Pitta Bread?

Birdlady1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I normally eat a couple of multigrain rivita with low fat spread, and some berries and a yogert at lunchtime.......would pitta bread be better ?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Are you trying to low carb? If you are then I would think pita bread would be quite high but you would need to look at the nutritional label. I personally would not eat low fat spread as it is an artificially manufactured sugar and chemical soup and very bad for you. Butter is natural and much tastier but that is just my opinion.

Birdlady1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Yes trying to low carb. I never eat a lot at lunchtime , but just a yogert and fruit isn't quite enough.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Have you looked at Daisy1's welcoming info? It is very difficult to try to eat low carb and low fat at the same time, almost impossible. Just about the hardest thing about going low carb is getting over the mind set that fat is bad. You should be having full fat yogurt with as few carbs as possible and berries for the fruit as most other fruits are very high. The fat from the yogurt will help keep you satisfied and fuller longer. If it is still not enough then maybe some avocado if you like it or a hard boiled egg or a piece of cheese would be good. The level of carbs in a low carb diet is highly individual and you need to use your meter to figure out what your body will tolerate and what works for you. Your diet has to be something you can live with and enjoy. That method is in daisy1's info as well, it is called eating to your meter. There are several large threads on the forum called things like "what did you have for breakfast" and the like that are full of ideas on low carb meals.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
as @chalup says, use your meter. That will tell you if what you are eating is OK for you. "Eat to your meter" is wise advice.

If your yogurt is a low fat one, and your spread is also low fat, you are likely to be hungry well before your next meal, and possibly eating more carbs that way. You could try berries with cream (double) as a change from yogurt, and ditch the crackers and pitta bread in favour of a salad of some sort.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
as @chalup says, use your meter. That will tell you if what you are eating is OK for you. "Eat to your meter" is wise advice.

If your yogurt is a low fat one, and your spread is also low fat, you are likely to be hungry well before your next meal, and possibly eating more carbs that way. You could try berries with cream (double) as a change from yogurt, and ditch the crackers and pitta bread in favour of a salad of some sort.
full fat low carb salad dressing :p:D

Reactions: 2 people

Birdlady1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
What I am trying to do is loose some weight and keep my blood sugars from rising.......Lunchtimes are a problem as I am never really hungry then. I could manage on a full fat yogert and berries, but I know that's not really enough. We have our main meal quite early at around five o'clock.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you have for breakfast?

If you are never really hungry at lunch time, I don't understand why FF yogurt and berries isn't enough, especially as you eat an early main meal.

Birdlady1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Breakfast is couple of cups of tea, little bit of sugar and a weterbix with semi skimmed milk.....
Like I said I usually have a couple of rivita at lunch as well, just wondered if there was anything better....

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Birdlady1 Why not have a look around the low carb section of the forum and see what others are eating? There are so many ideas. I find myself spoiled for choice these days. Good luck :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast is couple of cups of tea, little bit of sugar and a weterbix with semi skimmed milk.....
Like I said I usually have a couple of rivita at lunch as well, just wondered if there was anything better....

Goodness me, if I had your breakfast my sugar levels would be sky high. Breakfast cereals are extremely high in carbs along with the other main culprits - bread, rice, pasta, potatoes and other root veggies, and flour. Have a look on the box of Weetabix and look for the total carb amount. You will have a shock. If you have insulin resistance you will find that the fewer carbs in the morning, the better your levels will be. Insulin resistance tends to reduce as the day progresses.

A better breakfast would be eggs cooked any which way - boiled, fried, poached, omelettes or whatever, perhaps with bacon, tomatoes and mushrooms. I can't face making a fry up for breakfast so I sometimes have this at lunch times instead. I used to have a FF yogurt with a couple of strawberries but found even this was too many carbs for me in the morning and kept my levels up until just before lunch. Now I have a large soft boiled egg on its own and a couple of cups of tea. That sees me through till lunch time very easily. The fat and protein in the egg satiates me. Another choice might be cold meats (ham without the bread!) and cheese and/or a bit of salad.

Do try to stop putting sugar in your tea. This isn't helping you at all. Try without or with a saccharine sweetener of some sort. It will taste awful at first, but keep at it and before long you will hate the taste of sugar!

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most supermarket bought Pitta Breads (along with things like Wraps and similar "healthy" bread alternatives) are made with extremely refined flour, and will often have a far worse impact on your BG than even ordinary breads.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What I am trying to do is loose some weight and keep my blood sugars from rising.......Lunchtimes are a problem as I am never really hungry then. I could manage on a full fat yogert and berries, but I know that's not really enough. We have our main meal quite early at around five o'clock.
Why do you think that's not enough? if you aren't hungry then don't eat anything. Or just have the yoghurt without the fruit which will be lower carb for sure. I try to avoid carbs wherever possible and skip breakfast every day. Just have tea. Coffee with double cream at 11. Then lunch when I'm not fasting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
You need to test yourself to find the impact of 2 ryvita v 1 pitta. if you try pitta go for a wholemeal one rather than a white one.
Alternatively the very useful nutritional advice should enable you to compare the carb impact of each options.
Crispbreads can be good to naturally limit carb intake as there is built in portion control.
I use hard boiled eggs, some nuts, olives, home-made slaw, cheese, (tinned) fish as ways of supplying nutrients without many carbs to my lunch.
Good luck
P

mikecu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought the idea for losing weight and to keep the heart healthy was not to eat fat, or at least to cut it down to the recommended amount per day.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I thought the idea for losing weight and to keep the heart healthy was not to eat fat, or at least to cut it down to the recommended amount per day.
Have you ever tried a no fat/low fat diet? I have and it worked to lose weight. I was STARVING all the time. It is by default a very high carb diet which is a no go for a diabetic that is trying to lose weight while controlling blood sugar. It also had 2 very serious consequences for me. I gained it all back as soon as I started eating anywhere near a normal healthy diet, and I destroyed my gallbladder and had to have it removed. I am still dealing with both of those consequences. You need fats to be healthy. You need them for your digestive system to work properly, and many essential vitamins cannot be absorbed without them. I would recommend you watch the series of videos by Tim Noakes that have been posted on here, they are fascinating and in plain English. Maybe someone could throw the link in here?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

How does not eating Fat help you lose weight ?

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
I make a big pot of soup at the weekend and freeze portions in those fab containers that you just put straight into the microwave to defrost and heat. Just take one to work every day. Filling, low carb and nutritious. BS levels fine afterwards. I can also have small slice spelt bread with the soup without pushing them up.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make a big pot of soup at the weekend and freeze portions in those fab containers that you just put straight into the microwave to defrost and heat. Just take one to work every day. Filling, low carb and nutritious. BS levels fine afterwards. I can also have small slice spelt bread with the soup without pushing them up.

@Birdlady1 - I apologise, as what I write next will be totally off-topic.

Paulins - How fab to see you back. I hope you're really well!