My Blood Pressure is low so should I avoid prescribed Lisinopril ? lisonopril ?

john5220

Doctor gave me lisonopril and Atenolol. However the Atenolol has my heart rate at 53 and BP at 114/70

So I am wondering why use lisonopril that the doctor prescribed me? if the Atenolol is doing such a great job? Should I bother using this thing?

I THINK he believes I had a heart attack last year a minor one due tto the story I told him I walked out the road and fell down but got back up. Couldn't breathe and blood pressure was 200/130 thats how I found out I actually had BP in the first place.

Looks like he suspects this was a case of heart attack? but if so wouldn't I have been in the hospital? I was 29 when this happened btw.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree you need to ask your GP about this. He may wish to reduce the dose of atenolol and use a low dose of Lisinopril as well. Using low doses of 2 drugs can reduce the risk any possible side effects or having a higher dose of just one drug. Also I believe the group of drugs that Lisinopril belongs to can have some other protective effects, but I'm not medically trained and only your GP can advise what is best for you.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
don´t think your blood presure should be lower than 114/70 which is a fantastic blood presure.. a bit lower isn´t dagerous.. my daughter has a blood preasure of 90/40 sometimes... which is extreemly low

vegans often have very low blood presure compared to meat eaters...
but you could have had a blood congestion/ and heart attack... but if he didn´t excactly express that you could have had a heart attack ,then maybe he only thinks your blood preasure had been causing your accident..
weired if he didn´t mention if he thought of heart attack

I think you should have a better excamination if he hasen´t done that yet... after all you are very young to experiece health issues like that

Last edited:

Snootybutnice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@john5220 - I think if he suspected a heart attack then you would have been taken to the hospital and your bloods would have been checked for troponin levels around 6 hours and 12 hours afterwards (this checks any damage to the heart) and they would have hooked you up to a heart monitor/ECG immediately to see what's going on. If they found nothing you might have been given an angiogram. If you haven't had any of these then whoever you saw at the outset clearly didn't check you for a 'heart attack'. Like others have mentioned another trip back to the doctors would be good :-D x

Reactions: Freema

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You are on the low side, but not at a dangerous low thankfully. You need to speak to your doc about the med dosages. Was your BP high when you were put on the medication? Or did your doc just base it off the heart attack he thought you had? I have hypertension myself and I take ramipril and also on nifedipine for another reason but that also lowers BP. I'm having opposite problem to you though... I'm getting sudden rises in BP level even when I'm on the meds. I'm seeing my doc this Tuesday so will see what he says. But when your blood pressure is out of whack you do notice, so I understand your concern. You may be feeling symptoms of it too... I certainly do with mine. The other day it shot up to 197/116 and I was dizzy with pins and needles in my face and head. I wish you the best :) let us know how you go with your doc visit.

john5220

^ Thanks guys

Yes when he put me on these meds my BP was like average 150/98 and I told him I have high BP no matter what exercise I do or what I eat. And so he recommended me both drugs

I have to take half tablet of atenolol he said so I cut the 50mg in half the Lisinopril is a ace inhibitor apparently it flushed water out quicker and it relaxes the arteries so blood can flow freely. I read that it is prescribed for patients recovering from a heart attack because it opens up the arteries that are tight.

I will ask him more about it.

Reactions: Mep