Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I didn't see it either.

EdMac

I'm going to run a malware scan on my computer. But if multiple people are seeing the same thing on the same forum via different computers it points to the forum.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It could be a java script pop up which can be blocked.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Folks, no disrespect, but surely it was blatantly obvious from the get go this was a spammer? All I did was Google that quack Moritz and that told me all I needed to know. I think we have to credit newbies with some intelligence, and if they Google the book, they can see what kind of **** it is.
However, ten pages of posts by forum regulars about a claim that is obviously bs won't help! We can't expect mods to act on only two posts (the OP has not returned) so it's down to us. Maybe now let sleeping SPAM lie?

You critique of the esteemed Mr, or possibly Dr Moritz is some countries, (or possibly not) is quite funny after the previous posts in this thread. I believe he is qualified as a practitioner of Ayurvedic medicine.
Dare anyone criticise him because he doesn't practice mainstream medicine, and dares to lead down his own path, simply because they believe a different one should be trampled?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
What I did notice was when I highlighted @Sirmione 's post to quote it a new browser window opened with a voice saying "we have to amputate your legs today....that's what the doctor told me". That's clearly a message designed to associate someone into, what is for many diabetics, their greatest fear.

Not sure how that happened, but it's not ideal.

Edited to add: I just searched the page using a link identifier and I couldn't see the link so it may be adware on my computer picked up from another site.

I had the same pop up when I clicked on the 'Write your reply' box.

However this was after jumping directly to the forum after clicking on a link in the regular email.

It was also on the "Bad breath? On LC?" thread.

So there does seem to be something strange going on but it doesn't seem to be linked to this thread in particular.

It was some "cure diabetes" site - noticed that before I killed the new tab.

Just checked the History tab and it was h_t_t_p//*****************.com/special/v1/ which seems determined to stop you navigating away from the page.

So - don't know if it is part of the site's advertising or what.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm using Chrome - just tested with Firefox and that didn't seem to have the same problem.

However logging in on Firefox when Chrome was already logged in seemed to cause some problems.

Oh yes it did!

I copied and pasted the link from the email into Firefox (couldn't click as Chrome is my main browser) and I now find a new window (not a tab) which is on hold because Firefox is blocking Adobe Flash.

So I believe I have tracked it down to the URL in the email.

In my email it is

h_t_t_p:/_/communicatoremail.com/In/115305792/0/U_jcz3I4L4R2Cb6U6drCC1Zh5sxeY0Hqs6ZgQwscPlG/

so it looks as though the ad page is being served by whatever translates from the email link posted above to the real link on the site.

I presume that this is either a feature in the "communicatormail" system used by diabetes.co.uk (in which case I am deeply underwhelmed) or the account has been subverted by persons unknown to serve an advert.

Anyway, probably a good idea to disable Flash in your browser for the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I have been trundling round the forum as usual for the last few minutes, and twice when I have clicked on (different) pages I have had pop up 'Diabetes Destroyer' boxes come up.

Never happened to me before, but I am flagging @Giverny to let her know, cos it ain't a good thing!
Cheers Brunneria, we're actually in the process of fixing the issue as I type this! Will let you know once the issue is resolved.

specialk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
These people who have cured themselves and are "free from diabetes"...so, you can eat a pile of toast with cereal each morning now, spuds, pasta, pizza...sweeties even...and have no problems at all? Not sure..really...I think you will find, if you're being honest, that you have managed to get your blood sugars under control by sticking pretty rigidly to a limited diet...so have I..so have thousands...and I eat meat, plenty of it. Will power has not been required at all...it only took realisation and common sense, as it did to stop smoking after 30 years...I don't require will power (or a vegetarian diet) not to jump head-first off a skyscraper for a laugh either....I just do what needs done and avoid what clearly mucks me about. it's not amazing..and it's not magic..and I am not cured...I am careful.and healthier as a result. End of story...no book...no movie...just low carbs really.

Sensibly

Reactions: 4 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
UPDATE: The Diabetes Destroyer redirects should be fixed, now. We recommend clearing your browser's cache/cookies. Please let me know if you experience any other issues! None of your data has been compromised so you should be able to sleep soundly @Brunneria @LittleGreyCat @EdMac @SunnyExpat

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
UPDATE: The Diabetes Destroyer redirects should be fixed, now. We recommend clearing your browser's cache/cookies. Please let me know if you experience any other issues! None of your data has been compromised so you should be able to sleep soundly @Brunneria @LittleGreyCat @EdMac @SunnyExpat

No problem, I never even saw it.
The system has a good enough firewall and security. I hope.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just turned off JavaScript as a precaution and this site no longer fully works.
[Exception added.]

The joys of trying to protect yourself from t'Internet!

BUTCH BRADDON

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Easycure? Are you implying all of us don't have willpower? Kind of sounds like it. Have you read any of the posts? Those of us who have given up all kinds of carbs as well ass whatever foods raise our BS? Is that not will power in your mind? Some of us never weighed what you did. Some of us like our BS lower than 6.5. Persononly mine rarely goes over 5 so please don't insult us with lack of will power as well as needing to eat vegetarian. You need to research diabetes. If only it were so easy as you say.

I'm sure your heart is in the right place but your education is surely lacking.
I dont know what winds me up the most...the original post claiming a vegetarian cure for Diabetes (which by the way is very similar to claims by some US web sites who will sell you a veggie diet which will cure your problem) or your claim that you rarely go above 5.0. Even people without Diabetes have elevated sugar levels >5 after eating a high carb meal. I have often measured some of my "normal" friends and family after say eating a pizza and have routinely found spikes as high as 13 and even 15 after pigging out. To achieve the level of control you claim you are either living purely on vegetables like the original poster, constantly on the verge of hypoglycaemia or you are measuring your glucose levels in a way which is not giving a true picture of your glucose levels on a day to day basis. Either way newly diagnosed diabetics who read this must be ringing their hands and thinking where am I going wrong!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dont know what winds me up the most...the original post claiming a vegetarian cure for Diabetes (which by the way is very similar to claims by some US web sites who will sell you a veggie diet which will cure your problem) or your claim that you rarely go above 5.0. Even people without Diabetes have elevated sugar levels >5 after eating a high carb meal. I have often measured some of my "normal" friends and family after say eating a pizza and have routinely found spikes as high as 13 and even 15 after pigging out. To achieve the level of control you claim you are either living purely on vegetables like the original poster, constantly on the verge of hypoglycaemia or you are measuring your glucose levels in a way which is not giving a true picture of your glucose levels on a day to day basis. Either way newly diagnosed diabetics who read this must be ringing their hands and thinking where am I going wrong!

I wouldn't worry too much about newly diagnosed type 2's getting hung up on one particular thread that's rambled on this far.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Moving at all on days when I feel doggone tired out
You must have been in the forefront of vlcd, if you did a crash diet 6 years ago.
What method/diet did you use.
Was it similar to the newcastle diet, or vegetarian like the op?

Actually, it was in March 2004, 12 years ago now, which was when I was diagnosed. I simply counted carbs at every meal, ate what I liked (mostly good stuff, kept of the junk) within the limits of the carb count, monitored my blood sugar 2-4 times a day, kept a food diary, drew nice graphs of my blood sugar (no computer to draw them for me in those days), lost a couple of stone, walked every day - not far - 15-30 minutes.

I used to reckon on 160-230g carb per day, and morning BGs were usually around 6, and HbA1c between 5.1 and 6.0 - for 6 years. I thought it was a breeze. GP told me that I had the best numbers on the practice records for Type II Diet & Exercise Only. I also took Aspen Glucosync, which contains Vanadium and Cinnamon, which I think does help to tip the balance towards lower BG in the early stages - it's about £23 pounds for a pot (you can Google it if you are interested).

But during years 1-6 it was creeping up from 5.1-6.0, and then it went up one number each year after that, until in year 10 HbA1c was 10+. Exercise regime buckled a bit end of year 6 after having a mini-stroke at age not-quite-56 (don't let that frazzle you though - I also have Atrial Fibrillation, and that was before my Ablation procedure to sort that out, so it was not anything to do with the well-controlled-at-that-time diabetes that caused the stroke).

But my doctor also said, Very well done, but don't kid yourself - Once a diabetic always a diabetic.

Try this book if you are interested in what fuelled my fire when I started out:

The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes: A Patient-Expert Guide for the Newly Diagnosed: The First Year - An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed Paperback – 26 Feb 2004 by Gretchen Becker (you can get it on Amazon)

Gretchen Becker talks about genetic predisposition. I have a friend who is about 25 stone. She is not hypothyroid, she is not Type II diabetic, she is as healthy as can be (bar her high-as-the-sky BMI) - she just eats a lot. She has NOT got the genetic predisposition for Type II. Either you have or you have not! So I hope our Easy Cure friend will go on being 'cured', and I too would like to hear all about it in a year's time, in 5 years' time, in 10 years' time.

At time of going to press I still say, Dead Beta Cells are Dead Beta Cells.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Moving at all on days when I feel doggone tired out
I saw it in my browser. Someone is at it.

I got onto that, and was listening to this really dramatic story of this chap being threatened with having his legs chopped off, and there were quite a few things about this rigmarole that were ringing slow warning bells in my head, and I was trying to check to see if this was Diabetes.uk, and couldn't find anything to say that it was. And then I woke up... the guy was saying, Now, I would love to let you have this for free... and I thought, When I got on here I was clicking to join the LCHF diet, and it said quite clearly, Sign on, it's free... So I got off there as quick as I could go, but not before I saw a box come up saying, Are you sure you want to leave this site? Something dodgy going on there.

Has anyone managed to find out where this was coming from? I got it coming up when I click to join the LCHF diet - there was nothing on the screen to say I was going to get a vid!!

cloudreader

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed T2D back in 2011. BS levels deteriorated over time despite increased medication. One day my doctor said it was time to go on insulin as we had tried everything else and HBAC1 test was over 10. Fasting BS was 190 on a good day, and over 300 on a bad day.
So desperate, I stumbled upon the Newcastle diet and followed it religiously for 8 weeks. After 1 week my BS was normalized (under 100). After the full 8 weeks I went to an italian restaurant and had a load of carbs (salad with two white bread buns, 2 grissini and a large pizza) BS 1 hour later (when I got home) was 140, one hour after that 170, one hour after that 110. So my conclusion is that my condition has improved to pre-diabetic levels? Now I am on LCHF for 6 weeks and have BS between 75 and 95 at any time of the day (even after meals) Whether I am cured or simply controling well my BS, I do not want to upset my pancreas other than on special occasions. Speaking of which on Monday we plan going back to the same restaurant. I am agonizing as to whether to eat only half of the pizza and take the rest home or enjoy myself fully...

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I got onto that, and was listening to this really dramatic story of this chap being threatened with having his legs chopped off, and there were quite a few things about this rigmarole that were ringing slow warning bells in my head, and I was trying to check to see if this was Diabetes.uk, and couldn't find anything to say that it was. And then I woke up... the guy was saying, Now, I would love to let you have this for free... and I thought, When I got on here I was clicking to join the LCHF diet, and it said quite clearly, Sign on, it's free... So I got off there as quick as I could go, but not before I saw a box come up saying, Are you sure you want to leave this site? Something dodgy going on there.

Has anyone managed to find out where this was coming from? I got it coming up when I click to join the LCHF diet - there was nothing on the screen to say I was going to get a vid!!

When did that happen? Can you PM @Giverny with details please and your email address so we can look into it?

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes

'Diabetes destroyer' is currently targetting many large diabetes websites. The exploit was actually in the blog, which has now been fixed. This amended some code which redirected to (and generated popups for) the 'diabetes destroyer' product. This has been fixed. We're currently monitoring the server, Please let us know if anything is spotted.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well I guess this thread is over as the Fat Lady has sung. well sort of sorry could not resist it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.