Freestyle Libre GM?

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
T1 for nearly 58 years (back in the days when urine testing was the only way of monitoring) I am interested in hearing the experiences of those who have used this monitor. I test (capillary) up to eight times a day and buy extra sticks to top up the number (100 per month) prescribed by my GP. I am prepared for a cost, but would like to know how much the consumables are and if they might be available from the GP on prescription? Also, what is it like to live with and how accurate it is, please.

Is this monitor the only one or should I consider others?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Libre is excellent. There are also true CGMs on the market (no need to scan the sensor: Dexcom to name one) however they're more expensive and require daily calibration from a standard finger prick style glucose monitor.

If you type Libre in the search box facility you will find countless threads on the topic:)

Grant

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Libre is excellent. There are also true CGMs on the market (no need to scan the sensor: Dexcom to name one) however they're more expensive and require daily calibration from a standard finger prick style glucose monitor.

If you type Libre in the search box facility you will find countless threads on the topic:)

Grant

Many thanks, Grant - will do!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@TJR56 You shouldn't have to be buying extra test strips. Have you asked your dictor to provide more. 100 per month doesn't seem very many at all.

Reactions: 2 people

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@TJR56 You shouldn't have to be buying extra test strips. Have you asked your dictor to provide more. 100 per month doesn't seem very many at all.
I got that wrong - it's 200, but I get through them and some more, too! (My finger-tips are scarred...)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I got that wrong - it's 200, but I get through them and some more, too!

Ah ok : D

It's still worth asking for a few more though. I get around 300 per month. I had to push to get them but couldn't manage without that many.

As for the GM, I can't afford any at the moment, but if I could I'd be looking at Dexcom. Worth a read around of others' opinions in that too.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nevertheless @TJR56 you need to be provided the test strips you need, whatever number that is. Please tell your doctor that you require more than you're getting. You shouldn't have to pay for strips, being type 1.

I use a Libre and find it amazing. It's expensive to keep buying the sensors but I'm afraid I'm addicted to it. Before I had it I was testing 12-14 times a day. Now I only do actual blood tests when I eat, when I drive, when I exercise and if I'm ill. That's generally 4-5 times a day on a normal day.

The rest of the time I just merrily bip the sensor and get on with my day.

:)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi @TJR56 , I use the Dexcom, and have found it absolutely life changing. I cannot recommend it enough, but I would personally recommend you read a book like "Sugar Surfing" first, as this manages your expectations. I think Libre and dexcom users often fall into one of 2 categories - those that expect an end to finger prick testing, with clinically accurate testing and those that accept they will still have to finger prick test (but less often) but will be able to put the figures they have 24/7 into context - the former often feel they have wasted their money .... so I feel it is important you understand what you are investing in first!
When I look at my dexcom, sometimes it might be 10 or 20 % out, but for me, I don't mind, as what I care about is where has it been over the last 20-30 minutes, and therefore where is it going .... that, to me, is the true value! Hope that helps, Paul

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @TJR56 , I use the Dexcom, and have found it absolutely life changing. I cannot recommend it enough, but I would personally recommend you read a book like "Sugar Surfing" first, as this manages your expectations. I think Libre and dexcom users often fall into one of 2 categories - those that expect an end to finger prick testing, with clinically accurate testing and those that accept they will still have to finger prick test (but less often) but will be able to put the figures they have 24/7 into context - the former often feel they have wasted their money .... so I feel it is important you understand what you are investing in first!
When I look at my dexcom, sometimes it might be 10 or 20 % out, but for me, I don't mind, as what I care about is where has it been over the last 20-30 minutes, and therefore where is it going .... that, to me, is the true value! Hope that helps, Paul

Thanks so much! I'm OK with finger-pricking, just joking about the scarring - and what I want is trends over time so I can understand my management better and avoid highs and lows more. At the moment I am running a bit high (4 to 13, tending towards a predominance of 7/8/9, which I feel is too high but my Diabetes Clinic think is fine. I have stopped multiple corrections and the high/low seesaw, but seeing a graph or a trend will enable me to see patterns and decide whether to pre-bolus, alter timing of basal etc. with more confidence. (You'd think I'd have it sussed by now, but I know it could be better.) I shall look for that book, so thanks for the recommendation, Paul.

Last edited by a moderator:

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
what I want is trends over time so I can understand my management better and avoid highs and lows more.
Well CGM / Fasting GM is what you want .... the information you can get is amazing, especially seeing the average, 25/75 percentile 10/90 percentile, min and max, on one graph over any time period, across a 24 hr period is amazing, to understand what you need to target .... for example:
upload_2016-8-12_15-32-37.png

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well CGM / Fasting GM is what you want .... the information you can get is amazing, especially seeing the average, 25/75 percentile 10/90 percentile, min and max, on one graph over any time period, across a 24 hr period is amazing, to understand what you need to target .... for example:
View attachment 20144
So how do I look into CGM kit, please?

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Libre Glucose Monitor and Dexcom CGM are the 2 main options, and have their own benefits. Dexcom costs more to buy initially, but over 2 years, once you factor in being able to restart sensors it works out cheaper. You can start on Libre for approx. £150 all in for a 4 week supply, but personally, I think Dexcom is infinitely better. Like everything in life, you will find people that will argue for Libre. As I am on the Animas pump, I purchase my Dexcom supplies at a discount from them, so it works out even cheaper, but there is a cost comparison here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cgm-gm-price-comparison.75106/ that I am pretty sure is up to date. Personally, I'd read the book and the post mentioned above, to give you an idea of what you want, and I think either way, both will offer what you want, but feel free to ask specific questions here

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Libre Glucose Monitor and Dexcom CGM are the 2 main options, and have their own benefits. Dexcom costs more to buy initially, but over 2 years, once you factor in being able to restart sensors it works out cheaper. You can start on Libre for approx. £150 all in for a 4 week supply, but personally, I think Dexcom is infinitely better. Like everything in life, you will find people that will argue for Libre. As I am on the Animas pump, I purchase my Dexcom supplies at a discount from them, so it works out even cheaper, but there is a cost comparison here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cgm-gm-price-comparison.75106/ that I am pretty sure is up to date. Personally, I'd read the book and the post mentioned above, to give you an idea of what you want, and I think either way, both will offer what you want, but feel free to ask specific questions here

Thank you again. I keep on learning. Blood glucose 5.6 just now, so that's whereabouts I like to stay!

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
>
Thank you again. I keep on learning. Blood glucose 5.6 just now, so that's whereabouts I like to stay!

Is yours the CGM? And what pump works with it? (I have neither, presently.)

Last edited by a moderator:

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
This is my data loaded onto diasend com which is how i share the data with my dsn. Basically i can send her an email and ask for advice and she can view my data there and then. I use the animas vibe, and dexcom g4, as animas sell subsidised dexcom supplies. However the software that comes with the dexcom is, in my opinion even better.