Home Brewed Low Carb Beer

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Does anyone brew a low carb version of beer at home? I used to brew all sorts of beers but cut out alcohol as I believe it was the cause of my neuropathy not an HbA1c of 5.9 at diagnosis. My husband and I have been enjoying a small commercially bought low carb beer on our really hot days and I think it is entirely possible to do a home brew version. The ones we like have 0.9 carbs per 100 ml.
Alison

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Hi Alison,

I purchase some supermarket tins of low carb in the UK at approx 4 grams per tin.
However, a strange thing has been happening recently. I have started buying draught ales at about 18g of carb per pint (A treat about once a fortnight). I only drink two and always with food (lo-carb food). My 2 hour readings are always less than 5!. It is as though the BG lowering effect of the alcohol is greater than the BG raising effect of the carbs in the ale and food. My normal mid day +2 reading following a low carb meal is around the 5.6 mark. I joked to my wife that if I went down the pub every day I would improve my HBA1C!.

Regards Steve.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You could make a convincing case for a long term clinical trial there Steve. Count me in (for the greater benefit to mankind, you understand.) :wink:

fergus

gardenfairy22

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but my OH is just a week into diagnosis, trying low carb but would like to know that beer could be back on the menu eventually, as a treat - any chance of the name of this miraculous beverage and where it can be purchased, please? Hoping it is in a can, as he isn´t one for the pub. Thanks in advance.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Hi Gardenfairy,

the magic potion is .......

Sainsbury's own Diat Pils (Not mis spelt).
In a silver and blue can.
It's less than 4g of carbs per can, but is 6.5% ABV.

He could eat a cheese and onion sandwich made from Fergus's lo-carb bread, washed down with a couple of cans and hey happy days are here again!

Welcome to my research program!!

Steve

welshtony

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My research has been a bit more extensive, as I've not changed my drinking habits, but have changed my eating habits to go low(er) carb over the last 18 months.

My drink of choice is handpulled Young's bitter, or Sharps Doom Bar, and I have always had low readings 2 hours after a pint or two. I can't recall a reading above 7 two hours after beer and food, but have had readings above 9 on wine and food. Go figure. I have tested after the 2 hours occasionally, but the readings then have always dropped, so I determined my peaks were usually about the 2 hour mark.

Saturday, after a rugby day at Twickenham finished off by a Chinese meal, I managed a 6.1 2 hours later and a 5.9 next morning. :shock:

Downside was I was 3lb heavier this morning, though! :twisted:

Now, I can't stress enough. This seems to work for me. I'm not saying it will for others, but it's easy enough to test, so if it's an important part of your lifestyle....do so!

I read with envy that others seem to be able to eat as much cheese as they like without spiking. I can't; but I have my beer as a fallback, which is a decent substitute :) .