Does low carb work for everyone?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought you meant carbs too. Perhaps try cutting back on protein. I know that made a huge difference in my bs. I don't know what you normally eat of course but perhaps one egg and some avocado or veggies for BF. 2 oz something lunch and 3 for dinner. That should be plenty. Fill the holes with LC veg and some healthy fat. Avocado is very satisfying. I tend to make a meal of it. It also is great for bs. It is also important to keep 4 hours between protein

As to the rest of this, as I progressed in my T2 exercise raised me if it was more than slow to moderate walking. All resistance raised me a lot. Now as T1 I still can't do any real form of exercising without going up and needing insulin then crashing. A game I am not interested in playing or figuring out and it surely does not help my BS. I stay active most of the day so that is going to have to be enough. I am 5'8 and 127 and have been here give or take forever. When I was undiagnosed I was 96 gross pounds of nothing but skin and bones. Weight loss and exercise do not effect my BS in any positive way. I am certainly not advocating people shouldn't exercise or lose weight, I am just stating it does nothing for my BS. But of course that is my individual experience. I also know I become very insulin resistant with too much fat. I need to bolus more for high fat meals. Carbs too but strangely less than fat. I suppose because fat sticks around longer. It's a delicate balance when you need calories from fat to maintain weight but if you are still making insulin the body should find homeostasis. The other option if you keep losing weight because of low insulin it might be time to look into it.

Reactions: 2 people

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your input. It is all very interesting.

I do understand that a normal Hba1c does not mean I am 'cured' I guess I am more disappointed that a normal blood score is not showing as normal numbers on my meter, still prediabetic scores and I find it frustrating. I would love to see the more frequent 5's and even a 4 occasionally, making me feel this is all worthwhile.

I have lost 45lbs in 13 months, with a BMI of 22, and now a size 8/10 when before I was moving towards an 18. I have done this through a combination on 5:2 and low carb.

I exercise a lot, more in the summer when I run 5k 2 -3 times a week and throughout the year I do two dance classes. I have noticed that my BG is a little higher following exercise but know it will help me too.

I will try to increase fat and lower protein and see what happens and perhaps reduce carbs if I feel I need to. I have spent my whole life on a diet ( even when I was slim) so this is a new experience to try and maintain my weight and I must admit that even though I have proved it to be a myth, fat still scares me a little, especially as I had high Cholesterol last year ( although it has come down 1.4 points but still higher than normal at 5.9)

I also should stress less, as I am sure my anxiety plays a part in higher than normal numbers. I am a worrier.

Thanks again

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My CHO was high too so I switched out saturated fats for plant fats mainly. Avocado Evoo nuts/seeds and it went to normal ranges. I also found sat fat to make me more insulin resistant.
If it means anything to you I have yo bolus for protein as much as veggies and I also consider the size of the meal. I eat 3 small meals and when I need a snack its celery, a few nuts/ seeds, olives or a piece of lettuce with mustard or something. No need to OD on fat. I do think your protein could be throwing you off. You really probably only require 1/2 of what you're eating. The rest is likely turning to BS.
These are just suggestions and things to play with. We are all unique but I personally found these were the the tweaks that keep in in the 4' s

Reactions: 5 people

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I do understand that a normal Hba1c does not mean I am 'cured' I guess I am more disappointed that a normal blood score is not showing as normal numbers on my meter, still prediabetic scores and I find it frustrating. I would love to see the more frequent 5's and even a 4 occasionally, making me feel this is all worthwhile.

I have lost 45lbs in 13 months, with a BMI of 22, and now a size 8/10 when before I was moving towards an 18. I have done this through a combination on 5:2 and low carb.

I exercise a lot, more in the summer when I run 5k 2 -3 times a week and throughout the year I do two dance classes. I have noticed that my BG is a little higher following exercise but know it will help me too.

I will try to increase fat and lower protein and see what happens and perhaps reduce carbs if I feel I need to. I have spent my whole life on a diet ( even when I was slim) so this is a new experience to try and maintain my weight and I must admit that even though I have proved it to be a myth, fat still scares me a little, especially as I had high Cholesterol last year ( although it has come down 1.4 points but still higher than normal at 5.9)

I also should stress less, as I am sure my anxiety plays a part in higher than normal numbers. I am a worrier.
Hi @Donnadoobie, take a look at Prof. Ken Sikaris on youtube re. cholesterol, it seem that high cholesterol appears to help as we get older and for women the benefit seems even more marked.
Thanks again

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
my husband thinks I have to eat normal but smaller ammounts thta includes potatoes etc I have no idea what my readings are as thye never show me :(

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my husband thinks I have to eat normal but smaller ammounts thta includes potatoes etc I have no idea what my readings are as thye never show me :(

As a matter of interest Patsy, are you saying someone else does your finger prick tests and doesn't share the readings with you?

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta

Thanks again
You have achieved great results and have nothing to worry about. I think LC has worked for you and you are in the normal range. I think it is an inspiring result.

Reactions: 4 people