Omnipod-has anyone got one??

Charlie6421

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey... I'm new to the site but I have been a T1 diabetic for 7 years now, I'm 24 and am really really struggling to keep control. I'm petrified to go to the doctors as they make me feel awful about myself and my control and I just come away feeling useless and really upset.

A family friend has just been given the Omnipod on the NHS and says that it has completely changed her life and her ability to control to the point where she has gone travelling around the world.

I have asked my doctors and 2 denied all knowledge of the product existing and others have laughed at me and said you would never get it on the NHS but after researching it I really would like to try it- I am willing to go private I just want some advice! Thanks for your help

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Which doctors have you asked? If it was your GP that doesn't surprise me.

First step to getting a pump, get a referral up to the hospital for review by a consultant endocrinologist.

& yes, I have an omnipod, on the NHS.

Charlie6421

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have asked my GP but also my diabetic consultant... both said no! I have never had a pump... just want to get it under control because it's getting me down!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have asked my GP but also my diabetic consultant... both said no! I have never had a pump... just want to get it under control because it's getting me down!

You have to meet the NICE criteria or the ABCD recommendations that are listed in the INPUT link.

Usually a prerequisite for a pump is meeting one or both of the above and to have a good knowledge of carb counting, so if you've not done a carb counting course like DAFNE then do put your name forward for the next available place.

Regards to the Omnipod Pump, it may not be a option at your diabetes clinic so you might have to choose another pump if you do become eligible for one. Good luck.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

So the question is why did they say no?
You need to find out why the answer is no and address the no's and then take it from there.
If you have tried everything to control your diabetes and it's just the consultant suffering from anal retention then you need a referral to a pump friendly clinic.

tfishuk

I also have an Omnipod on NHS however I was initially turned down by my local hospital but my GP referred me to a consultant who got me a pump within two weeks. I will always recommend Omnipod because the freedom of not having tubes is fantastic and it is so easy to manage.