low carb bread

libbyM

Is anyone else as fed up as I am attempting to make low carb bread which tastes revolting and doesn't even rise as recipe suggests? I followed a recipe this morning very very carefully as it asked for 5 eggs, coconut flour, ghia seeds etc. none of which are cheap to buy. Used a tin 24cm x 14 which was the smallest I own and did it rise, did it heck! Feel like throwing it out of the window hopefully not hitting my cat on the head as it would probably stun him. lol I haven't tasted it yet but am disappointed it didn't rise at all. 2 tb baking powder and 5 eggs. Can't understand where I may or may not have gone wrong.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have given up on bread, having tried a few. Although I do have the occasional Lidl High Protein roll, which is the best of the bunch.

All efforts to make my own have been disappointing
Sukrin is just too expensive to be sustainable
Burgen spikes me and makes me ridiculously thirsty - think it is the soya
HiLife spikes me
and all the homemade recipes just resemble bricks
Only Lidl roll was enjoyable...

I just don't bother. So many bread alternatives out there, from oopsie bread, and lettuce leaf wraps - much simpler to just not bother.

libbyM

I have given up on bread, having tried a few. Although I do have the occasional Lidl High Protein roll, which is the best of the bunch.

All efforts to make my own have been disappointing
Sukrin is just too expensive to be sustainable
Burgen spikes me and makes me ridiculously thirsty - think it is the soya
HiLife spikes me
and all the homemade recipes just resemble bricks
Only Lidl roll was enjoyable...

I just don't bother. So many bread alternatives out there, from oopsie bread, and lettuce leaf wraps - much simpler to just not bother.
I so agree but it's a pain having to make something like oopsie when all you want is a nice sandwich!

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just made oopsie "bread" for the first time. I saw the recipe on here and couldn't believe how eggs and cream cheese could make anything that resembled bread. ??
I'm actually pleasantly surprised, I added the optional baking powder and a little physillium husks and they have turned out fairly acceptable. I've just eaten one as a hotdog with a high meat sausage and homemade salsa and am very happy with my efforts.
However I have 5 left. How do you keep them and for how long please ?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm with brunneria and the lettuce wraps. Love them. So fresh and light. Anything goes on them

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the Sukrin bread mix - a small pack will make 8 "buns" or a loaf ro last me a week. The buns will do for burgers and cheese on "toast". I also make a sesame flour and flaxseed loaf which can be cut in half and frozen - each half lasts a week. Both these are toastable and also nicely as a sort of dip butty fried bread thingy with cheese abd bacon. i'll also make savoury muffins, and scones/biscuit. None actually taste like real bread but they are - for me anyway - a good enough substitute if I want something comforting and filling. :p

sesame_flour_loaf.jpg

My biggest issue is finding enough space in one of our two freezers to freeze anything as my husband stuffs them full and then buys enough fresh food for a week so they remain permanently jammed up....:wideyed::wideyed:

Robbity

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've just made oopsie "bread" for the first time. I saw the recipe on here and couldn't believe how eggs and cream cheese could make anything that resembled bread. ??
I'm actually pleasantly surprised, I added the optional baking powder and a little physillium husks and they have turned out fairly acceptable. I've just eaten one as a hotdog with a high meat sausage and homemade salsa and am very happy with my efforts.
However I have 5 left. How do you keep them and for how long please ?
You keep them in the refridgerator in a container with a lid. They are good for 3 or 4 days. They make good sandwiches and burger buns.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
719_rJ2mJVF4OcT20SSi_2.jpg

Probably not much help to you but I eat the Aldi protein bread occasionally. Unbelievably good and only ~ 7g per 100 g. Not sure if you can get it in the UK though. All my attempts at making low carb bread were disastrous!