Freestyle libre flash

garywilliams

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are these really only waterproof for 30mins?
I am looking at getting one for my 6 year old daughter but I am concerned that 30 mins of waterproof is not enough especially if swimming. She has the omni pod on and that seems fine in water but then this is changed every 3 days. As if anyone know what will happen I can only assume it will loose some stickiness could I just apply some plaster type tape? or is it the electrics that can't cope?
Thanks you in advance

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Unsure of the answer, but the Libre manual does say it's only waterproof in up to 1m of water for 30mins, you could ring their Care-line and ask if there's any other way of protecting the sensor.

garywilliams

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the reply.
I have a meeting with the rep soon but wanted to know if anyone has any experience with it. In the past people that wear this sort of thing like the omni pod know more then the reps

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
In the past people that wear this sort of thing like the omni pod know more then the reps

I don't know about that, I found the Omnipod Reps to be a great help and picked up loads of tips in the pump training sessions.

TOMJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have taken it swimming in the sea for more than half an hour, often below 1m and encountered no issues. Hope that helps

T1DM2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
324f05d36781aca38579c3c5b4055c97.jpg

A cotton pad over the sensor then opcite covered with rocktape H2O keeps it beautifully waterproof for the life of the sensor :) I swim 100 lengths in the pool so approximately 1 hour daily and have had no problems, just getting the sensor of when it expires as it is always still stuck fast!!!

Reactions: 2 people

Mei_lahn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Rep told me that the 30 min limit is the limit completely submerged. If you come up or are doing more social holiday swimming it's fine I guess. But if submerged for longer period then maybe @T1DM2012 has a good solution