Blood Sugars Lower After Eating

Jono1568

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i can go a short period of not checking my blood. I've just done a few this week and I'm happy with my tests in the morning, which have been 4.8 5.6 and 5.7.
I've also noted that if I check my levels after eating then my results show a drop in some cases.
After breakfast which is always a bowl of porridge and a handful of blueberries, I've had the following results:
5.6 then 2 hours later 5.4

I'm now testing before and after every meal for the next few days to see if there is a trend.

Are these lowere blood figures typical or something to keep an eye on?

I take 2xmetformin (500mg) a day, and usually one with breakfast and one with my evening meal.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Jono1568 Remember glucose meters have a margin of error so even testing from the same finger two times in a row and within a few seconds won't give you exactly the same result.

I'd consider 5.6 and 5.4 to be basically the same level, allowing for this margin of error.

Jono1568

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks. I took two readings this morning. The first was 5.4 and then seconds later it was 5.0. That small margin of error I can understand, but normally I'd show results of 7.0 to 7.5 after breakfast.
I'll keep testing and see if it's just a blip or something

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks. I took two readings this morning. The first was 5.4 and then seconds later it was 5.0. That small margin of error I can understand, but normally I'd show results of 7.0 to 7.5 after breakfast.
I'll keep testing and see if it's just a blip or something

The margin of error can be around 15%, so that can mean quite a noticeable difference between results sometimes - say being 5.5 but your meter reading 4.8 or 6.2 (just as examples).

If your overall trend of post-meal readings is going down, then that's good : )

Reactions: 2 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Jono1568
Being down to pre-meal levels 2 hours after a meal is normal and what some of us are aiming for so well done.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll quite often see a definite lower level post meal - generally if I'm a bit higher than normal pre meal. But I'll also sometimes see a higher level post meal r4esult, or one close to my pre meal one, and my meter is fairly consistent in accurately reflecting my "status". Keep a check on what you eat and see if there's any pattern.

Fun isn't it!

Robbity