Type 1s: How badly do moods affect your blood sugars?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I guess even after 15yrs of being diabetic i would accept it but i cant i rather die younger and live happy and free than stuck in a cage adding years to a life i feel i really dont want to live

Thank you for being so honest about your feelings. I'm sure everyone reading your list of what you hate could identify with something on that list (or all of it!)

I think with Type 1 it's a lot about how you look at it. Yep, there's a cage, but that cage isn't for me, it's for me to keep the diabetes beast in. That's how I look at it.

Every time I keep my BS controlled, I keep that beast in its cage and stick a metaphorical finger up at it.

So my cage has Type 1 in and I take great pleasure in bolting it in as tightly as possible!

Why let the b@*#$* win? That's my attitude : )

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha wish i could see it that way coz how i see it is i would be chained to the cage having to spend all my time making sure the ****** stays in there so whos the prisoner really? Even just drinking coffee is a problem coz i am not willing to have set times i can drink it... A normal bg day for me is like this ( with doing all my insulin and testing fully: wake up 13.4 get dressed and kids ready for school and have a couple of coffees to wake up, before i get some breakfast 17.9 eat do insulin. Before lunch maybe get down to 12.1 (coz i have been drinking coffee all morning) eat do insulin. After getting kids from school 8.4 (fantastic) more coffee while sort kids and animals out and cook. Before main meal 16.9 (***) then hypo before bed middle of the night 23.7 more insulin shattered from lack of sleep but maybe then wake up to 6.8 or as the last few morning 4.8 just to have another 15.6 before breakfast

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hey shaddow
with all you are experiencing it is good you have found us..... can you try and just work in the moment and get little things working for you( like some BG testing ) ......... if you can there will be a fair few of us here to help support and perhaps you can regain your mojo :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I geel like i am writing an essay with every message lol sorry for the eye strain

Yep, I see your earlier post... "Small victories".. No one can take that away.. Priorities will change over time & you will be glad you took notice of the cards dealt now... Regrets later on can be a lot harder to swallow..

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Haha wish i could see it that way coz how i see it is i would be chained to the cage having to spend all my time making sure the ****** stays in there so whos the prisoner really? Even just drinking coffee is a problem coz i am not willing to have set times i can drink it... A normal bg day for me is like this ( with doing all my insulin and testing fully: wake up 13.4 get dressed and kids ready for school and have a couple of coffees to wake up, before i get some breakfast 17.9 eat do insulin. Before lunch maybe get down to 12.1 (coz i have been drinking coffee all morning) eat do insulin. After getting kids from school 8.4 (fantastic) more coffee while sort kids and animals out and cook. Before main meal 16.9 (***) then hypo before bed middle of the night 23.7 more insulin shattered from lack of sleep but maybe then wake up to 6.8 or as the last few morning 4.8 just to have another 15.6 before breakfast

That sounds rubbish - the erratic sugars not you!

If your sugars were better, you might feel more encouraged to test and inject. It looks like your insulin doses need adjusting to me. Just a note - it might not be the coffee. I get a waking rise. If I get up and delay breakfast my BS will go up and gets hard to control. That then messes up a fair bit of the day. So I always bolus and eat, or just do a tiny bolus to keep my BS down. Do you do correction doses?

Once you get your insulin doses right and get into a routine, you're not chained to the cage. It becomes second nature. You have better control and can get on with your life. High sugars and erratic sugars are exhausting and drain your energy, not to mention the short term and long term effects.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah i do sometimes do correction doses but not very ofter as it means another injection to do lol. If. I do any insulin when i get up then i end up hypo either running around trying sort the kids out or on the school run so i dont bother but by the time i get back im sky high it really is driving me nuts and why i think it is much better not knowing what my sugars are doing. While im hight i can function fine and get on with what i have to do but when i go low i cant do anything just sit on the floor shacking and stuffing any sugary thing i can get my hands on like a crazy woman while the kids and dog run riot coz they know i cant do anything about it lol

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
See, that all sounds to me like your insulin doses need tuning. Type 1 is ****, yes, and it's never going to be a walk in the park, but if your daily life is being affected like that when slight tweaks to your doses and ratios would help, then it's sad.

I have 3 children and they pretty much dictate my routine (or lack of it!) but I feel 1000% better with good sugars.

Someone once said that you can ignore your diabetes but it won't ignore you....

I remember that when I'm tempted not to bother.

I'll shut up now because you'll think I'm nagging, but I promise I'm not. Just encouraging you to push the diabetes back down under your thumb where the nasty little thing belongs.

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
agree totally with @azure -- getting control and keeping the D in its little space is huge in terms of day to day mental wellbeing.
hope you can tune in to this .......... x

Reactions: azure
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
See, that all sounds to me like your insulin doses need tuning. Type 1 is ****, yes, and it's never going to be a walk in the park, but if your daily life is being affected like that when slight tweaks to your doses and ratios would help, then it's sad.

I have 3 children and they pretty much dictate my routine (or lack of it!) but I feel 1000% better with good sugars.

Someone once said that you can ignore your diabetes but it won't ignore you....

I remember that when I'm tempted not to bother.

I'll shut up now because you'll think I'm nagging, but I promise I'm not. Just encouraging you to push the diabetes back down under your thumb where the nasty little thing belongs.
No i dont or feel anyone is nagging here and quite a few things have made me giggle. I know what your all saying is right just my stupid head and independence gets in the way of that and as i havent changed my view on it in the last 15 years i would say its going to be a slow trek lol but i am sure i will see the light one day

Reactions: himtoo and azure