Should I be speaking to my doctor?

Sharlieboo

Hi,

I haven't posted here before although I have posted on the greetings board. My name is Sharlie, I'm 35 and was diagnosed with Type 2 at the beginning of December last year. I have a bmi of 23.5 so I'm not overweight and at my first diabetic check-up last week I was asked questions and told my diet was good and healthy and in fact not to lose any more weight. Initially my bg was just over 18, dropped to just over 16 a few weeks later and at that point I was prescribed Metformin 2 x 500mg each day. At the beginning of Jan I was prescribed simvastatin to take each night because whilst cholesterol was not too bad at 5 they want it below 4.

At my check last week my bg was still high at 9.7. There were acetates/ketones? in my urine and I have to do another sample in a month's time so they can keep an eye on those levels. My bp was up then too. I've been switched to glucophase sr prolonged release tablets 2 x 2 500mg a day - so my dose has been doubled.

My question is whether I should speak to a doctor? I've been feeling really off colour for the past week, or so, with diarroeah on and off, mostly 'on' over the last two days. I have a pain in my back and down my side and in right lower abdomen. It comes and goes in severity but is never what I'd call severe. More like toothache, if that makes sense? I feel really out of sorts and quite tired but don't have any symptoms that I think the doctor would call an emergency.

Is this all because my diabetes still isn't under control or due to change in pills? I'm fed up of feeling so washed out and low and the niggling pains are worrying me. I do have endometriosis as well which often gives me right side pains but they seem to have worsened. I don't know whether to put up and shut up til my next check in 3 months (assuming the specimin in a month is ok) or to see someone now?

Do you have any advice for me?

Sharlie

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Sharlie
It could be any number of things, but whilst you are still new to all this, I'd ring your doctor. It may be that you can be helped over the phone. Or he/she mightt prefer to see you face to face. When you know what your body is doing, you may be able to deal with "blips" yourself, but now I think you need help
Hana

Sharlieboo

Thanks Hana,

After another day of diarroeah and pain in my tummy and back, I phoned the surgery this morning and spoke to a doctor. My gp is away so I spoke to a newbie who seemed keen to pass the buck - so I'm seeing yet a different doctor tomorrow morning. She told me not to stop taking the new pills but to come in sooner if the pain gets worse.

I'm quite fed up now. I just want things to stabilise so I can get on with things. Exercise is the last thing on mind at the moment and I know that's a bad thing.

Sharlie

Sharlieboo

Re: Should I be speaking to my doctor? Still worried

I saw my doctor on Wednesday and he put it down to 'gastrointeritis' although it didn't feel at all like gastrointeritis I've suffered previously!

Anyway, he examined my tummy and didn't do any other tests. He said that it should settle within 2 - 3 weeks and go back and see him at that time if not. He said to continue taking the meds and go back if pain gets worse.

Well in fairness, upset tummy did stop on Thursday and pain in right side of my back went too. The pain is still there in my lower left abdomen but I am thinking it could be endometriosis pain rearing its ugly head for me.

However, all of today I've been feeling niggly stabby pain in my back, this time on the left side and sort of middle-ish - under where my bra strap sits if that makes sense, girls. It's not severe, I haven't needed to take painkillers but it's niggling away and worrying me. I don't have any other symptoms and am wondering if I'm just now noticing every ache and pain and all paranoid because of the diabetes diagnosis.

Please could someone reassure me?

Sharlie

PS. I have asked if I can have a bg monitor and test strips on prescription and am waiting to hear back from nurse practioner - if she says no I intend buying one this week.

Katharine

Metformin often gives a lot of gastrointestinal discomfort and diarrhea. It is easy for doctors to say keep taking the tablets, but would they manage a day at the surgery if they had the problems?

Sometimes the long acting version of metformin isn't as hard on the guts. You could try stopping the metformin for 3 days and see what happens. If you make a fabulous recovery you know what the problem is. If you don't, you have something else wrong with you.

Sharlieboo

Thanks Katharine,

I spoke to my diabetic nurse about it because she phoned to say I wouldn't be prescribed a monitor etc. She didn't think the pains were anything to worry about but as always 'go back if they get worse' :roll: The upset tummy side of things has settled though which is good. She said not to stop taking the pills.

She was against the monitor whilst we try to level out my medication and said she didn't think it was necessary and often they can be misread etc blah de blah blah. I mentioned I was thinking of buying one but she reiterated that my diet was considered good and not necessary. Don't know what to think now :?

Sharlie

Katharine

Ask her what your hbaic is. Then you will know if you need to reduce your post meal blood sugars or not. A good level is under 6.5 and acceptable is probably under 7.5.