A question

Baltipal

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi everyone, I'm new on here & just this minute introduced myself on the other page. I'm now going to be cheeky & dive straight in with a question if I may.
I, as I expect you lot do, have an irritating quantity of medical appointments during the year, some of which can't be scheduled for an evening or weekend slot so that means lost time at work. Although my employers are pretty good about allowing me the time for these I do get the choice presented me, 'Lost time or Holiday Greg?'
Now, what with my retinopathy & stuff I can see my holiday entitlement disappearing during the year just sitting in waiting rooms. It's been suggested to me that because my condition is a longstanding & incurable one that they can't make me take this time as paid leave & I don't need to lose the money.
Can anyone advise me of the normal situation as regards who pays for my medical appointments?
Many thanks for any answers in advance & appologies if this is an old, much covered subject that I'm inadvertantly rehashing.

Cheers,

Greg

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If your in a union I would ask them of your entitlements, I think it's grossly unfair of an employer to ask that you take time off your holiday entitlement to attend very important appointments concerning your health. If all else fails go to your local Income and Legal rights people (address in phone book) or CAB office. Good luck

Pinnig

Hi,

There's no entitlement in law for paid time off for medical appointments. However, if your contract of employment (or staff handbook that contains any policies surrounding this that betters the basic legal position) allows for paid time off then your would have an entitlement.

The only other avenue worth expoloring is that diabetes is a qualifying condition under the Disability Discrimimination Act. That means that once your employer knows you are covered by the DDA you can request reasonable adjustments. That could cover time off for medical appointments. Your arguments would be that it's reasonable and advantageous for the employer to let you have paid time off for preventative appointments than pay sick leave for any illness that could be related to you not accessing health advice or screening.

If you have an occupaional health advisor at work it may be worth a visit and ask them to recommend paid leave for appointments as a DDA adjustment.

Hope that helps