High Bloods In The Morning

Jenie

Hi All,

I have been reading through some of the posts on here and it's heart warming to see so much support for each other. Brief welcome to our story : my eldest son Thomas was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago with T1 after losing weight, increased thirst and going to the loo about 100 times a day! A quick visit to the GP ended up with 3 days in hospital and our diagnosis. It's been an emotional rollercoaster but Thomas has been amazing and keeping it together for us all!

Over the past couple of days we have, for the first time since diagnosis, had blood sugar readings between 5-7 but after a reading of 6.9 last night he has woken up with 14.9 - very confused how it goes up after not eating anything? Any info would be gratefully received!!

xx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum :)

Could it be possible that he missed one of his injections last night, possibly his basal insulin?

It could also be he missed calculated the carb content of the meal, there's a few possibilities tbh @Jenie

Jenie

He had his Lantus before bed and readings were nice and low - 6.9 and then up this morning with 14.9 - I didn't know whether this was usual or not! Still getting used to so many things!! xx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
He had his Lantus before bed and readings were nice and low - 6.9 and then up this morning with 14.9 - I didn't know whether this was usual or not! Still getting used to so many things!! xx

Keep an eye on his bg levels, if the same happens again over the next couple of nights then contact his DSN as they will advise you on adjusting his insulin.

There's a book that might be worth purchasing to help you get a grasp on type 1 diabetes, it's called Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults, the author is Ragnar Hanas and by all accounts it's a great read. Best wishes.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Have you been advised to check during the night at all? Probably at 3-4am ish?

Has son got a libre? Maybe something that would be worth discussing with DSN as it can give you a better idea of whats happening at nights..

Jenie

No not as of yet but will discuss with the DSN and see what she suggests thank you for all the help it is much appreciated xx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Jenie
Get busy researching wverything is my advice..
Nurses and docs tell you from text books, not from experiences....text books are ok to a point..

You do need to check at 3am/4amish and preferably before speaking to nurse... That way you are showing initiative and realisation of a thing called dawn phenomenen...
More later.. Xx thinking of you and son..

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Jenie how old is Thomas? I suffer from dawn phenomenon and have most of my insulin from midnight onwards but I'm pumping. My 2yr old who also is pumping tends to drop overnight. Is he having one dose of lantus or splitting it? What did he have for tea? Some things can spike bloods later (Chinese meal effect). He will probably also be honeymooning when more insulin is produced on some days naturally. Lots of things can affect them too such as illness, stress, growth spurts (my daughters teeth!), weather especially as it's been hot x