I'm told by a lady at work that testing my BS before and 2 hrs after food is really bad for me!

Pharma

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My work colleagues just look me up and down (I'm a big girl) and nod in that 'fat people are asking for diabetes' way...

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum
I had a so called co worker laugh and say I was expecting that when I said that I was being tested ( I am a larger lady too). I just said I'm glad you find it funny cause I don't. I nearly put her through a window.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a so called co worker laugh and say I was expecting that when I said that I was being tested ( I am a larger lady too). I just said I'm glad you find it funny cause I don't. I nearly put her through a window.

Reminds me of my Nan - she was tiny but had high cholesterol and just couldn't get over the fact my Mum was overweight but hers was on the low side. She would just say "but you're so fat!!". If it had been anyone else I would've thumped them!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
@Pharma & @BeccyB, you two should be in France body guarding the English fans:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a work colleague who is type 1 diabetic as well offer me sweets and I was like 'noooooo I'm being very good, I don't need any sugary treats' >.>

Canadian_cousin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was told today at work by a non-diabetic that self testing was bad for me quote "You're testing far too much. You don't need to test before and after meals, it's asking for trouble" I just walked away, I thought there isn't any point in arguing with her and I couldn't be bothered! She's already told me that my weight loss is bad for me, LCHF is bad for me...... doom and gloom!
Well today my sugar levels were in the low 6's (lowest for a while) so I must be doing something REALLY bad/wrong :confused:;):eek::rolleyes:o_O:wacky::wideyed::woot::***::dead: :)
Walking away from ignorant people is hard to do because you really want to tell them that they are brain-dead! Good for you! Fight the good fight!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've lost just over 2 st in weight and I'm being told at work (always by the same 3 women) that I'm taking it too far. One said she would pray for me not to get ill with the weight loss:banghead: Doesn't understand that I was ill when I was just over 11st! I'm 5ft 2in and now weigh 9st 1lb I'm aiming for 8st 8lbs, the nurse says to go for 8st
Oh yes and the other thing I was told was "Oh you have the good diabetes. T2 is better" o_O I just walk away and think what numpties (the best word I can come up with on a Sunday!)
One young man at work told me "Your bum is much smaller now, looks good" That type of comment I can accept :happy:;)

I think you've done just fab losing so much weight - but as a newby I am still trying to find my way - one book I'm reading says I should eat 75% of my daily consumed calories should be fat in a day, and just 50g - 150G carbs. I ask - how does one get that much fat in one day, ie in what form can one consume it???

Good luck with your 8st, I'm sure you will get there. Rgds Alison

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think everyone has the right to determine what works for them. For your detractors like this woman at work, you may just reminder that this is what works for you and her approval is required or requested. She may be trying to help, but she needs to back up her statements with fact - and I doubt she can.
That being said, I do know some who test their blood at the drop of a pin, as much as every half hour. I couldn't live that way, but if it works for them, then fine. It may be too much, but who am I to say?

Reactions: 2 people

fene48

I was told today at work by a non-diabetic that self testing was bad for me quote "You're testing far too much. You don't need to test before and after meals, it's asking for trouble" I just walked away, I thought there isn't any point in arguing with her and I couldn't be bothered! She's already told me that my weight loss is bad for me, LCHF is bad for me...... doom and gloom!
Well today my sugar levels were in the low 6's (lowest for a while) so I must be doing something REALLY bad/wrong :confused:;):eek::rolleyes:o_O:wacky::wideyed::woot::***::dead: :)
Well done and with class!!!:stop:

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Well done and with class!!!:stop:

Boom! Great BS control against all that nastiness...I agree with you fene48, top of the class:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I think you've done just fab losing so much weight - but as a newby I am still trying to find my way - one book I'm reading says I should eat 75% of my daily consumed calories should be fat in a day, and just 50g - 150G carbs. I ask - how does one get that much fat in one day, ie in what form can one consume it???

I got info from here and the 'what did you eat today'. Also the book by Dr Michael Mosley 'The 8 week blood sugar diet' was a great help. You can use the recipes before you read the whole book. Also the low carb site on here helps too www.diabetes.co.uk/lowcarb/sign-in.php a weekly program and very informative

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
Walking away from ignorant people is hard to do because you really want to tell them that they are brain-dead! Good for you! Fight the good fight!
Why would you bother NOT telling them? I'd have to ask why they think they have any right to comment. Of course you could start 'commenting' on them too I suppose :p

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions

I'm another blood sugar dieter - although having gone past the 8 weeks I'm no longer only eating 800 calories (but not really upped it a lot as I still have about 2 stone to go) which is surprisingly easy to stick to. But there is also the dietdoctor.com site and once you start looking up high fat/low carb the net is full of advice and recipes. I also like ketodietapp.com

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

You could of said : 'If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong' ...............:p short and simple :)

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done. Learn to ignore people when their opinions are not based on facts.

Sent from my LG-D620 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

JIMBO1944

I gave my sister a loan of a diabetes book from Diabetes UK when first diagnosed as she was telling me what to do she gave it back I said is there anything in it your not sure of replied no and continued to criticize me, especially in front of strangers to me, when we were eating and she still does it so I don't bother to visit anymore.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why would you bother NOT telling them? I'd have to ask why they think they have any right to comment. Of course you could start 'commenting' on them too I suppose :p
Sometimes it gets to people more if you just ignore their provocative comments. There's an art to knowing which battles are worth fighting...

Personally I'm often not prepared to let the added stress of having a bit of a "ding dong"with someone adversely affect my glucose levels - they're often not worth doing that to myself for.

Robbity