Do I replace omnipod?

carak1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. I've got in the bath and the sticky bit of my omnipod has started to peel off. Now I only replaced it yesterday with 200 units and I feel I'm wasting alot of money replacing it now. Can I get away with just taping it up as long as its not leaking or do I need to replace it and ring the place I get them from as it was obviously a faulty sticky pad as it shouldn't come off in Bath surely? I hate wasting money lol

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
testing over the next couple of hours will give you the answer
take your last test as your baseline and if you have increased above a comfortable range for you ( we all are different in what is comfortable to us )
I would change

alternatively -- wait a bit longer -- set an alarm for 1AM or so -- test and change if above 14~15

the money side of things is irrelevant in my opinion
( if you do nothing but tape it up and are in DKA by tomorrow morning the NHS will spend a couple of thousand on you with ambulance , and time and treatment in A&E

Reactions: 6 people

carak1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
testing over the next couple of hours will give you the answer
take your last test as your baseline and if you have increased above a comfortable range for you ( we all are different in what is comfortable to us )
I would change

alternatively -- wait a bit longer -- set an alarm for 1AM or so -- test and change if above 14~15

the money side of things is irrelevant in my opinion
( if you do nothing but tape it up and are in DKA by tomorrow morning the NHS will spend a couple of thousand on you with ambulance , and time and treatment in A&E

Yeah, well I'm at work tomorrow morning so at least they will know I'm ill when I turn up on my ward as a patient ha ha

I've taped it up for now. It was 12.6 so took a correction dose and will check it later. If it's gone up I'll change it.

I know my questions seem silly ha ha

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
your question is so far from silly -- blimey young lady -- it is our very lives and existence on this planet,
given that we only have fast acting insulin keeping us alive ( unlike when we were on MDI )

based on yearly running cost for omnipod -- changing 1 individual pod early amounts to around £26 in additional cost
i would value your life a hell of a lot more than that !!!!!!!!!!!!!

carak1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
your question is so far from silly -- blimey young lady -- it is our very lives and existence on this planet,
given that we only have fast acting insulin keeping us alive ( unlike when we were on MDI )

based on yearly running cost for omnipod -- changing 1 individual pod early amounts to around £26 in additional cost
i would value your life a hell of a lot more than that !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I do don't worry. I've already changed one early due to trauma lol. I'm off to sleep bit setting my alarm for 11pm to read check. Thankyou. You have been a star last couple days replying to my messages

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
haha -- we D's are a team !!!! all for one ...........................

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can I get away with just taping it up as long as its not leaking or do I need to replace it and ring the place I get them from as it was obviously a faulty sticky pad as it shouldn't come off in Bath surely?

Is it just the outer edge? If so you could use tape to secure it but if the Pod is coming away at the cannula end then I'd just replace it, as @himtoo says monitor your bg and see how you get on, but if in doubt just change it anyway.

They are cheaper than that, it depends on the buying power of the PCT but I believe it's nearer £20.

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure you sorted this issue now, just wanted to say that I was in the supermarket yesterday at the checkout, pump on front of thigh, I was rushing to pack my bags so fast I caught the pump on the corner of the checkout. Really hurt, I was sure I'd ripped it off. Waited till I got home and it was half hanging off. Checked cannula was still in which it was so I just stuck a bit of tape over it lols. Seemed to work ok till it expired the next day! Got a big bruise today on the side that ripped off!

carak1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I taped it through the night but when I woke my bms were sky high so had to change it in the morning. I dunno why it's falling off in the bath. My bms have been much better today. Mainly below 8. Had 2 hypos though so did a 10% decrease on my basal for the rest of my shift.