Kale

broads

Does anyone have a tasty recipe for kale please? As we are decorating our kitchen I do not have a hob or oven at the moment. I do have a steamer, slow cooker and microwave plus an enormous bunch of kale. Help. Thank you.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Sorry!
It's one of the rare veggies I don't like
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
broads,

Can't think of any, why don't you look on google for recipe, sure to turn something up.

Nigel

For the faint hearted best as soup.

Otherwise steam with some chopped fatty smoked bacon or the the lumps of pork fat you get it Polish delis.

Dobbs

eat it as a super-healthy side dish with much tastier things and, uh, "think of England"??? :lol:

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Lovely when steamed and served with melted butter and freshly ground black pepper. :D

We had loads in the garden but some hungry deer nipped over the hedge and snaffled it all - just the main stalks left! :shock: 8) Must be really good for you!

broads

Thanks for the replies. I have a veg box once a fortnight and as I haven't got my hob or oven for about 3 weeks I am having a few problems using the veg I get. I HATE throwing any food out. I used some of the kale tonight. I steamed it and tossed it in fresh lemon juice and butter (realbutter not a spread) Tasted almost brilliant except I put a bit too much lemon juice with it. Still have some left so any more ideas please.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
tossed in olive oil, finely chopped garlic and black pepper or chili flakes or even a little real chopped chili. (normally steam then stirfry for a minute.. perhaps you could steam, toss in the bits and just put in the microwave for a few seconds.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Kale + coconut.
A great recipe my ex's mum gave me... cook it any way you like, preferably stir-fried, at hte end add some coconut / coconut milk and some peanuts.
Yum, yum and more yum.

banjo brunette

Yum - just had some kale for tea tonight but nothing fancy. We ate it steamed with loads of butter and pepper, together with some cauliflower and cheese and some lovely pork fillet. I love kale but recently ate some that was not well washed beforehand and all the grit put me off for a while. Definitely good with Pork/sausages/bacon, beef and really strong gravy.
Cheers, BB :D

broads

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have saved them all and will give them a go. Best wishes to you all.

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I absolutely love Kale when we lived in Holland we used to eat it the dutch way its known as boerenkool (farmers cabbage) trouble is as a diabetic its no longer on the menu lol but here goes

potatoes
kale
bacon bits

boil your potatoes and kale in seperate saucepans just before end of cooking fry the bacon bits till crispy, dispose of water from pots and kale then mash together then pour over the bacon bits with all the fat and stir in. This is served with a Mattesons boil in the bag sausage.

as the dutch say eetsmaakelijk (eat well)