Pregnancy planning and Injections

eeb123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'm a Type 1 diabetic and am in the process of planning for pregnancy.

I use insulin pens as opposed to a pump and was wondering if there was anyone else who has been trying to gain tight control with the pens, as well as their experience of the whole process!

Thanks in advance

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @eeb123 :)

There are ladies here who were on injectikns during pregnancy so keep checking back for replies.

Are you being seen by a pre-conception clinic and taking the high dose folic acid? How's your HbA1C at the moment?

eeb123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply @azure
Yes been to pre-conception clinic and taking the high dose folic acid, so now just waiting for the go ahead on HbA1C, last one was at 7.5% so not too far away, however I feel like the fine tuning now is going to be the most difficult.

Everything I seem to read where people have had success seems to be pump related, so just wanted to see some injection related success and helpful hints

Reactions: azure

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm 25 weeks pregnant and on injections rather than a pump! When I saw my dsn to say I wanted to try my hba1c was 10.4 but after some harsh truths I got it down to 6.5 when they said I could start trying! 6 months later my hba1c is now 5.7 and everything so far is going according to plan!

I sometimes do feel like a pin cushion having to do so many injections and do get lumps on the odd occasion but as long as you change sites every time there shouldn't be any problems!

It's 100% possible and I've not found it to difficult so good luck :)

jade88

Hi eeb123 I was on injections throughout my pregnancy and had no issues other than the normal dealing with hypos and the odd high near the end! I kept a diary of my bloods and then had weekly phone calls with my diabetic midwife - if she saw a pattern of highs or lows she would then advise a dosage change!
Sounds like your doing everything right! From what others have said when going on a pump there is an adjustment period and sometimes people's hbac1 goes up before it goes down so could slow down the process of being given the go ahead to conceive just something to consider! Good luck! xxx

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi! I'm also in the planning process and on injections! I did a DAFNE course to show me how to count carbs and recently adapted a low carb diet to try combat the highs. My hba1c is around the same as yours, we aren't far off x

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
My first 2 pregnancies were on injections my last was on the pump. All were fine and i had good hba1cs throughout (5.6-6.2). However, the one with the pump was the easiest in terms of stress on me and numbers of disabling hypos (0). The only way I can achieve really good controlon injections is with low carbing. With a pump I didn't have to be as strict. Good luck. It's possible either way.

eeb123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all (@tigger @wannabemammy @jade88 @Ellie_Wilko ) for your responses.
It is honestly so refreshing to hear from others that have managed/ planning with a pen.
Yes I did dafne a few years ago and after a case of dka last year, seem to have had a wake up call and turned a corner.
Find it really frustrating that there is so much planning involved, and feel like I'm going to worry a lot when we do get the go ahead, due to the impact sugars can have on the baby.
I have got lumps as well, so just going to have to try and not use those sites in the hope they go down.
Has anyone done GI diet? X

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
To be honest @eeb123, and I know I'll probably get slated for this, I've not changed my diet what so ever!

I was the worst eater before I was diagnosed as type 1 just 2 years ago and I'm still pretty bad now! If I want a dominos I have it, if I want to binge out on Ben and jerrys I do - I just make sure I inject accordingly! And with a second trimester hba1c of 5.7 it can't be that bad.

Obviously that's not an every day occurrence but even with my day to day meals, I don't restrict what I eat I jut make sure I inject in advance (I have to inject about 30 mins before I eat) and that way my bloods 9 times out of 10 stay within the tight brackets that like for pregnant diabetics (4-5.3 pre meals and under 7.5 an hour after eating).

Just don't stress yourself out about the tiny little things like have I eaten to much potato or can I eat that sandwich - YES just preempt it with an injection xx

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I started on pens and moved to pump when I was about 14 weeks pregnant - it was a lot simpler on the pump to deal with the changes in dosage, but if the pump hadn't been an option I would have still gone for it. I was able to keep a low hba1c on pens (was down at 6.2 when we started trying to conceive), it just required a lot more injections and a relatively low carb diet. Given all the other sacrifices you have to make when pregnant (diabetic or not), a few extra injections isn't that much.
However when you see your DSN do tell them you are trying to conceive, as they may choose to put you on a pump to help.

JBlaza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, traffic fumes
I have got to 30 weeks on pens with good control eating normally, the only meal I have always had issues with is breakfast. However I have now gone from a 1:1 ratio at the start of my pregnancy to 3:1 and starting to find control a lot harder so think I will switch to a low carb diet for the last 8 weeks or so

eeb123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha @Ellie_Wilko, nobody's perfect and everyone deserves a treat!
I've not done any of the pre meal injections, but sounds like it may be something to explore to prevent any spikes.
@ArtemisBow & @JBlaza thank you, yes I'm not eligible for a pump, I suppose all areas are different. My ratio is sorted which has been so helpful but I think I suffer from dawn phenomenon.
How has everyone found the care and things once they have conceived? Again I know everywhere is different but nice to know what you're letting yourself in for to an extent! X

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@eeb123 If you have Dawn Phenomenon, it may be worth asking again about a pump, especially as you're planning a pregnancy.

I found my pregnancy care excellent. I had a fantastic team and felt really well looked after :)

eeb123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @azure I don't qualify any longer, I've already asked.
After this group I feel much more confident injections will be ok though!