Rice rice and rice

Hattonma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok just a question for you guys out there. Today no word of a life has been my best day as a diabetic ever. My sugar has remained at 7 throughout the day. Using a libre at the min and it hasn't shifted. Until now

Had salmon and rice for tea. Injected according to packer for carbs. 40 min later sugars dropped dramatically and despite having numerous cans of coke and a couple of crumpets my sugars have just started steadying.

If anyone could advise what the f**k is going on I would be grateful. I always thought rice was high give and rose sugars quickly

Any ideas appreciated. Just a frustrating end after a great day

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Rice takes ages before it hits the system then when it does it takes forever and a day o come down again. Most people split their dose if eating pasta or rice and some just inject after their meal this does depend on what else is on your plate though.
So be prepared for a very hefty rise in blood sugars from now on and through the night. :(

Reactions: 2 people

Hattonma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @CarbsRok that it something to look forward to. On a serious note thanks I didn't realise that. Looks like I will be crossing rice off the menu then lol

Hattonma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just like magic my sugar has now started to climb. 3 1/2 hours after eating. Looks like I will be struggling to wake up with decent sugar

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thanks @CarbsRok that it something to look forward to. On a serious note thanks I didn't realise that. Looks like I will be crossing rice off the menu then lol
No you don't need to take rice of the menu just experiment as to how much up front insulin you need and then how much gap between the second injection. Others will be able to help you out more because I don't eat rice due to not liking it :)

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I haven't eaten rice for 4 years i.e. since T1 diagnosis. Couldn't handle it. Plenty of low carb and more predictable substitutes like cauliflower rice or cabbage

viv k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I substitute pearl barley for rice. Its only 21% carb and low GI. I simmer it for about 30-40 minutes. It freezes ok, so when the rest of the family is having rice, I thaw and heat a serve of barley in the microwave. Easy

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just like magic my sugar has now started to climb. 3 1/2 hours after eating. Looks like I will be struggling to wake up with decent sugar

I find different rices affect me differently, according to their GI. I usually eat basmati rice.

All you can do is experiment as @CarbsRok has said. I eat rice a lot, but keep my portion small and count the carbs carefully, as well as timing my bolus appropriately.

Hattonma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I am not sure what happened in the end last night. Before bed I had a 1 unit of Qa insulin as sugar was 9 but conscious it was going to rise. Woke up this morning and reviewed on my libre and my sugar dropped to 6 and stayed there for the night. It's almost as if the rice had no effect.

My only logical conclusion is that my la insulin looked after it. Tbh I don't really understand lol.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I am not sure what happened in the end last night. Before bed I had a 1 unit of Qa insulin as sugar was 9 but conscious it was going to rise. Woke up this morning and reviewed on my libre and my sugar dropped to 6 and stayed there for the night. It's almost as if the rice had no effect.

My only logical conclusion is that my la insulin looked after it. Tbh I don't really understand lol.

I had a similar experience with pasta last night, I split dosed for the pasta but didn't do my second jab, was expecting to rise over night, didn't and libre graph showed a steady decline over night - and yes TBH I don't really understand either!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So, just to throw in a curveball, when I eat white rice, I get no delays at all in glucose rises. Brown rice isn't much better. The only rice that really is slow for me is wild rice.

However. Context of rice makes a big difference. If I eat rice with a curry, it takes a lot longer to take effect. Likewise with anything else that's particularly high fat.

Also, just a question, when you Carb counted, using the packet as a basis, did you inject for the cooked weight or the dry weight of the rice? That's a mistake that we've all made at one time or another.