Type 2 Is the diabetic friendly? From my nurse

Nodemus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This is what was recommended for my high fats and my diabetes. I feel the carbs are too much. She says the spikes in blood sugars happen with everyone. I said my bs go up 7mmol with bread!! She insists this diet is good for me and won’t listen to my fears.
Baked beans (low salt/sugar) on wholemeal toast x 2 (no butter/fat spread)
  • Egg whites on toast wholemeal toast x 2 (no butter/fat spread) with tomato sauce (low sugar)
  • Scrambled egg white and mushrooms on toast(wholemeal toast x 2 (no butter/fat spread)
  • 50g rolled porridge oats with 100mls skimmed/semi-skimmed milk and chopped fruit (low GI fruits: 2 x kiwi/berries/2x plums)
  • Wholemeal toast x 2 andlow sugar jam/marmalade (no butter/fat spread)
  • Cereal (porridge oats/shredded wheat/wholegrain) and skimmed milk and berries
  • Zero/low fat natural yoghurt and chopped fruit (low GI fruits: 2 x kiwi/berries/2x plums/mango/peaches)
  • 2 x Toasting muffins with low sugar jam/marmaladeor yeast extract

Light meal idea
  • Jacket potato (no butter) with baked beans (reduced sugar/salt)/tuna (or oily fish: salmon/sardines/pilchards/herring/kippers/mackeral) and salad
The GI Diet - Low Fat Saucy Chickpeas and Sweet Potato Recipe (the-gi-diet.org) recipe link
  • Brown Rice/wholemeal pasta/ and grilled chicken and salad
  • Sandwich – chicken/tuna/egg/hummus and salad (with chutney/pickle) withwholemeal bread (no butter/fat spread)
  • Egg white omelet with vegetables/salad
  • Prawn/fish salad
  • Wholegrain crackers and a salsa dip
  • Baked beans (low salt/sugar) on wholemeal toast x 2 (no butter/fat spread)
  • Vegetable/chicken/porksoup with wholegrain crackers/1 x slice wholemeal bread (no butter/fat spread)
The GI Diet - Low GI Soup - Pork, Apple and rhttps://www.the-gi-diet.org/recipes/vegetable_ratatouille/

Main meal ideas
  • Chapatti/rice and vegetable/chickpea/dahl curry (homemade with minimal oil)
The GI Diet - Low GI Lentil Chicken Curry Recipe (the-gi-diet.org) (recipe link)
  • Grilled chicken, rice/pasta and vegetables/salad
The GI Diet - Low Fat Lemon and Parsley Chicken (the-gi-diet.org) recipe link
  • Stir fry with prawns/chicken/quorn/tofu with vegetables and noodles/rice
  • Pasta with vegetable sauce and salad (add protein, for example, chicken/fish/beans)
  • Low fat curry (tomato based sauce) and rice
  • Quorn mince bolognaise and spaghetti
  • Casserole/stew (add protein, for example, chicken/fish/beans)
The GI Diet - Low Fat, Low GI Chicken and Chickpea Casserole (the-gi-diet.org) recipe link
  • Cottage/sheperds pie (use Quorn/5% lean mince) and vegetables
  • Vegetable chilli andwholegrain rice
  • sweet potato hash with vegetables and 2x non-meat/low fat sausages
  • Stir-fry (use 2xteaspoons vegetable oil or water fry) with chicken/pork and vegetables
  • Vegetable bake
The GI Diet - Low GI Tuscan Pasta Bake (the-gi-diet.org) recipe link
You* add pulses to salads/soups/casseroles/stews/curries/bolognaise/chilli (example: chickpeas/kidney beans/baked beans/lentils/black-eyed beans)

Snack ideas

• Teacake
  • Plain/fruit scone
  • Low fat cottage cheese and wholemeal crackers/breadsticks
  • Zero fat yoghurt (and chopped fruit)
  • Chopped vegetables and a tomato or a bean/chickpea dip
  • Skimmed milk smoothie - skimmed milk and banana+berries
  • Yogurt dip (fat free natural yogurt with mint, herbs, garlic) and wholemeal crackers and vegetables sticks (carrots/cucumber/celery)
  • Plain popcorn/rice cakes
Kind regards

• Hug
Reactions: Melgar and EllieM

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep stick to that if you want your diabetes to get worse and get very sick. The best thing to do is get a BG metre and test bef you eat and 2 hours after your first mouthful and then you can tell which foods you can tolerate.

if ate what they’re suggesting on this diet I’d be on high does of insulin by now o_O

Nodemus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear! Where is the rolling eyes emoji when you want it? Oh here it is! :rolleyes:

Joking aside what are you going to do?
Everytime I question her choices of food for me she thinks I’m talking out my backside I haven’t got a clue she’s more about lowering fats side which I understand. But she’s convinced 150/200g of carbs are needed for a diabetic each day complex carbs. She claims everyone spikes blood sugar but mine stays high all day I can get any bread, porridge, potatoes what so ever bit she’s convinced I can

• Hug
Reactions: Rachox and filly

Nodemus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep stick to that if you want your diabetes to get worse and get very sick. The best thing to do is get a BG metre and test bef you eat and 2 hours after your first mouthful and then you can tell which foods you can tolerate.

if ate what they’re suggesting on this diet I’d be on high does of insulin by now o_O
I did this when I got a trial cgm any carb even if it’s low on the glycemic index sends my blood sugars soaring. Rice and pasta are out so are potatoes any carb really but she won’t have it saying I need fibre from the brown bread and wholemeal foods she’s the dietitian for the high fats to lower them. Which the diet is doing but the high carbs are killing me

Reactions: MissMuffett

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is what was recommended for my high fats and my diabetes. I feel the carbs are too much. She says the spikes in blood sugars happen with everyone. I said my bs go up 7mmol with bread!! She insists this diet is good for me and won’t listen to my fears.
  • Egg whites on toast wholemeal toast x 2 (no butter/fat spread) with tomato sauce (low sugar)
  • Scrambled egg white and mushrooms on toast(wholemeal toast x 2 (no butter/fat spread)
  • 50g rolled porridge oats with 100mls skimmed/semi-skimmed milk and chopped fruit (low GI fruits: 2 x kiwi/berries/2x plums)
  • Zero/low fat natural yoghurt and chopped fruit (low GI fruits: 2 x kiwi/berries/2x plums/mango/peaches)

Light meal idea
  • Jacket potato (no butter) with baked beans (reduced sugar/salt)/tuna (or oily fish: salmon/sardines/pilchards/herring/kippers/mackeral) and salad
The GI Diet - Low Fat Saucy Chickpeas and Sweet Potato Recipe (the-gi-diet.org) recipe link
  • Sandwich – chicken/tuna/egg/hummus and salad (with chutney/pickle) withwholemeal bread (no butter/fat spread)
  • Prawn/fish salad
  • Vegetable/chicken/porksoup with wholegrain crackers/1 x slice wholemeal bread (no butter/fat spread)
The GI Diet - Low GI Soup - Pork, Apple and rhttps://www.the-gi-diet.org/recipes/vegetable_ratatouille/

Main meal ideas
The GI Diet - Low GI Lentil Chicken Curry Recipe (the-gi-diet.org) (recipe link)
  • Pasta with vegetable sauce and salad (add protein, for example, chicken/fish/beans)
The GI Diet - Low Fat, Low GI Chicken and Chickpea Casserole (the-gi-diet.org) recipe link
  • Stir-fry (use 2xteaspoons vegetable oil or water fry) with chicken/pork and vegetables
  • Vegetable bake
You* add pulses to salads/soups/casseroles/stews/curries/bolognaise/chilli (example: chickpeas/kidney beans/baked beans/lentils/black-eyed beans)

Snack ideas

• Teacake
  • Plain/fruit scone
  • Yogurt dip (fat free natural yogurt with mint, herbs, garlic) and wholemeal crackers and vegetables sticks (carrots/cucumber/celery)
Kind regards

Oops, if I ate what they are suggesting, I’ll be on high dose insulin too!

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Oops, if I ate what they are suggesting, I’ll be on high dose insulin too!

Reactions: MissMuffett

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Nodemus

It's great that you've had a trial of the CGM. That actually provides you with some actual evidence about the effect of different foods on your levels.

There are many left in the medical profession who have the same beliefs as what you have been recommended. I don't have the same beliefs after years of monitoring my levels and monitoring what I eat. I feel quite sad about it as many people will be following similar advice to that which you have been given with the result that their diabetes will get worse and they will suffer some of the effects of having high levels - the cost to the system but worse to the individuals concerned saddens me.

I believe that we should listen to medical advice when we are given it and then make decisions based on our knowledge and individual circumstances. I have been seeing a physiotherapist recently but following his advice has made the pain worse and left me struggling to walk even lesser distances- I'm choosing not to go back to that physio. If my foot keeps getting worse I may revisit that decision but I will monitor the symptoms and make a decision.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Light meal idea
  • Prawn/fish salad

Main meal ideas
  • Vegetable bake

Snack ideas

• Teacake
  • Plain/fruit scone
Kind regards
It kinda sounds like booking a slot for an early grave to me, honestly.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,

Light meal idea
  • Prawn/fish salad

Main meal ideas
  • Vegetable bake

Snack ideas

• Teacake
  • Plain/fruit scone
Kind regards
This sounds so bad I thought you were just being sarcastic !

Nodemus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Nodemus

It's great that you've had a trial of the CGM. That actually provides you with some actual evidence about the effect of different foods on your levels.

There are many left in the medical profession who have the same beliefs as what you have been recommended. I don't have the same beliefs after years of monitoring my levels and monitoring what I eat. I feel quite sad about it as many people will be following similar advice to that which you have been given with the result that their diabetes will get worse and they will suffer some of the effects of having high levels - the cost to the system but worse to the individuals concerned saddens me.

I believe that we should listen to medical advice when we are given it and then make decisions based on our knowledge and individual circumstances. I have been seeing a physiotherapist recently but following his advice has made the pain worse and left me struggling to walk even lesser distances- I'm choosing not to go back to that physio. If my foot keeps getting worse I may revisit that decision but I will monitor the symptoms and make a decision.
She’s a nurse who deals with pancreatitis which I have her aim is to lower my triglycerides. So I cant be on a high fat diet. I also can’t eat that carbohydrates I’m actually struggling to find an eating plan that’s suitable.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely with pancreatitis you need to give your poor pancreas a rest from all those carbs? I don't have snacks at all, I'm surprised your DN is even advising re snacks.
Re triglycerides...I found that mine went down after switching to LCHF. I'm not saying it will be like this for you, but that's my n=1 experience. When I told my DN I was following LCHF she said 'But what about your cholesterol levels?' She checked them and just said a deflated 'Oh' when she realised every single marker had improved.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Light meal idea
  • Prawn/fish salad

Main meal ideas
  • Vegetable bake

Snack ideas

• Teacake
  • Plain/fruit scone
Kind regards
For me , that would be a very firm no to 95% of what's recommended here.

I did eat what looked a lot like this diet once upon a time. My experience is that it increases your blood glucose levels, gives you a range of nasty diabetic symptoms and you get diagnosed with T2.

Taighnamona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
20 years ago I followed that same dietary advice and went from pre diabetes to full blown type 2 and enormous weight gain. 4 months ago I was put onto insulin and what a wake up call! It frightened me and I scoured these forums for advice and knowledge.
I am taking very low dose of basal insulin which I intend to wean myself off soon… hopefully in the next 6 months or sooner.
I got a trial CGM and have funded the last two months myself. Total eye opener as to what spikes my glucose levels. Bread, lentils, potatoes… yep all the expected carbs foods I was advised to eat.
In the last three months I’ve cut carbs to 50-80 a day. I’ve been eating more cheese and butter and eggs than ever before.
My A1c has dropped from 67 to 41; my cholesterol has dropped from 4.2 to 3.6 plus I’ve lost some weight.
I’d been several years on Victoza thinking I was on top of my diabetes. I’d been coasting along fooling myself. I wish I’d known 20 years ago what I know now about my intolerance to carbs and their poisonous effect on my body.
Go with your instincts because high carbs are not good for type 2s. Good luck finding your control.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your meter has no axe to grind. It will only tell you what is happening in your body. It hasn't read the text books or been on (outdated) training courses.
I know which I'd believe, the tech that tells me about my body rather than the nurse who parrots unswerving dogma.
It's your body, your choice

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
In 2009, I was given the same advice by a dietician for my (mis)diagnosis of T2.
By 2012, and suffering with daily hypers and hypos. My weight increased to over eighteen stone.
I was very obese.
After being diagnosed with my condition, following a very low carb diet, and intermittent fasting. The weight fell off and I became healthier and no hyper and hypos.
With T2, and possibly pancreatitis, the body and pancreas doesn't need the effort of producing more insulin, the the carbs will do that.
With T2 the imbalance because of the condition the amount insulin increases because of the higher spikes because of insulin resistance and maybe from first phase hormone response.
With T2, you should try and reduce the spikes, because, the excess insulin that doesn't get used, is not good for your body. Your homeostasis is out of whack.
Your intolerance to certain foods is increased, as is the inflammation of the cells that impact your health.
Good fats are vital, as is the protein you need.

I had to find a way to be healthy, because the dieticians so called healthy diet was putting my life in jeopardy.
And I doubt that I would be here, if I hadn't reduced my carbs intake.

For an example.
Spuds up to high teens from normal.
Porridge, no milk, no sugar mid teens from normal.
Any wheat or grains, around 10 mmols from normal.

I had to experiment, I had to find a balanced diet for me.
A glucometer ( or a CGM) and a food diary to record everything will help you do this.

Excessive spikes are not normal.
Excessive spikes are unhealthy for anybody.

You only have to try it!
Best wishes.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Light meal idea
  • Prawn/fish salad

Main meal ideas
  • Vegetable bake

Snack ideas

• Teacake
  • Plain/fruit scone
Kind regards
A very similar diet to that landed me in hospital in 2012 with blood sugars of 125.00. Doctors said that I was very close to going into a coma. Luckily insulin bought blood sugars down to a safer level.?

I need to keep carbs around 20g a day to stay off insulin.

On medium fats and low carbs my fats have been normal according to the doctors. Actually all the tests come back as normal.

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
20 years ago I followed that same dietary advice and went from pre diabetes to full blown type 2 and enormous weight gain. 4 months ago I was put onto insulin and what a wake up call! It frightened me and I scoured these forums for advice and knowledge.
I am taking very low dose of basal insulin which I intend to wean myself off soon… hopefully in the next 6 months or sooner.
I got a trial CGM and have funded the last two months myself. Total eye opener as to what spikes my glucose levels. Bread, lentils, potatoes… yep all the expected carbs foods I was advised to eat.
In the last three months I’ve cut carbs to 50-80 a day. I’ve been eating more cheese and butter and eggs than ever before.
My A1c has dropped from 67 to 41; my cholesterol has dropped from 4.2 to 3.6 plus I’ve lost some weight.
I’d been several years on Victoza thinking I was on top of my diabetes. I’d been coasting along fooling myself. I wish I’d known 20 years ago what I know now about my intolerance to carbs and their poisonous effect on my body.
Go with your instincts because high carbs are not good for type 2s. Good luck finding your control.

14 years ago I was given somewhat the same advice from my previous PCP. In my medical chart she put down, “lack of nutrition” She wanted to put me on medication or insulin, and I refused. I am pre and I don’t take medication. My weight is stable and my numbers are in the non diabetic range.
Indeed I am pre. If I eat regular food or what diabetic nurse suggests, I will be T2 in a few months. My best choice is my meter. I live on a BG test meter and keep records of whatever I eat. Thanks for sharing all that useful info!