Cod liver oil and type 1

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been diabetic for over 35 years now, and I am aged 54. I have had carpal tunnel syndrome on one of my hands and have 2 operations for trigger finger, one on each hand.

My fingers are still quite stiff particularly first thing in morning.

Can anyone advise if they take cod liver oil and is it beneficial or is this just another myth to get us to buy the products

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's said to help reduce inflammation and there's many articles written about this on the web.

I've taken CLO for 25 years, initially started taking it in capsule form then around 5-6 years ago started taking it in a liquid form (a high-strength one 10ml straight off the spoon).

The reason why I started taking CLO was because I badly broke and dislocated my ankle, the hospital made a poor job of setting the joint and when it healed the bones hadn't knitted together right, the Consultant said he could re-break it or I could leave it as it was, however he said if I left it it was likely that I'd get arthritis in the joint in the next 5 years, not wanting to take more time off work I decided to leave it as it was.

The Consultant was a firm believer in the health benefits of CLO and recommended I started taking CLO to help prevent arthritis developing in the joint, to date I don't have any problems with my ankle but whether this is down to the CLO I couldn't honestly say, but my own gp takes CLO and it was him that said to change to taking a high-strength one and take it liquid form.

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
great thread -- i have had 5 operations for trigger finger ( with a 6th acting up now )
do you reckon the liquid is better than the capsules i take ( i still have some stiffness in hands first thing )

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would have thought i'ts likely to be better quality Himtoo. I take it from the bottle too.

Hmm, that sounds bad doesn't it.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
depends if you have it "straight" or with a mixer :)

i shall be out to buy some next time I am out this week.

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It makes me feel bold and brave, taking cods liver oil from the bottle.

Well who wants normal?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
do you reckon the liquid is better than the capsules i take ( i still have some stiffness in hands first thing )

Was that question for me Paul?

If so I'm not sure, maybe the CLO liquid is absorbed better than when it's taken in capsule form, not sure TBH.

It makes me feel bold and brave, taking cods liver oil from the bottle.

Like it @LucySW :D

At first I did eat something straight after to mask the taste but now don't really taste it.......thankfully :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Was that question for me Paul?

If so I'm not sure, maybe the CLO liquid is absorbed better than when it's taken in capsule form, not sure TBH.

Like it @LucySW :D

At first I did eat something straight after to mask the taste but now don't really taste it.......thankfully :)

hi @noblehead
yes the question was aimed at you due to your experience with both forms :)

alexask

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Do you type a lot - is the carpal tunnel in your mouse hand? If so have you tried a better mouse? I use a 3M vertical mouse which really helps. I also use a piece of software called phrase express for bashing out quick phrases

ra

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you type a lot - is the carpal tunnel in your mouse hand? If so have you tried a better mouse? I use a 3M vertical mouse which really helps. I also use a piece of software called phrase express for bashing out quick phrases

ra
I do use a PC eveyday however the carpal tunnel was in my non mouse hand. The trigger finger has been in both hands and on different fingers. Probably just old age

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have taken a high strength cold liver oil capsule for over 25 years now I am 76 and I don't have much problem with my joints or with arthritis so I like to think that it is down to the cod liver oil

humaject

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NOT ALOT
Take it every morning with a multivit and 1 gram vit c in the evening also Organic apple cider vinegar a good slug of that in a glass of water as soon as you wake in the morning Type 1 48 years

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a quick update. i have been taking the cod liver oil capsules for around 3 months now. I have noticed a big difference already.
previously I would wake up around 3 am and be almost unable to make a make a fist, my joints were that seized up. As the morning progressed it would ease off

Now if I wake up early morning I can make a fist with just a little difficulty. My joints certainly feel feel much more flexible and I have a great deal more movement

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I bought a 2ltr container of cod liver oil and dole it out daily to my rescue Labrador who has more than a few problems :) her joints have improved considerably since starting the clo. Hopefully no one on here will end up with a shiny coat or a waggy tail but fingers crossed like her your joints will be more mobile :D