insulin resistance type 1s

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Kristin - I think lower carb is the way to go, but I need to learn how to manage a consistent low carb diet (which is hard when working, travelling, kids and family meals) to avoid the big swings. If a mange to keep low carb for 2 consecutive meals my insulin resistence drops dramtically and that is when I get caught out and hypo. Why oh why do carbs taste so good! I feel like I am always on a learning curve and will never achieve a good level of control. I have also shifted my basal dose time a little and it seems to have helped. Little steps and little victories.

I couldn't control swings eating carbs, ever. Some lucky ones have. I make and take most of my foods with me as I know what I'm eating. Salads topped with protein are good options. Take nuts and seeds with you. Low carbing WILL require less insulin so test test test.

Of course carbs taste great to all of us. I've been low carbing (20 g or less a day)for 20 years pre D diagnosis so wasn't hard. Gluten and graina mke me feel awful hours or days after I eat them and like crack when I eat them. Give me more!!!! I need insulin to stay alive but I personally like to take less if I can and low carbing helps me with that as well as keeps my weight low.

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I couldn't control swings eating carbs, ever. Some lucky ones have. I make and take most of my foods with me as I know what I'm eating. Salads topped with protein are good options. Take nuts and seeds with you. Low carbing WILL require less insulin so test test test.

Of course carbs taste great to all of us. I've been low carbing (20 g or less a day)for 20 years pre D diagnosis so wasn't hard. Gluten and graina mke me feel awful hours or days after I eat them and like crack when I eat them. Give me more!!!! I need insulin to stay alive but I personally like to take less if I can and low carbing helps me with that as well as keeps my weight low.
Thanks for the reply Kristin. I do a little better in the working week when I am and organised to pack a lunch. I'm gonna try harder.