I feel so upset inside

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Some times I feel so upset inside I don't know what to do but I just get on with it I hate diabetes so much it is nearly a year for me now on the 26th of November

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Some times I feel so upset inside I don't know what to do but I just get on with it I hate diabetes so much it is nearly a year for me now on the 26th of November
If you feel like that then obviously you need help from a professional to help you to come to terms with your condition. Having diabetes shouldn't stop you from doing anything in life that you want some things do need a bit of forward planning but otherwise carry on as normal.

Think of something positive (nice) to do each day and then look forward to the next nice thing tomorrow. Please do talk to your hospital team or GP and ask for a referral to talk to someone who can help you put things into prospective.

Reactions: catapillar

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think it is perfectly normal to feel like that when dealing with a serious health issue. It really does help to let it out whether it is a friend or on here or a counselor. People on this forum for the most part really do understand and some days are better than others. I do not have type 1 but I do have serious and multiple autoimmune conditions on top of diabetes. Some days I just want to hide under the covers. Other days I look at my family and my life and feel joy. Enjoy the little things, they mean everything. Wishing you peace and happiness.

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
I think it is perfectly normal to feel like that when dealing with a serious health issue. It really does help to let it out whether it is a friend or on here or a counselor. People on this forum for the most part really do understand and some days are better than others. I do not have type 1 but I do have serious and multiple autoimmune conditions on top of diabetes. Some days I just want to hide under the covers. Other days I look at my family and my life and feel joy. Enjoy the little things, they mean everything. Wishing you peace and happiness.
Thank you so much

Reactions: chalup

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
If you feel like that then obviously you need help from a professional to help you to come to terms with your condition. Having diabetes shouldn't stop you from doing anything in life that you want some things do need a bit of forward planning but otherwise carry on as normal.

Think of something positive (nice) to do each day and then look forward to the next nice thing tomorrow. Please do talk to your hospital team or GP and ask for a referral to talk to someone who can help you put things into prospective.
Yes thank you I know but I'm still learning about it

Seeker2016

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, it's a life changing thing. Accepting it is very very difficult, I was diagnosed 4 months, and feel like its the end of the world. I hate taking insulin, and become obsessed with testing bg. I also have complication s(feetand eyes), that made me very depressed. You have to have hope things will get better, as in you will adapt to it. I suspect it takes a long time for each individual. I keep a daily gratitude journal. 10 things I am grateful for each day. Can be anything. Just being able to go the end of the road for a walk or seeing some flowers in a neighbours garden, or even managing to do a shop at the supermarket is an accomplishment as far as I am concerned. Just something that's meaningful to you. From reading all the posts on the forums, I think once you get used to it, whatever that means, life should go on. You may feel differently. It will certainly not be an overnight change. Wish you the best.

Reactions: Juicyj and azure

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Thank you

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Hi Julia,I've been T1 for nearly 55 year and I have always said 'the diabetes doesn't rule me I rule it',and that has got me through so far.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
+1 for what @yingtong said. I've had it for 27 years. I've lived a very active life so far, with sport, travelling and other parts of life all being busy and full.

Type 1 doesn't stop you from doing anything. Least of all living.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Julia I agree with what others have said it's important to find ways of being in The moment and bring positive. It's also important to allow yourself to feel upset when you do. I've been known to have a good screaming session on the car every now again, let's a bit of steam off. Best wishes thinking of you.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Julia McCoulough . My take on diabetes is the same as yingtong.
I know it's easy to say and maybe much harder to achieve but I really think how we visualise are T1 can make a huge difference to how we manage.
Since my diagnosis 26yrs ago I've embraced and took pride in my diabetes.
I didn't get diabetes it got me.
Without T1 I wouldn't have eaten healthy, I would have kept drinking myself silly every weekend, I definitely wouldn't have been teetotal for the past 5yrs, although I've always worked out i would never have found the inner conviction to push myself to the limits I do and without T1 I would not be as understanding and compassionate as I am now.
I have 2 grandkids, my granddaughter who is 5yrs old has a no fear attitude where I'm concerned.
Her current joy is to run at me and jump. That's her part. Once she becomes airborne I have to catch her and then lift her straight overhead. I can't begin to explain the joy I get from knowing she puts that much trust in her granddad ( she does this with no one else).
Here's my point, without a sensible diet, regular gut busting exercise and a steeley determination not to fail i would miss out on that euphoric moment when my granddaughter after being caught and elevated overhead puts her arms around my neck and says " I love you bumps".
It's only because of my side kick T1 that I'm able to have such wonderful moments.

Use your diabetes don't let it use you.

james122

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
HIGH blood sugars!
I get it so much I really do, I feel upset everyday with diabetes because I think about my future im high all the time despite putting 100% in. I've made a difficult decision to give up on diabetes and live the next 15 years of my life happy :)
I'm not saying you should do this because I want everyone to have a future a future I don't deserve I mean if I can't even get diabetes right what can I do I GIVE UP!
I feel your pain so much I'm crying while writing this. I send my love to you and ever other diabetic who has realised the reality of this disease!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I also have a granddaughter who is just turned 6 as well as a couple of wonderful kids who are in the process of becoming her brother and sister. They are 7 and 9. They really do put things into perspective and there is nothing better in this world than big squishy hugs from them.

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi Julia,I've been T1 for nearly 55 year and I have always said 'the diabetes doesn't rule me I rule it',and that has got me through so far.
But I've only just been diagnosed last year in November

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
I get it so much I really do, I feel upset everyday with diabetes because I think about my future im high all the time despite putting 100% in. I've made a difficult decision to give up on diabetes and live the next 15 years of my life happy :)
I'm not saying you should do this because I want everyone to have a future a future I don't deserve I mean if I can't even get diabetes right what can I do I GIVE UP!
I feel your pain so much I'm crying while writing this. I send my love to you and ever other diabetic who has realised the reality of this disease!
Oh bless you I hope you are ok how old are you

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi @Julia McCoulough . My take on diabetes is the same as yingtong.
I know it's easy to say and maybe much harder to achieve but I really think how we visualise are T1 can make a huge difference to how we manage.
Since my diagnosis 26yrs ago I've embraced and took pride in my diabetes.
I didn't get diabetes it got me.
Without T1 I wouldn't have eaten healthy, I would have kept drinking myself silly every weekend, I definitely wouldn't have been teetotal for the past 5yrs, although I've always worked out i would never have found the inner conviction to push myself to the limits I do and without T1 I would not be as understanding and compassionate as I am now.
I have 2 grandkids, my granddaughter who is 5yrs old has a no fear attitude where I'm concerned.
Her current joy is to run at me and jump. That's her part. Once she becomes airborne I have to catch her and then lift her straight overhead. I can't begin to explain the joy I get from knowing she puts that much trust in her granddad ( she does this with no one else).
Here's my point, without a sensible diet, regular gut busting exercise and a steeley determination not to fail i would miss out on that euphoric moment when my granddaughter after being caught and elevated overhead puts her arms around my neck and says " I love you bumps".
It's only because of my side kick T1 that I'm able to have such wonderful moments.

Use your diabetes don't let it use you.
Ok thank you for your help

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Hello, it's a life changing thing. Accepting it is very very difficult, I was diagnosed 4 months, and feel like its the end of the world. I hate taking insulin, and become obsessed with testing bg. I also have complication s(feetand eyes), that made me very depressed. You have to have hope things will get better, as in you will adapt to it. I suspect it takes a long time for each individual. I keep a daily gratitude journal. 10 things I am grateful for each day. Can be anything. Just being able to go the end of the road for a walk or seeing some flowers in a neighbours garden, or even managing to do a shop at the supermarket is an accomplishment as far as I am concerned. Just something that's meaningful to you. From reading all the posts on the forums, I think once you get used to it, whatever that means, life should go on. You may feel differently. It will certainly not be an overnight change. Wish you the best.
I hate having to do everything

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
But I've only just been diagnosed last year in November

Hi I was diagnosed 27 years ago, hundreds of miles away from home. My ex husband left earlier that year and took our two children for a weeks holiday ( with a female called T) :yuck: so rather than be on my own, I travelled on two coaches to the north of England from the south to visit a relative and I was ill at that time. Ended up in hospital and couldn't see my children for two weeks, they were so distressed and worried ( 7 and 12).
I just got on with it, went back to work and still here to tell the tale. Also, my greatest diabetes moment was having my 3rd child, 15 years ago at 42 1/2 years. At times, I have to give myself a virtual kick up the backside, but remember diabetes is just a small part of who you are, stand tall and have a happy and a healthy life, it just takes some people a little more time to come to terms with type 1, as it's a lot to take on board and deal with at first, but you can do, take care x

Last edited:
Reactions: Juicyj

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi I was diagnosed 27 years ago, hundreds of miles away from home. My ex husband left earlier that year and took our two children for a weeks holiday ( with a female called T) :yuck: so rather than be on my own, I travelled on two coaches to the north of England from the south to visit a relative and I was ill at that time. Ended up in hospital and couldn't see my children for two weeks, they were so distressed and worried ( 7 and 12).
I just got on with it, went back to work and still here to tell the tale. Also, my greatest diabetes moment was having my 3 child, 15 years ago at 42 1/2 years. At times, I have to give myself a virtual kick up the backside, but remember diabetes is just a small part of who you are, stand tall and have a happy and a healthy life, it just takes some people a little more time to come to terms with type 1, as it's a lot to take on board and deal with at first, but you can do, take care x
Thank you

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Julia McCoulough its perfectly natural to be having a grieving process for life pre-diabetes, work through that process. A really good way of doing that might be to learn all about living with diabetes, hopefully that knowledge will empower you to show that you can manage diabetes, make it fit in with your life and not let it stop you doing anything.

Five stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. Get yourself to acceptance with the knowledge to be all ready to deal with diabetes.

Have a look at the book "think like a pancreas" and the Bertie online course - http://www.bertieonline.org.uk