Glucophage SR changed to sukkarto SR

fiandlo

Hi. My regular metformin prescription is Glucophage SR and has now been changed to Sukkarto SR tablets. Anyone else had theirs changed and if so have you had any bad effects. I am really nervous about changing. Thanks.

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
It's just different manufacturers. It is still metformin sr.
Mine changes all the time.

Reactions: Beanzy

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a cost savings exercise, I'd bet.

Glucophage is the original brand of metformin and some people seem to notice problems changing from it to generic brands - but others don't. It's really a case of trying it and seeing.

Reactions: Beanzy

DenT46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. My regular metformin prescription is Glucophage SR and has now been changed to Sukkarto SR tablets. Anyone else had theirs changed and if so have you had any bad effects. I am really nervous about changing. Thanks.
In similar position, I've just received a letter from my medical centre notifying me of the change so that I receive "the most cost-effective treatment available". Letter contains no addition information.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@DenT46 - Hello and Welcome to the Forum :).

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is the same thing, just a different manufacturer. The NHS is cost cutting and go with the cheapest supplier. If you are that nervous, ask your G.P. To specifically prescribe Glucophage SR by name. The only possible difference will be in the quality of the active ingredients and mix.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had this happen several times with another medication.
I've been on it now for... um... 20? years, and at various times different pharmacies in different places have given me 4 or 5 different brand names. However the dosage of the actual drug has always been according to the prescription, and I have never noticed any difference in the action of the drug.

Since Metformin may (in some people) produce some unpleasant side effects, I would take it carefully, and check with your doc/pharmacy if you have any problems develop. Other than that, just carry on as normal. :)