Advice please

lynbrown

Hi I am T2 on mets and insulin. This morning before b'fast, my reading was 9.2. At b'fast at 9.15am, I had 1 Weetabix, with sprinkle of raw oats and cup of tea with toast and small spread of marmalade. Now at 11am, my reading is 19.4. Should I worry? I take Novorapid and Humulin.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi I am T2 on mets and insulin. This morning before b'fast, my reading was 9.2. At b'fast at 9.15am, I had 1 Weetabix, with sprinkle of raw oats and cup of tea with toast and small spread of marmalade. Now at 11am, my reading is 19.4. Should I worry? I take Novorapid and Humulin.

As a one off, not too much, but you shouldn't let this happen regularly.

How much insulin did you take for this, you actually have quite a lot of carbohydrate there?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I would say the weertabix and toast were the culprits

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, yes its probably the toast, but I love it so much! Will re-think my food intake.

I am not an insulin user, but I would think a slice of toast with the correct insulin dose would do you no harm at all, so maybe it is your insulin doses that need a re-think? Sadly, as a T2 without any medication, toast is out for me other than half a Lidl High Protein roll, which I can cope with. Have you tried these? About 5g carbs per half a roll. As for weetabix, marmalade etc. I can also forget those. :(

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi, I agree with the other posts, try swapping the cereal with eggs and bacon / mushrooms / tomatoes /the Lidl rolls mentioned above, or Burgen Linseed bread is ok too. :)

cazzy1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have tried lidl protein roll and it is closest thing to bread I have found in lower carb things I have tried. 1 roll is 9g of carb so if factored into my 50g or less of carbs a day. I am right in thinking I can have 1 everyday?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It's not a matter of what you can or can't have its what is advisable and what is not and what determines that is what your glucose meter tells you.
I would think that if you factor it in to your daily total and it doesn't spike your BG then it's up to you it wont affect your diet over all.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personally I would worry as I would have mis calculated my carbs to get a reading like that, do you carb count?

Reactions: 3 people