Newbie Type 2 seeking advice on how not to lose too much weight please

sololite

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I was diagnosed with Type 2 four weeks ago and have been put on Metformin. My diabetes nurse has done more blood tests which I am waiting for as she thinks I might be something called 1.5. I've been steadily losing weight all year thanks to improved diet and lots of cycling (but she also suspects the diabetes). I just went under 12 stone for the first time in decades and looking for guidance on what to eat that will maintain my 12stone but not include the pasta/rice/bread/beer (I don't have a sweet tooth) that I suspect have been a contributor to keeping my weight up. Most of the dietary info I can find seems to relate to losing weight not maintaining it, so would welcome any advice from anyone in a similar situation.

kind regards,

Chris

sololite

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks but doc wants me to get my cholesterol down too so I guess fat wouldn't be an option?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid it is either extra fat or extra protein. There is nothing else if you want to keep your carbs low.

Do have a read round the forum about the relationship between fat and cholesterol. There are many links to the latest studies and you must make up your mind if your doctor is way behind the times and just churning out the outdated NHS advice to eat low fat, or whether you want to stick to what he says. What you can't do is very low carb and low fat. Your energy would run out and your weight would drop quickly. Apart from which, low fat products are highly processed and not very good for us in general. Natural is best.

If you stick to good natural fats there is no problem. Personally I maintain my weight with fats, but most fats also contain protein, so I guess it is a mixture of the two. I am very low carb and eat extra eggs, cheese, butter, cream, full fat yogurts and so forth for the additional calories required to maintain weight. There are also nuts, olive oil and avocados that will help, and maybe a glass of red wine with your meal if that is your thing. Just ditching any low fat products will help.

Some on here feel that saturated fats such as red meats, butter and other dairy doesn't help their cholesterol. Others, like me, find all it does is improve my cholesterol. Best to search out all those links I mentioned and make your own mind up.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am under weight and so I eat plenty of good fats butter ,cheese ,full fat yoghurt ,Jersey double cream ,coconut oil etc .My cholesterol levels came down from 7'5 at diagnosis to 5'3 So I am happy with that but that is me and perhaps you may be different There has been lots of information about cholesterol and fat intake on the forum some one may be able to link some thing for you I am not very computer savvy enough !!
CAROL

sololite

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm afraid it is either extra fat or extra protein. There is nothing else if you want to keep your carbs low.

Do have a read round the forum about the relationship between fat and cholesterol. There are many links to the latest studies and you must make up your mind if your doctor is way behind the times and just churning out the outdated NHS advice to eat low fat, or whether you want to stick to what he says. What you can't do is very low carb and low fat. Your energy would run out and your weight would drop quickly. Apart from which, low fat products are highly processed and not very good for us in general. Natural is best.

If you stick to good natural fats there is no problem. Personally I maintain my weight with fats, but most fats also contain protein, so I guess it is a mixture of the two. I am very low carb and eat extra eggs, cheese, butter, cream, full fat yogurts and so forth for the additional calories required to maintain weight. There are also nuts, olive oil and avocados that will help, and maybe a glass of red wine with your meal if that is your thing. Just ditching any low fat products will help.

Some on here feel that saturated fats such as red meats, butter and other dairy doesn't help their cholesterol. Others, like me, find all it does is improve my cholesterol. Best to search out all those links I mentioned and make your own mind up.

Thanks for all this great advice. I will certainly do my homework. When my diabetic nurse said I should see my doc about 'treatment' for my cholesterol (6.1) I was determined to explore healthy eating options rather than go from zero to two medications in the space of four weeks. It sounds like everyone is different and react to foods differently, I am going to perceiver with the natural products you mention - especially the red wine!

Reactions: 2 people

sololite

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
I am under weight and so I eat plenty of good fats butter ,cheese ,full fat yoghurt ,Jersey double cream ,coconut oil etc .My cholesterol levels came down from 7'5 at diagnosis to 5'3 So I am happy with that but that is me and perhaps you may be different There has been lots of information about cholesterol and fat intake on the forum some one may be able to link some thing for you I am not very computer savvy enough !!
CAROL
Thanks for this advice Carol. I will try some of these items for sure. I am glad you got your's down. Kind regards, Chris

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all this great advice. I will certainly do my homework. When my diabetic nurse said I should see my doc about 'treatment' for my cholesterol (6.1) I was determined to explore healthy eating options rather than go from zero to two medications in the space of four weeks. It sounds like everyone is different and react to foods differently, I am going to perceiver with the natural products you mention - especially the red wine!

Do you know the breakdown of your lipids? The total is far less important. It is the breakdown you need to know. You need to know your HDL, LDL and triglycerides before you decide on how to tackle your cholesterol. The triglycerides are the most important. You may be OK. If you don't know these, ask for a print out of your test results.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks but doc wants me to get my cholesterol down too so I guess fat wouldn't be an option?

I find healthy non saturated fats work for me.
Olive oil, fish, classic mediteraneaan diet such as http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...ting/in-depth/mediterranean-diet/art-20047801

Go easy on the bread, and other carby stuff though.

I avoid saturated fats, - I don't eat things like meat, animal fat, dairy, cheese, butter, coconut oil, if I can avoid it, it seems to work for me.