a lottery at the moment.

Sking89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They did mention tresiba when I was switched to lantus...so that gives me hope that it may be allowed.... Is tresiba the same then, like a dose a day? Cos it lasts longer doesn't it?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They did mention tresiba when I was switched to lantus...so that gives me hope that it may be allowed.... Is tresiba the same then, like a dose a day? Cos it lasts longer doesn't it?
Yes it lasts longer but you still take it once a day. There is a bit more tolerance around the time that you take it - e.g.: if you postponed it for a few hours it wouldn't make a difference.

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've just joined and noticed your threads, which do relate to me too at the moment. I was on Levemir for nearly 10 years, but after getting nurses at my local hospital to take more interest in my high readings, it was decided I should change to Tresiba (Degludec) in December last year. I have to say though, I am finding it difficult. My DSN describes my graph readings as being like the Himalayas -up and down! I would say this was an understatement. I now get unexpected lows, particularly through the night, and also late afternoons. I have also started to use the new Abbott Libre reader, which scans results rather than having to do finger pricks - expensive but brilliant! Anyway, Tresiba, although only 1 injection a day which is also great, is yet to agree with me. Perhaps early days still, but I have regular meetings to review my readings. I'm not saying this insulin is no good, it just may not suit me. Everybody is individual and unique, so it may mean trying it if you get the opportunity.

Reactions: 2 people

Sking89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the libre too, I love it :). Yea...that's y I thought I'd post on here, I find a learn a lot from other people's experiences...I can't go back to Levimir, not getting on with lantus....but tresiba scares me for some reason ...think it's cos it's so long acting

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi @asa35 and welcome to the forum.

Have you done any basal testing to make sure that your Tresiba dose is correct? The other thing that could affect basal is if you were more active on some days and not others.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone switched because lower doses of Levemir are only active for 12 hours or less (ie 0.2 iu/kg or below) dosages. Even with two shots a day there is a big difference between periods of max and min activity on the basal.

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi @asa35 and welcome to the forum.

Have you done any basal testing to make sure that your Tresiba dose is correct? The other thing that could affect basal is if you were more active on some days and not others.
Hi Robert72; I think that may be a next step. I have gone from 14 units to 12 with big differences. We may see if 13 makes any difference, got nothing to lose I suppose.

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the libre too, I love it :). Yea...that's y I thought I'd post on here, I find a learn a lot from other people's experiences...I can't go back to Levimir, not getting on with lantus....but tresiba scares me for some reason ...think it's cos it's so long acting
Hi Sking89, don't be afraid of Tresiba. It was sold to me as being very stable and one of the new modern Insulins. It has been designed specifically to last 24 hours. Using it in conjunction with the Libre is brilliant. The graphs give you so much information about how the Insulins are working, that it should be noticeable early on how good it may be. I still have ratios to sort out properly, but the information off the Libre is invaluable. I am guilty of getting stressed out if readings are not what they should be (if there is such a thing!), but am trying to be more relaxed to help with the readings. So long as you have a good team to help you, it should be easier!

Sking89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks! No harm in trying I guess? I get stressed out too!!! I hate being out of range :(

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep getting told off, reminding me this isn't helping my BG levels to come down. It's so difficult. I am strict with myself and am testing all the time, yet peaks and troughs seem to be the norm for me. Really struggle to get my head around it sometimes!

Sking89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They are the norm...I want my partner to wear my libre for a two week sensor. So I can see how a non diabetic peaks etc...bet we'd be less strict on ourselves then!!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This is what a non-Diabetic Dexcom trace looks like. The range in mmol/l would be 3.9-7.8. The major difference is that they tend not to peak outside the 7.8 level, which is something that many T1s find a lot harder.(Taken from Sugar Surfing Facebook page). Note the saw tooth profile as the pancreas releases insulin directly into the Hepatic Portal vein, where the majority of it is used directly by the liver to maintain glucose levels, rather than the muscles as used by T1s. The pancreas releases insulin in bursts rather than large dumps like we have to do.
c83d0a6df91c068a8490f560905d262d.jpg

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting viewing! Often wondered how a non diabetics graph would look, and I suppose really it's not surprising. I often see reports of t1's reporting how good their levels are when they wake up, through the day and before bed, but I'm guessing there are a lot more who, like myself, are constantly battling- and losing- to get any type of consistency. Every day is different making it impossible to find patterns to enable me to have the confidence to not have to test 4-5 times a day, every day. My DSN's at the hospital are even struggling to give me answers sometimes! It just goes to show how complicated, and unique, the body is!

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I also have been haveing problems lately with Levimer and very bad injection sites. I have been referred for a pump but been refused. So they tried me on 2 jabs of Humulin. That is no good either. Next week going onto Lantus and humalog Strange as I have been on Lantus before and it was ok for a few years then no good. Want a pump but they will not do it. Tresiba sounds good but think even that is too expensive. Trouble is unless we get treated better it will cost more in the long run

lenna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello Everyone, I'm glad to join this forum

Interestingly, I've also started having some slight irritation on the places of Levemir injections lately, however until this time thought it's just a reaction to some new clothes. Isn't it weird that such a reaction comes after quite a time of using this type of insulin?? why it didn't show up immediately as usually allergy does..? For me it was a bit longer that 1 year, earlier Lantus was my bazal, which was changed due to famous pick reaction.

around 6 months ago I was offered to try Tresibo as well, the new doctor was highly inspired, yet he sounded a bit of a advertisement-like to me...:/ so even though I gave it a thought cuz there were listed pretty good features, inclusive of 1 time shot a day, I stayed with Levemir as it's been tested and proved safe for pregnant women and those planning.. Hm..well I am still on the planning stage lol So with the time passing maybe Tresibo could really perform well, 'guess won't mind to try.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Back to the original question I use Insuman basal, have done since T1 diagnosis ~ 4 years ago. It lasts around 16 to 24 hours and I have no problems with it. Only requires one injection before bed.

I almost had a meltdown when I heard about Sanofi production /supply problems , the thought of swapping basal insulin's terrified me.