Type 1 Diabetic Prime Minister

Kirsty-Marisa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hmm. I don't like this.
'Politics' aside excuses her voting for the bedroom tax and against gay adoption and marriage.
Let's not claim her victories as our own when she is an unkind and discriminative person.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Quite Frankly, if I never knew she was type 1 now, what makes you think she'd do anything for us? Like other posts have said she is a tory politician set to privatise the NHS at the cost of others. They become leaders to pursue their own egos and I think it will make no difference- if not worse for both Diabetics. As they automatically cut the NHS, they cut off our services too.

Nickglanf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The Torys are not called the nasty party for nothing . I remember Thatcher very well back in the 80s her party did a lot of damage to a lot of community's in the north of England . Mrs May , said in the press that she wants to be the next Maggie Thatcher. So if that's the case , I can see things could get a bit harder for the rest of us. Once a Tory always a Tory.
This just my opinion from past experience. I just do not trust them.

elaineadams

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
It looks likely that the UK could have a Type 1 Diabetic as Prime Minister in Teresa May.

Would this be good for T1 diabetes?
What an ambassador for diabetes. :D I would hope that she would acknowledge her diabetes in some of the interviews she will be doing, and speak up about the struggle for those of us who are doing our best to continue to work with such a debilitating condition. I would love to hear her diabetes story, and how she has managed to work at such a high level for so many years.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What an ambassador for diabetes. :D I would hope that she would acknowledge her diabetes in some of the interviews she will be doing, and speak up about the struggle for those of us who are doing our best to continue to work with such a debilitating condition. I would love to hear her diabetes story, and how she has managed to work at such a high level for so many years.

Here you go - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/News/Balance-interview-with-Theresa-May/

She was diagnosed in 2013, so not that many years.

Also I would imagine that as a type 1 Home Secretary, and now PM, you probably have a minion to bring you hypo treatment when required, rather than having to pull a delightful yoga pose to grab the biscuits behind you in order to deal with dropping blood sugar and and stay on a conference call. With high power comes high levels of assistance - for the whole period of her diagnosis Theresa May will have most usually been the most important person in the room and that will put different slants on how she makes her diabetes fit in with her life. Equally, being so high profile will probably create its own unique diabetic challenges. Not better, not worse - just different.

So I'm happy to have not very much focus on her diabetes. I don't really want Ms May's experience to be extrapolated as "the type 1 experience", because the fact is it's different for everyone. And, she's been very clear it that she refuses to let it be a big deal for her, so it would be a shame if it was artificially made into a big deal by the press / public, even if that is the well intentioned diabetic public.

Reactions: 4 people