Insulin/pump not effective at night ?

Silas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta.
This may seem silly, but i do have to ask - Is it possible that given a certain location of your infusion set and the way someone sleeps that an insulin pump may fail to get the insulin into a persons body at night while they are asleep ?

The reason I ask is obviously due to my own experiences lol I have noticed recently that my sugars will be great all day long, no issues with basal or bolus. Then i go to be and they seem as if they just go up and up all night - even with correction boluses!

Last night i went to bed with a 7.8, gave a correction and went to sleep. At around 3am i found my sugars up around 10 so i gave a correction AND set a temp basal of +30%, went to bed. woke up 3.5 hours later and my sugars were even higher so i gave another correction and another temp basal of +30%, then when i woke this morning 3 hours later my sugars were still 11.6 so i gave a correction again and almost immediately saw them dropping.

It could very easily be something I ate before bed, but i want to know if its possible that delivery of insulin could be prevented ot disturbed - Am I sleeping in a way that's stopping the infusion set from working ?

I use the 6mm Animas set, and its usually placed somewhere on my rear lol I have had this issue before but i wanted to ask to be sure.

Thank you all!
I don't use a pump but that same thing often happens to me. I am currently on a diabetes research trial using the new Flash meter FreeStyle Libre. This has been quite enlightening because I also see my blood glucose rising overnight without good reason. With the aid of the meter's graphs, I can see that I sometimes dip near 4.0mmol/L followed by a sharp upward rebound.
I am therefore coming to the conclusion that I must never dip too low otherwise I will rise rapidly and even additional bolus doses have little effect at correcting my glucose level.

kerriel1

Hi Hun it may even be that your hourly basal rates need to go up at night. You can do the rates on an hourly basis . Xxxxx good luck I know it's a win in the **** but when you get it right it's worth it

MariaClaire

If you're pump was entirely ineffective you would know about it, you'd feel very ill even if after a few hours if your body was not receiving any insulin. Instead adjust your basal, I know I need a much higher dose when I'm asleep as I'm not using any energy!

Hope this helps! :)

This may seem silly, but i do have to ask - Is it possible that given a certain location of your infusion set and the way someone sleeps that an insulin pump may fail to get the insulin into a persons body at night while they are asleep ?

The reason I ask is obviously due to my own experiences lol I have noticed recently that my sugars will be great all day long, no issues with basal or bolus. Then i go to be and they seem as if they just go up and up all night - even with correction boluses!

Last night i went to bed with a 7.8, gave a correction and went to sleep. At around 3am i found my sugars up around 10 so i gave a correction AND set a temp basal of +30%, went to bed. woke up 3.5 hours later and my sugars were even higher so i gave another correction and another temp basal of +30%, then when i woke this morning 3 hours later my sugars were still 11.6 so i gave a correction again and almost immediately saw them dropping.

It could very easily be something I ate before bed, but i want to know if its possible that delivery of insulin could be prevented ot disturbed - Am I sleeping in a way that's stopping the infusion set from working ?

I use the 6mm Animas set, and its usually placed somewhere on my rear lol I have had this issue before but i wanted to ask to be sure.

Thank you all!

Insulinman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Idiots

Thank you all!

Insulinman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Idiots
HI Diamatic
Try and get a C.G.M Fitted for a few Days if you are under a Hospital, This will show a Hypo Time and Level of the Hypo
if you are the same as me You will need to put in Sugar (Biscuits plain) before you go to Bed (NOT INSULIN its caused by
pulling Sugar, Insulin only Pulls more Sugar. A lot of People Have to take slow acting food 2 - 3 Biscuits without insulin
(NO BASAL/BOLUS) before Bed.
If I have a BAD Hypo in the Night my Sugar is sky High in the morning, If I pump High Bolus Sugar goes even Higher
If I am wrong (high Sugar) Insulin makes the sugar Vanish.
Insulinman still on a Pump

welsh polly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I am Type 2 and find my blood sugars either only go down by 2 units or go up at night. Even when I eat hardly anything at all my sugars will rise. I am on Metformin and Trulicity. Can anyone advise?