Regular moderate exercise log

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been caught in a fierce duel for the most ... steps per week :D

I tried this "challenge" bit on the garmin connect app that gives you a challenge of a certain amount of steps to achieve on a weekly basis. The challenge isn't that hard as this week it's only 70k steps but there's a catch, the catch being that there is a leader board. Last week i was first in the leader board with +100k steps but now i'm in a more advanced group i guess and there's this guy doing an insane amount of steps even before noon. The competitive type that i am i wanna be first so i'm doing a bit more than usual and after day 2 i'm closing in on 35k steps and that's just about 200 more than second place. It is rather motivating actually to go out and get some more steps.

Mind keeps going *just one more step, just one more step*

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Grumpy Snapsy slept badly (woke up at 4am and lay there crossly until my get-up-for-swimming alarm went off at 5.45am).

Had a fabulous swim - 40 lengths very comfortably - then accomplished a squillon domestic goddess tasks until setting off for work at 8.59am.

Got to work at 9.01 feeling on top of the world.

Now I'm freezing cold, feeling a little sick, shaky, sighy-fuggy and I seriously want my sofa! Also my skin is feeling incredibly sensitive all over. Am 7.3 and on a very straight line this morning, so it's not a glucose thing.

Sorry to moan - I did just want to say hi and to log my exercise!

I think it's just because I was tired yesterday, slept badly and then thought it would be a good idea to do far too much before sunrise. How very unlike me...... ;)

Lesson learned. Could someone hit the 'hug' button for me? Thanks! That should ungrump me nicely.

:)

Edited to say I have now had a pint and a half of sugar-free squash with some Cornish sea salt in it. Feeling SO MUCH BETTER. Am such an idiot - dehydration was so obvious......!

Last edited by a moderator:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad you are feeling better, @Snapsy and much sympathy. I am prone to feeling horrible when dehydrated, and always have been, so I do tend to drink loads when feeling meh.

I am definitely being more moderate in my steps and walking distance for the rest of this week. A muscle in my right thigh is having a belated protest at the work I made it do on Monday and keeps twinging! Anyway, the garden needs a little attention this afternoon so that can count as today's physical activity.

Reactions: 2 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ooooh, gardening's jolly good exercise! Take care of the thigh, though - sounds owwy...

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey there @Snapsy. Sure I mentioned the hydration thing to you a while back.
Glad you're feeling better now.
You young uns never listen to what us old uns tell you.
Remember if your thirsty you've probably left it late. Especially when exercise is involved.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::p:p

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Young 'un? I'm 41! But you're right - I've been trying to be better hydrated but still obviously getting it wrong sometimes...

As it happens the shakes came back yesterday evening and became scary unstoppable shudders, and I couldn't get warm. Rang 111 and ended up at the out of hours place at the hospital late last night. 111 were amazing, and the paramedic practitioner at the hospital was brilliant.

Double plus plus red blood cells in urine sample - diagnosis of 'raging kidney infection'. And I thought the dull backache that came on yesterday was either postural or exercise related! No symptoms that I'd expect from an infection in the waterworks area - big surprise!

Got my race number and instructions for my first ever 5k race last week - it's in a couple of weeks' time - hmmmmmmmm, I should be in training!

But no running club tonight, no parkrun Saturday - today is bed, pints and pints of water, paracetamol and antibiotics (for a week). Really annoyed as I've just had a load of time off work from the sinusitis the other week. Glad I'm my own boss!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Snapsy. Sorry to hear you're not feeling to well, sounds quite nasty.
Looks like rest and taking it easy for a while, which I'm sure isn't going to go down to well with you.
41 makes you a young un in my books, at 52 I wish I could go back to my early 40s.
Seriously though I've read a lot of your threads and you seem a person who likes to exercise and maybe push yourself to do that little bit extra.
Around about your age I was of the notion that if I went to the gym and didn't better my last rowing time or whatever then I was on a downward spiral. This led to me being a complete wreck after a few months.
I realise now with all my years of experience that less really can equal more ultimately. Get back and keep training but maybe just review how hard you're pushing yourself.
Look around at other people your age and younger and you maybe surprised how fit you are.
Get well soon.:):):)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi guys, I have a question. As some of you here know I go to the gym regularly and walk a fair bit but after "encouragement" from colleagues have started Couch 2 5k, I know lots of you have done it. Can I have some hypo tips please? First session last night started at 6.8 ended at 3.4. But admit I had not halved my bolus which I usually do for the gym as I am not totally sure which evenings I will run due to family...

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Snapsy. Sorry to hear you're not feeling to well, sounds quite nasty.
Looks like rest and taking it easy for a while, which I'm sure isn't going to go down to well with you.
Get back and keep training but maybe just review how hard you're pushing yourself.
Look around at other people your age and younger and you maybe surprised how fit you are.
Get well soon.:):):)
Thanks @therower - I'm an all or nothing kind of girl so if I'm doing something I want to do I will just go mad for it. I have been pushing myself very hard, which as a relative beginner to exercise (started only April 2015), and having only started running in spring 2016, this is I think proving to be too much. But I look at other runners who train train train without illness or injury, and I want to be one of them...

I learned something interesting last Saturday, and this absolutely backs up what you're saying. I'd had two weeks off both swimming and running due to illness, and then I ran at club on Thursday, and then did parkrun on Saturday, which was my best yet! That's after NOT MUCH EXERCISE in the run-up. Moral of the story: don't push too hard and have plenty of rest!

Last edited by a moderator:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Diakat it's great that you're doing the couch to 5k! I embarked on this tentatively in February but it quickly became clear (after two and a half weeks) that I was wearing very, very wrong shoes and was running on very difficult pot-holey terrain! Result: temporary foot wreckage x 2!

If I were doing it again I would a) kit myself out properly, b) find a nice surface to run on and c) not overpush myself! Oh well....

I was going out very early in the morning, very soon after a small bowl of porridge (20g CHO). I would have half my normal breakfast bolus. The first couple of times I went out I also set my basal to 50%, but found I was coming back with sugars in the teens!

So then I started not changing my basal, just having half bolus, and that kept me steady and hypo-free.

When I started doing parkrun I had half my breakfast bolus (7am) and half my basal from an hour before the run (run starts at 9am), but found I was 17mmol/l at the start! Worked out that that was because my breakfast spike was too early to rely on the run to lower it!

So now when I'm running at 9am I have my normal breakfast bolus (7am) and then halve my basal three quarters of an hour before the race. Last time I did it I was 6-ish pre-porridge, 8-ish before the run and 5-ish afterwards.

It's all trial and error though - and having the confidence to experiment. I worked out that too many changes (basal AND bolus) made me high. And if I'd then also been having pre-session carbs - woooooooooooooo...........

Enjoy the couch to 5k - it's what got me wanting to run, even though I didn't complete the programme. Go for it!

:):):)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Diakat it's great that you're doing the couch to 5k! I embarked on this tentatively in February but it quickly became clear (after two and a half weeks) that I was wearing very, very wrong shoes and was running on very difficult pot-holey terrain! Result: temporary foot wreckage x 2!

If I were doing it again I would a) kit myself out properly, b) find a nice surface to run on and c) not overpush myself! Oh well....

I was going out very early in the morning, very soon after a small bowl of porridge (20g CHO). I would have half my normal breakfast bolus. The first couple of times I went out I also set my basal to 50%, but found I was coming back with sugars in the teens!

So then I started not changing my basal, just having half bolus, and that kept me steady and hypo-free.

When I started doing parkrun I had half my breakfast bolus (7am) and half my basal from an hour before the run (run starts at 9am), but found I was 17mmol/l at the start! Worked out that that was because my breakfast spike was too early to rely on the run to lower it!

So now when I'm running at 9am I have my normal breakfast bolus (7am) and then halve my basal three quarters of an hour before the race. Last time I did it I was 6-ish pre-porridge, 8-ish before the run and 5-ish afterwards.

It's all trial and error though - and having the confidence to experiment. I worked out that too many changes (basal AND bolus) made me high. And if I'd then also been having pre-session carbs - woooooooooooooo...........

Enjoy the couch to 5k - it's what got me wanting to run, even though I didn't complete the programme. Go for it!

:):):)
Thanks! I hope I enjoy it as much as you did. There is no way I can run in the morning due to childcare/school/work so it has to be evenings or lunchtime. I might try lunchtime next week as I would have longer to fix things if I go high due to a carby snack.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have been taking part in a virtual Olympics organised by another on line group, not diabetes related. It has been fun, walking, skipping, dancing etc. to the best of our ability. Encouraging to those of us who find regular exercise unappealing, I am rediscovering a waist that I had almost forgotten.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope the infection is clearings, @Snapsy !

As I've got bonus wi-fi, I'm checking in to report I'm having a lovely time wandering new, but hillier, territory in a bit of Scotland not known to me before now. It's probably good timing from a walking point of view as I'm managing it brilliantly well after all the longer distance but much flatter walking I get at home, but feel I've done plenty after 8 miles. Certainly got different muscles aching but not feet!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds great, @Japes - and it's fab to mix up the terrain!

You're so sweet to ask - since yesterday lunchtime I've felt brighter, and I am BORED, which is a good sign.

Kidney pain still intense, rubbish second experience with out of hours service on Sunday (punch in the back, anyone?!), new antibiotics I feel are at least slightly less useless than the last lot, which is a bonus.

Hoping bug will have grown big enough in its Petri dish by now for them to be able to read the nametape on its jumper. Speaking to the doc this afternoon.

In the meantime, my only two moderate exercise tasks for the day are a) to shower and b) to change the bed. Filling the rest of my time with armchair exercise (by which I only mean watching the Olympics!).

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Diakat I don't know if you've started it yet as you did say lunchtime this week so please don't view this post as pressure, but I'm just wanting to say I hope you're enjoying your couch to 5k!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Diakat I don't know if you've started it yet as you did say lunchtime this week so please don't view this post as pressure, but I'm just wanting to say I hope you're enjoying your couch to 5k!

Hi there @Snapsy. Week one completed, hypos after days one and two. Managed to finish on 5.1 from 8.something with a lunchtime day three. That was with half my usual bolus so this may be the way forward. Starting week two on Weds, was suposed to be today but meetings in the way of lunch and husband is out this evening so I'm on childcare duty. Thanks for checking how it's going.