Lots of testing = scabby fingers! :)

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry for the slightly gross topic but I wondered if anyone has any tips for my fingertips!

I have increased the amount of testing I am doing having just gone on the pump, however, I am noticing my fingertips getting worse with scabs and dry skin, which in turn is making testing slightly more difficult. Anyone use anything specific to help this that that can suggest to me? I change my needle every day - am I doing something wrong?

Jo

xxx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Make sure the lancing device is on the lowest setting (but obviously enough to penetrate the skin).

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope someone will be along to offer advice soon, as it's been mentioned a few times.

I wouldn't recommend my method, although I'm type 2, I did test a lot initially, and while I didn't get dry skin, I did notice a lot of red dots, almost like a tattoo, that became semi permanent.

I actually sanded them out when I was working one day.
Extreme exfoliation, plus the benefits of no fingerprints for a few days!

Maybe a moisturiser would be better, so long as you don't contaminate the sample.

Reactions: 2 people

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope someone will be along to offer advice soon, as it's been mentioned a few times.

I wouldn't recommend my method, although I'm type 2, I did test a lot initially, and while I didn't get dry skin, I did notice a lot of red dots, almost like a tattoo, that became semi permanent.

I actually sanded them out when I was working one day.
Extreme exfoliation, plus the benefits of no fingerprints for a few days!

Maybe a moisturiser would be better, so long as you don't contaminate the sample.

I guess a very light go with a nail file might be worth a go :D I'll keep trying with the moisturisers as well. Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hmmm... mine seems to be on the highest setting... I will give this a go too!

Ouch

I use the Accu-Chek lancing device and have it on setting 2 which is just enough to draw blood, any higher and it does admittedly hurt.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
You shouldn't be poking your finger tips try the side of fingers and use some hand cream to keep fingers nice and soft remembering to wash hand before testing obviously.

Browndoff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had 3 incidents of DKA before Christmas and it lead to wild fluctuations in my BG readings ever since. That made me feel I had to test very frequently to spot - and stop - any trend towards an uncontrolled high BG.
To avoid the nasty consequences on my poor fingertips, I took to testing on the middle and lower pads of my fingers and, when they too became tender, to using the edge of my palms as well. That meant that an area which had been used for testing had time to heal before it had to be used again. Wash your hands in warm water beforehand, if possible - it softens the skin beautifully.

iHs

Over 40 yrs of finger pricking started to leave a toll on my fingers resulting in hard skin like guitar playing with tiny black holes. I got paranoid about it and fed up so got a pumice stone and attacked the hard skin in a bowl of soapy water. I then stared pricking elsewhere. .....arms were ok but left unsightly red holes, earlobes were also ok but a bit difficult and needed a mirror. Toes were also ok but no good when fully dressed. Although I have tried pricking the sides of my fingers and the palms, I've found that pricking the front of my fingers just below the nail bed and digit on a setting of just 1 or even 0.5 is all that is needed to draw a drop of blood sufficient for a teststrip and this doesn't result in prick holes.

DoctorDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jubblyjo, sorry to hear you're having testing problems. I too am on pump. I change my lancet each time I test, and also have a finger pricking device with two different types of end cap- one for fingers and one for pads of hand, arm etc. Your clinic should be able to give you one of these - various companies make them. Can't remember which type mine is, but definitely got it from clinic. Hope this helps.

gillkin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jubblyjo, sorry to hear you're having testing problems. I too am on pump. I change my lancet each time I test, and also have a finger pricking device with two different types of end cap- one for fingers and one for pads of hand, arm etc. Your clinic should be able to give you one of these - various companies make them. Can't remember which type mine is, but definitely got it from clinic. Hope this helps.