Good advice?

Sampat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What is the best piece of practical advice you have been given and followed to improve your health following a prediabetes diagnosis?

Reactions: 2 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stop eating non essential Carbohydrates such as Bread, Pasta, Potatoes and Rice.

Reactions: 3 people

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too, same as britishpub and EileenB1960 - found via this site and the good folks on here who give their time and advice so freely - stop the obvious high carb stuff, try out the low carb higher fat approach to eating, or any variations thereof, and increase exercise as much as possible. Has worked so far :)

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LCHF, not just "healthy" eating, was key for me.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Get a meter and learn how to use it. Look up eat to your meter and learn that technique.

PosyPip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As above - but I'd add the importance of losing weight, in order to remove any visceral fat (unless you are underweight)

amalia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Sampat, I was also surprised when I was told I was pre-diabetic, HbA1c 43. I started reading all about the condition here in the forums and realised that what you eat and the amount of exercise is crucial to reversing the situation. So decided to stop eating all bread, potatoes, pasta, rice and also no sweets at all. The first two weeks were the more difficult ones but after that it was ok. Three months later I went to the GP's surgery for another blood test and it was normal, 40. I have also increased the walking and cycling a bit. Nothing too strenuous, but I try everyday to move more than before. Occasionally I will have a glass of wine or a little beer, but that may be once a week if at all. I have never drank much anyway so that was not an issue. The most difficult thing was to completely give up chocolate, but in the end it was worth it. Now I do not miss it at all. There are so many foods out there that are delicious anyway! So Sampat, best wishes with your reversing your pre-diabetes!

Sampat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sampat, I was also surprised when I was told I was pre-diabetic, HbA1c 43. I started reading all about the condition here in the forums and realised that what you eat and the amount of exercise is crucial to reversing the situation. So decided to stop eating all bread, potatoes, pasta, rice and also no sweets at all. The first two weeks were the more difficult ones but after that it was ok. Three months later I went to the GP's surgery for another blood test and it was normal, 40. I have also increased the walking and cycling a bit. Nothing too strenuous, but I try everyday to move more than before. Occasionally I will have a glass of wine or a little beer, but that may be once a week if at all. I have never drank much anyway so that was not an issue. The most difficult thing was to completely give up chocolate, but in the end it was worth it. Now I do not miss it at all. There are so many foods out there that are delicious anyway! So Sampat, best wishes with your reversing your pre-diabetes!

I did almost exactly what you did 3 years ago and it worked too. I still keep to this healthier regime. I used to be a chocoholic and now only have a couple of pieces of 70% or 80% chocolate per day. Very tasty. And now the other stuff tastes way too sweet. I only have wine - red or rose - at weekends or out at restaurants. The rest of the time water does the trick.

I introduced this thread on the forum to inspire others to take positive actions. Your post hits the spot for that. Stay well kindred spirit.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
stop eating low fat foods ... they are full of sugar to give them flavour