Metformin - does it work?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I don't eat big breakfasts as a rule. I drink a Glucerna meal supplement and a couple Zero fruit yogurt cups at most.
For lunch I just had a large Italian sub preceded by 24 units of NovoRapid. I expect BG to be under 8 in 2 hours.
Yesterday super was a hamburger, fries with chili sauce and I has 24 units NovoRapid before. My BG was 6.6.
I won't let diabetes dictate what I eat.
I really admire your stubbornness.

Reactions: 10 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I guess if you are hiking 7 1/2 miles a day you can get away with it but that does seem very carb heavy.

In terms of the original question on Metformin and whether it works, the jury is out for me. What I would say for sure is insist on the Modified Release or Slow Release as it is sometimes called. I put up with 2 months of discomfort before asking for the Modified Release. Since that I have had zero problems.
Hi Klangley I am so glad I have just read your thread, I have been on Metformin 500mg 2 daily for 6 weeks and have just changed today for the SR ones. I was sick of the discomfort too. My doctor said sometimes you can have more problems with the SR ones, what a downer for me. Someone on here said when they changed to the SR ones it raised there BG readings by 2 but now I have read you:)r message I feel a bit better.

Callahan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can anyone please tell me how to convert the above readings from English to €uropean, because although I am English I have lived in Spain for the past 28 years and do not know how to convert one to the other reading. A low €uropean reading is 130, I am usually well over that. I have been on Insulin for the past 5 months, previously I was on Metformin, which did suit me until I had an Op. on my Collarbone and they had to use some Cortisone and Insulin during the Op. and strangely enough I then had upset stomachs if I took Metformin, that is why I am now on Insulin, but not happily.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Multiply the mmol/L number by 18.016 to get mg/dL.

gormarc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sleeping - but have to unfortunately. Feel it is such a waste of time at (nearly) 77 years of age.
Wow, is that really your breakfast? I cannot handle hardly any CARBS for breakfast. no bread, no fruit, bananas known as bad GI, oats now and then but mainly high protein such as fish, mushrooms, eggs small breakfast. People are all different but do you test your blood sugar after a couple of hours after meal? Cream crackers don't sound good either in the CARB area.
Your comment is interesting - I hear so much different advice regarding carbs, but I do think exercise plays a big part in getting rid of excess sugar in the system. I do not use a meter to check my blood sugar after a meal - except when I see my diabetic nurse - the last time I was well within the limit two hours after breakfast. I do really sweat it out with exercise and if anything I perhaps overdo walking. I walk very briskly indeed and after ten minutes I find I sweat a great deal. I also time myself on my walks and find I am breaking previous timing so have to increase the distance.
But I will check with the diabetic nurse to see if they will supply me with a meter. I am with the NHS and have been told in a general get-together with others that if they supplied everyone with a meter the NHS would go bust within year!

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Your comment is interesting - I hear so much different advice regarding carbs, but I do think exercise plays a big part in getting rid of excess sugar in the system. I do not use a meter to check my blood sugar after a meal - except when I see my diabetic nurse - the last time I was well within the limit two hours after breakfast. I do really sweat it out with exercise and if anything I perhaps overdo walking. I walk very briskly indeed and after ten minutes I find I sweat a great deal. I also time myself on my walks and find I am breaking previous timing so have to increase the distance.
But I will check with the diabetic nurse to see if they will supply me with a meter. I am with the NHS and have been told in a general get-together with others that if they supplied everyone with a meter the NHS would go bust within year!
I believe the current standard of care (telling type 2 diabetics to eat a high carb/low fat diet and not to self test) will bankrupt the western world eventually.

Reactions: 4 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Didn't work for me, it just gave me the runs and I am on insulin now.

ljules93

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Perhaps your doctor needs to increase the dosage. I know that it is important to have a balanced consistent diet. Since you've mentioned that you have your diet under control you are aware of this. I find that eating the same approximate amount of carb during each meal everyday also greatly helps. Remember Metformin isn't a miracle drug, there needs to be work done on your part as well such as exercise at least 30-45 min a day.
I have recently begun a blog http://www.mytype2diabetesmanagement.com/ where I will be posting about my diagnosis of being type 2 diabetic, my experiences and how I have managed my glucose levels. I will post things I've done that were successful and I'll also post my failures. Visit my site, it's in the infancy stage but we can learn from each other.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Perhaps your doctor needs to increase the dosage. I know that it is important to have a balanced consistent diet. Since you've mentioned that you have your diet under control you are aware of this. I find that eating the same approximate amount of carb during each meal everyday also greatly helps. Remember Metformin isn't a miracle drug, there needs to be work done on your part as well such as exercise at least 30-45 min a day.
I have recently begun a blog http://www.mytype2diabetesmanagement.com/ where I will be posting about my diagnosis of being type 2 diabetic, my experiences and how I have managed my glucose levels. I will post things I've done that were successful and I'll also post my failures. Visit my site, it's in the infancy stage but we can learn from each other.
I've found that a "balanced" diet is not a useful term (i.e. virtually meaningless). I've also found that eating as few carbs as possible was the best thing for my blood glucose levels and overall health. I look forward to reading your blog.

achike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Metformin works perfectly for my Type 2 diabetes. I have been on it for 20 years with no side effects. Now on 850mg three times daily.

Recent medical research has shown a low incidence of cancer in people taking Metformin compared with placebo. That is a pleasant plus.

However, no matter your T2D medications - diet and moderate exercise are the main stay in controlling diabetes.

Reactions: 2 people

Fragilewend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What ever the nmae of the medication over a three month period it does not work. I do regular blood test and with the drug it is all over the place besides keeping to a good diet. Without the drug I find I am in better control. Please explain.
It worked for me. my HBA1C has dropped from 118 to 61 My weight has dropped from 12st 4 to 10st My BS levels are always under 10mmols Have you cut sugar from your diet and eating low carbs? Maybe you need to increase the dose I take 2x500mg a day. I know some people are on 4tabs a day. Speak to your Diabetic team. X

Tillysmam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I didn't find Metformin decreased my appetite, but I had a metallic taste in my mouth that made cake etc less enjoyable ... My appetite isn't always connected to actual hunger though, but that's another story ...

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I am on 2 daily Metformin 500mg Just changed a week ago to the SR ones as could not tolerate the standard ones. It seems to be working for me, not decreased my appetite much either. Gone from 12st 4lbs to 11st in 7 weeks. Some say Metformin does not do a lot for BG readings, I can not comment on this as I don't know.:)

Mary1680

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being taken seriously
I was prescribed (off label) Metformin 500 mg lactose free twice a day increasing to 3 times a day to help optimise glucose/insulin metabolism. The first few weeks were ifficult as GI symptoms were fierce, then no problems.
My issue was not high blood glucose, instead hyper insulinaemia and Insulin resistance. My BG was normal and HbA1c between 5.5-5.9% over a period of 9 months.
To my surprise, 9 mths later I became diabetic while taking this Metformin regime, plus reducing my weight, increasing my excersise level and reducing carbs.
HbA1c On diagnosis was in normal range 5.7% (ref: 4.4-6.1%) C-peptide slightly elevated at 4.5 ng/ml (ref: 0.0-3), peripheral BG normal nevertheless, BG response to OGTT was abnormal and demonstrated diabetes.
I haven't felt or observed any benefits to taking Metformin but cannot say whether or not my body functions better internally as a result.

yawar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Working too much and less sleep
No-one can. Some report it lowers their BS (not by much mind you) others report no differences but how would you know?. Too many variables.

If you believe you're in control of your levels, the answer lies with you and your GP regarding whether you dump them. I did after 6 months
I am new here, I was diagnosed as TYP2 about 4onths ago, hb1ac of 11.6%. No family history of diabetes, lost 20KG and am on Metaformin Velmetia, feb 3 hb1ac is 5.9% , Blood Glucose level is 4 mmol...doc wants me to keep on meta for another 3 months....but, I am very happy, needless to say!