confused newbie

vivplum

Hi everyone.my name is viv and i was diagnosed on monday.Really confused about what i can and cant eat from now on,so was really pleased to find this site. :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Welcome Viv
You have a lot to learn as a newbie and once yyou know enough, you'll be able to make informed decisions for yourself.
However, it may help you to know that starch turns 100% to glucose in your body, whereas, for table sugar, it's only 50%. So if you want to keep your blood glucose down, without masses of medication It pays to minimise your starchy foods as well as your sugars.
Were you diagnosed Type 1 or tyoe 2? ther is information on this forum specific to either and then a lot of general stuff.
I'm terribly sorry that we can't really give you specific diet plans, because in the end, you have to find what suits you, your lifestyle and other circumstances.
However, we can say that meat, fish, cheese, and vegetarian protein sources, with plenty of fresh vegetables and some fruit are ideal.
Also, for most diabetics, fats are not an issue, so cream and butter are fine.
Hana

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hey,

sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but im sure youll feel good as new in no time :eek:)

you dont say what type you are but you dont have to disclose anythign you dont want to,

there are lots of different forums here including great ones on low-carbing or non low-carbing to help you decide what sort of diet you'd like to have as everyone differs :eek:)

but i'm sure you'll find your not just stuck to salad forver :lol: and alot of people benefit from a healthier diet!

and theres always someone around to answer question if not just to say hello to,

so welcome to the forum vivplum :)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and a really warm welcome to the forum :D
what type are you?
have a good look around the forum and feel free to ask whatever you want :)

cyrryan

Hi confused newbie,

Diabetes can be difficult in the beginning but it takes time and patience to manage the condition. Type 1 or insulin dependent diabetes takes a longer while to get used to. I would advice you to follow your doctors and hospitals advice. Diet and exercise are important components in the treatment of diabetes. Insulin is vitally important in diabetes type 1. Welcome to the diabetes world and of course to the forum. There is lots of advice and help out there!!

Regards
Caoireall

nopudanymore

Hi, I've just been diagnosed with Type 2 and, because I was leaving the country immediately after, did not have much of an 'induction' by the doctor. He prescribed metformin and I got a free meter from the chemist and got a prescription for test strips. I must admit that I was terrified by testing, as I didn't have the information you need on how to deal with the results. I think this is why people get anxious when testing; you can find what it is and what it should be, but not how to address the issue properly. I knew that if my bg was low (which it hasn't been so far), I should eat (but what? chocolate, I hope!) but had no idea what to do if it was high. I have decided to go down the low-carb route (tho I've made a few errors, like porridge and bananas!) and the side effects of the metformin were so bad that I've decided to stop them (as I have an underactive thyroid and high blood pressure, which were contra-indictations anyway) and just stick to a modified Atkins (i.e., a small amount of wine added!). After 5 days, I'm feeling really good, and my readings are coming down slowly. Thank you everyone for the help.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Welcome ‘nopudanymore’ – your forum name made me laugh but it isn’t true really, you just have to be a bit more inventive with what you eat! :D

My sense of humour also got the better of me when I heard you left the country following your diagnosis!! :lol:

Glad to hear you are getting a handle on it all – well done! :D

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Welcome to Vivplum too, we will be interested to hear how you are getting on. :D