Diabetic Body Building

joelcam

Hi all,

Are there any experienced diabetic body builders out there?

If so, please let me know so I can ask the right people some questions.

JC

Iambackwards

I weight train and I'm type 1. I've read a lot about how insulin affects body building ever since I read that non diabetic body builders were using insulin to help growth. I might be able to answer some of your questions.

joelcam

Thanks.

I have read a fair bit for the same reasons...

I weight train several times a week, not because I want to look like the Hulk because I don't. I used to box for years so have a good physique anyway, just doing it to stay fit and lean and help with sugars...

Is there any way having diabetes can hamper you in terms of growth though? I know if you are not carbed up then you cannot train as well but I feel okay when I train and feel great afterwoods...One of my biggest concerns is that I want to eat about 6 meals a day, so is this cool to do providing I take an increased number of injections?

I was also told to stay away from protein shakes even though the one I take has only 4g of carbs?

JC

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
joelcam said:
Hi all,

Are there any experienced diabetic body builders out there?

If so, please let me know so I can ask the right people some questions.

JC

Here is a link to an article by a Diabetic body builder you might find interesting ? The rest of the site isn't bad if you are sports mad either.
http://www.runsweet.com/BodyBuilding.html

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Joelcam,

I use the gym regularly and have not been advised to stay away from the protein shakes - my diabetes dietician, nurse and consultant all know I take the shakes to help with training and are all for them.

I have recently been reducing my carb intake to try to even my levels out. I have noticed a couple of interesting things:

1. I do not have the same energy and intensity at training if I don't have a fairly good carb intake before hand. Have gone from 60g to about 20g and have really noticed the difference.

2. I am actually leaner now having gone from an average of 250g per day to about 170g per day. Those are average figures and are just comfortable levels for me personally. I'm not looking for lo-carb debate, just thought I'd let you know my observations.

Point 1 is the key though... without that fuel, your body cannot be expected to perform at the same level. What do athletes eat before intense sport?... carbs. What do body builders eat when they are ripping? ... protein. When are body builders at their weakest?.... when they're ripping.

My initial conclusion is that protein is great for recovery and building the muscles, but you need to give yourself a decent chance of lifting those weights or running the distance by having a fairly decent carb load before hand.

Sam.

joelcam

Thanks for the help guys..

When I first started training I had way too many carbs before a work out and struggled to get the balance right...I do okay now..

No idea how many grams of carbs I take on a normal day though...might start measuring this.

Will also check out that article that was mentioned.....

Thanks

JC

claudela

Are there any special qualities a judge looks for in the teen division at a bodybuilding contest? I'm entering a bodybuilding competition in a few months, in the teen division. I'm 19 -or at least will be by the time the competition rolls around- so this is most likely going to be my last (and first) chance at entering this category. So I was wondering: are there any details a judge is especially interested in for the teen class? Would they rather see good symmetry rather than size? How important is conditioning?

Angeldust

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
WINTER. COLD. RAIN. WIND.
shedges said:
Hi Joelcam,

I use the gym regularly and have not been advised to stay away from the protein shakes - my diabetes dietician, nurse and consultant all know I take the shakes to help with training and are all for them.

I have recently been reducing my carb intake to try to even my levels out. I have noticed a couple of interesting things:

1. I do not have the same energy and intensity at training if I don't have a fairly good carb intake before hand. Have gone from 60g to about 20g and have really noticed the difference.

2. I am actually leaner now having gone from an average of 250g per day to about 170g per day. Those are average figures and are just comfortable levels for me personally. I'm not looking for lo-carb debate, just thought I'd let you know my observations.

Point 1 is the key though... without that fuel, your body cannot be expected to perform at the same level. What do athletes eat before intense sport?... carbs. What do body builders eat when they are ripping? ... protein. When are body builders at their weakest?.... when they're ripping.

My initial conclusion is that protein is great for recovery and building the muscles, but you need to give yourself a decent chance of lifting those weights or running the distance by having a fairly decent carb load before hand.

Sam.

Yeah, you can't perform without carbs for fuel.
I'll save my carb intake for pre-workout and afterwords I have protein shakes to help muscle repair.

bjnsan21

Protein is one of the most important parts of the diet for the bodybuilder to consider. Carbohydrates on the other hand give the body energy to deal with the rigors of training and recovery. Exercise is very important for diabetic people because it helps regulate blood sugar and provide cardiovascular fitness that protects against heart and artery disease.