ADVICE

soddy

hi

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 2 weeks ago. (I am 17 years old) i have noticed a change after taking insulin (novamix 30) like i am not as thirsty as i was, however i dont feel "normal" i still feel a bit ropey if you know what i mean. It would be great if someone could tell me how long it can take to feel better again.

soddy

jameshallam

I was diagnosed with type 1 in October, I spent 4 days in hospital (I'm 25 yesterday).
I felt a bit ropey when I came out, it lasts for just over a week. I think it was not due to the insulin but just because I had been quite ill for weeks leading up to my diagnosis and that my body wasn't used to doing any exercise (4 days in a hospital doing very little exercise, lying down all the time).

Most of the time I feel right as rain now-a-days. Everyone is different so you'll just have to wait and see! Good luck

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Soddy,

Its still early days, the thirst would undoubtedly have been from ketoacidosis, the kidneys working overtime to rid the body of glucose, hence why you probably were always wanting the loo for a pee, and the need to drink loads was to replace the fluids.

Two weeks is early, I would say that the recovery rate is dependant on the individual, so maybe worth waiting another week or two. Should you have any concerns, phone your diabetes clinic and speak to a diabetes nurse who will be more than happy to help and offer any advice.

Nigel

LizzieP

Hi Soddy,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I felt totally rubbish for about 4 weeks after diagnosis of Type 1 (nausea, mostly) and I wondered if that was how I was going to feel all the time, which wasn't a nice thought. But, once my body had settled down and started to get used to the insulin, I began to feel completey well and normal which was a big relief. Feel great now. Hopefully it will be the same for you. :)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
as already said above and also when your blood sugars start to become more stable you should soon be feeling better :D

sallywally

Try to worry things will settle down if not you could always try another insuilin we find mixhard is good. meanwhile just take etc care of yourself eat heathy and relax when you need to.try and keep brain active,if you phyisicaly cant do much as this will help to lower blood levels and stop you from being miserable.you be ok proberly heathier and fitter then most people without type1 take care. :wink: