Strange behaviour today

anespo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello everybody,
I am quite new with Diabetes 2 and just exploring the new world. Today I have a strange behaviour the BG was 12.9 after breakfast where I had a glass of soya milk and 3 spoons of cereals as usual (Is a very tiring breakfast :) ) After lunch was 9.6 and I had cod fish cooked in the oven and a jacket potato (without butter and anything). I got 3000mg metformine per day 60mg glicazide per day and simvastatin in the night.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
Tony

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What were your readings before you ate?
What would you like suggestions for? Diet, medication or something else?

Reactions: 4 people

anespo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What were your readings before you ate?
What would you like suggestions for? Diet, medication or something else?

Thank you bulkbiker,
yeah I mean a suggestion about the diet because probably is not correct and I waiting to have my DESMOND session.
Before lunch was 13.

Thanks

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Every type 2 diabetic seems to find that different foods affect them differently.

I can tolerate potatoes (in small portions), but I cannot tolerate cereals. Maybe you are the same? Test again, several times to be sure.

All I can suggest is that you test every food and keep notes on how your body reacts to those foods. You will very quickly build up an idea of what foods work for you, and what size portions work.

Reactions: 5 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well a lot of us here follow a Low Carb High(er) Fat diet to control our blood sugars and to be honest your levels look they could use some control.
I try to eat as few carbs as possible so in your menu would ditch the cereal and the jacket potato.
I don't eat breakfast ever, just have tea with unsweetened soya milk or (rarely) coffee with double cream.
There are loads of suggestions on this site and also on
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
I will also tag @daisy1 ho will be able to post the intro piece to how carbs effect your blood sugar and why cutting a lot of them out i beneficial.

Reactions: 5 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@anespo - Hello Tony and Welcome to the Forum :). Metformin takes time to build up in your system to have the desired effect. Always take it with or just after food. Never take it on an empty stomach as it may cause you stomach upset. If you go to the top of the page and click on Forums, scroll down until you come to FOOD and NUTRITION there you will see all kinds of food diets, take a look and you may find some ideas on what to eat.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@anespo

Hello Tony and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. In particular there is a lot of advice on carbs and a link to the Low Carb Program. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody,
I am quite new with Diabetes 2 and just exploring the new world. Today I have a strange behaviour the BG was 12.9 after breakfast where I had a glass of soya milk and 3 spoons of cereals as usual (Is a very tiring breakfast :) ) After lunch was 9.6 and I had cod fish cooked in the oven and a jacket potato (without butter and anything). I got 3000mg metformine per day 60mg glicazide per day and simvastatin in the night.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
Tony
How soon after your meals are you testing? Normally we tend to test 2 hours after the meal to catch the main bump. Not sure why bfast post prandial showed so high, but your lunch seemed ok - perhaps a sweet potato insted of normal pot (which is what /i do) and using some butter to slow the digestion.
Many here find cereals to be a problem, so use your meter both before and after each meal to find out which meal items are spiking you (its called eating to meter)

Reactions: 2 people

Romeran

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have 18 years' experience of T2 and have no complications. It does seem important to me to eat breakfast after a night without food. Try an egg (protein and filling) with a modest piece of toast, bacon or some other form of protein. Your lunch of cod sounds fine but I eat half a baked potato with that and have always eaten butter! Another breakfast which satisfies without BG going sky high is porridge, no added sugar obviously, but a few raisins and chopped nuts make it more interesting, so experiment a bit and you will find what suits you over time.
Incorporate exercise into your week too. This does wonders.

Reactions: 2 people

drakman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
racism, bigotry and fashion
If you want a more interesting guide then download the recipe books on here, they are pretty good, another good way to train yourself that is not bad to stay with is the Slimming World plan, find an offer for membership than join them for a few weeks, I found it helpful, and it is not hard to do as a lot of stuff does not need weighing just watch the extras that push up your sugars, it is a healthy way to eat really
I am not connected to them, I just found it helped a lot

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With medication like Glicazide, you will need to have some amount of carbs to avoid going into a hypo...so you need to find the right level of carbs to match your medication...

Generally it is much easier to go low carb when not on any medication...