A new Type 1

Adam09

Hi,

I'm 20 and got diagnosed a couple of weeks ago as having T1, I've probably had the "symptoms" for quite a while, excessive thirst, urination, weight-loss and generally being pretty tired, although I attributed them to being linked, drinking lots, going to the toilet and being sleepy because I got up during the night all the time..well you get the idea :)

I'm a bit weird as I'd prefer not to think I'm ill so most 'got on with it', anyway I got dragged down to the doctors mostly about my weight loss (I'm 6'4/5 and weigh about 9 stone...but I've always been skinny so I didn't pay much notice) got blood tests and everything and told to go back in two weeks for the results, I guess it wasn't good as they phoned me a few hours after my tests telling me I had to go straight back, my blood sugar's came back high (35 or so I think they said) but they were more concerned about the ketones and off to hospital I went, I'm at uni so they put me on a bit of a crash course over a couple of weeks.

I can't remember the proper names but I take a long acting insulin at 6pm and the fast acting ones just as I'm about to eat.

Anyway I've gotten used to injecting/checking my levels and getting my numbers under control through the morning and afternoon (5-8) but it tends to get high through the evening around the teens(Been really hungry since I started the insulin and tend to go a bit nuts at night and don't think I've quite got the hang of adjusting for snacks and extra meals in the evening although they said not to worry about staying on a totally healthy diet right now while I put weight on).

I'm also a student so I generally tend (or used to) drink a lot and eat generally unhealthy food as well as having a love for chocolate although I had to give it up for the first couple of weeks while I stabilised they said. I understand the need to cut right back on these kind of things but don't want to give them up entirely and still trying to gauge what a sensible "treat" would be.

Apologies for the long..I guess it could be classed as an introduction.

I wondered about a few things I wondered about and have been reading over these forums for a week or so now and there is a lot of sound advice about so it seemed the best place to ask! (Apologies I guess a lot of this has been asked before)

- I've read about hypo's and my mum insists on me carrying around Dextrose, would I know if I was having one, I mean is it distinct?...I think I've only once had low-ish blood sugars, around 3.5 I didn't feel good then but I was hungry so I thought it might just of been that, I started sweating all over and shaking (it didn't help that I was trying to inject for food at the time), I kind of just want to have one so I know how it feels so I know and can work out how to deal with it.

- Is there a limit to how many injections I should be giving myself, as I mentioned I'm eating a lot right now so injecting 4/5 times a day for food, usually between 10-16 units each time as the nurse said I needed to each time I had something substantial but I'm a little bit hesistant about overdoing it. I also feel like I'm going through my prescription a lot quicker than I thought would be normal (I guessed a prescription should last around a month?) .

- Drinking. I know it's not a good idea, but I'm a student so I've been used to drinking most of the time and going out, I've cut it down to a few drinks one, maybe two nights a week, I'm used to drinking things like Jagerbombs, Vodka/Redbull, I'm going to guess those should be off the menu now just for the amount of sugar in them, is just a few beers a 'safer' option?

- Excercise, I used to play football and jog often, but for months now before I was diagnosed if I ran for a while I would get cramp in both my calves and had to pretty much hop home, I also wake up with it in the middle of the night sometimes which I don't quite get, is that something related or something else entirely?

- Injecting, I've only been injecting in my stomach at the minute...mostly because I haven't got any fat to inject into but I read about needing to swap where I injected around in places like my arms and things to stop it building up, how often would I need to swap where I inject into?

This got a lot longer than I anticipated so I think I'll leave it there!

Cheers,

Adam

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi adam.
Welcome to the forum. Have a look around, especially the designated Type 1 area. Lots of good information there.

Well that's some 'introduction ?' Lot of questions all in one go. If you have any more put them in 'Ask the Expert's.' :wink:

I've read about hypo's and my mum insists on me carrying around Dextrose, would I know if I was having one, I mean is it distinct?...I think I've only once had low-ish blood sugars, around 3.5 I didn't feel good then but I was hungry so I thought it might just of been that, I started sweating all over and shaking (it didn't help that I was trying to inject for food at the time), I kind of just want to have one so I know how it feels so I know and can work out how to deal with it.

Sounds like you already have, or very close to it. Once you have had one, take it from me you will want to try and avoid another....not very pleasant.

A hypo or hypoglycaemia is commonly thought of as anything below 4 mmol/l. This can happen in even a non diabetic person, usually due to lack of food etc. Hopefully before it get's to that level you should have some warning signs - hypo awareness. If you have little or no awareness it can be very dangerous for a type 1. Drop much too low and you can quickly find yourself dropping into a sleep, diabetic coma and ultimately death. Not to put too fine a point on it !

You need to watch out for: Excessive sweating, faintness, paleness, headache, tingling lips, pounding of the heart, Anxiety, blurred vision, hunger, irritability/confusion, lack of concentration, personality change, difficulty awakening and shaking. Not all at once hopefully !

What you need to do is take 2 - 3 glucose tablets or a sugary drink, Coke etc followed by some biscuits or a small carby snack to stabilise the levels. Try to avoid too much as this sets in a 'roller coaster' effect which is difficult to deal with.

The causes are usually, too much Insulin, not enough food, unusual amount of exercise, delayed meal, stress and hot weather.

Drinking. I know it's not a good idea, but I'm a student so I've been used to drinking most of the time and going out, I've cut it down to a few drinks one, maybe two nights a week, I'm used to drinking things like Jagerbombs, Vodka/Redbull, I'm going to guess those should be off the menu now just for the amount of sugar in them, is just a few beers a 'safer' option?

No lectures. Yes drinking is not a good idea, certainly in vast quantities. As to what is a safe level, that is down to your metabolism. Everything in moderation. I have two pints of Guinness once a week without any problems. You will have to test to find out the effect different drinks have on YOU. Not an excuse for a 'p**s up ! :wink:

I'll leave the rest for others to answer.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Adam 09,

Listen to mum !!!

Good advice to carry Dextrose in case of hypo's. They say that 4 is the floor, regards low numbers. Therefore 4 or below is hypo territory, and best to treat with quick acting sugary snack followed by some bread/toast etc.

I would imagine that you need to monitor your blood sugars more closely; carb count and match to insulin, then check thereafter every hour to see what control you are getting. As a rule you should aim to be below 8.5 after 2 hours, and 6 or below before your next meal (pre-meal).

With good or better control your body will adapt, and perhaps then your exercise can continue. Word of advice, limit the alcohol and drink sensibly, and remember alcohol can raise and also lower blood glucose.

I always try to inject into a different area each time, the stomach is ideal and I believe the fastest at absorbtion, but do try to rotate.

Overall, I suggest that you keep a diary and record all your bg's, insulin amounts and carb intake to see what pattern is developing, if unsure discusss with your DSN or GP.

Regard

Nigel

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agreee with Mum about the Dextrose, not having something with you when you realise you're going low induces a state of panic!

Excercise, I used to play football ...something related or something else entirely?

The cramp should go, I think that they were quite possibly associated with the lack of insulin/ketones. I remember that happening before diagnosis causing alterations in the balance of salts in the bloodstream. (if they don't go see your doc)
But before you get back to exercise its as well to read up about exercise and insulin.

This is a good website with a lot of information.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11071#p104889

lottie91

Hi Adam!
I'm more or less in your situation, that is, I'm 18 and have T1, but I've had it for 6 years now.
I know what you mean about the drinking thing- neither of us will just spend the whole evening sipping diet coke, right? :D when I first started going out in the evening I just acted as if nothing was wrong and ignored my diabetes...now I realise that's being stupid. now I try to avoid those drinks that are just sugar bombs, preferring wine and bier...although every now and then I allow myself something more. I've learnt to check myself more often when I'm out so I know what's going on, and if I'm really high I'll just do 2-3units of the fast acting insulin, then after an hour I check again to see if I need to eat something. I'm still learning what's the best way to do things, so you will have to experiment as time passes. as others have said, everybody reacts in different ways.

about the hypos, yes, you should always have some quick sugars with you. I never go out without Dextrose..believe me, it is not funny when you are low and realise there isn't any place to buy a coke or something. you will learn how to recognize hypos-feeling dizzy, hungry, sweating, shaking, also suddenly changing in an extremely sad/angry mood..just generally feeling awful. again, check your sugars to be sure.
about the places to inject: I tend to prefer my stomach, but just because it's the easiest place to reach, so it's more out of laziness, but I force myself to swap at least every 2days. I guess they've told you that when you inject in the stomach the insulin gets absorbed faster than when you inject elsewhere, so when I inject I also think if I'm high and need a quick action or not.

well, I think that's all I can tell you- hope I've been helpful someway or another :D

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya adam,
welcome to the forum :D

shotgunkiss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Adam,

I've found that jelly babies are the perfect way to get rid of hypos, seeing as you only need one or two to raise you levels!
You'll defo know when youre having a hypo... along with the sweating and shakes, personally i feel like all my energy is draining from my body, horrible horrible feeling! Although sometimes it does take a while to feel its come on!
As for the good old jaegerbombs (my absolute fave, i only managed to give them up for a short while when diagnosed) alot of bigger bars these days stock sugar free redbull, some of my mates have even taken to smuggling sugar free redbull into bars that dont stock it for me!
Anyways good luck with it all, i got diagnosed nearly two years ago, still find it difficult, as i like my food and booze too much!

All the Best x

anne 37

hi l got diagnosed over 2years ago , intially they thought l was type 2 and put me on medication. then 6weeks later my gp called me a 6pm one night and told me to go to the diabetic clinic next day and start on insulin l was actually type 1 , had lost 6 stone and very tired. went next day to get the insulin , and now inject 5 times per day , l was busy at work when l had my first hypo it was very scarey and at first didnt know what was happening to me , sweating , shaking, felt breathless and a pounding headache . checked my sugar 2.5 . luckily l carry glucotabs with me , took 3 , and then a few biccies to bring sugar up again , it took a while , my nurse told me that l shouldnt have took the biccies coz they take longer , she advised l eat a sandwich after the 3 glucotabs . i inject in my tummy to but alternate from side to side for each injection , l aslo inject in my leg to give my tummy a break. . l to dont have much fat there either and the injections can be a bit sore at times but just got to get on with things .hope this helps best wishes x