Muscle gain and fat loss

W

WithoutSugar

Hello!
I am interested in muscle gain (I train 2-3 times per week) and fat loss (I have 30kg to lose).
I wonder what would be the optimum way to achieve that.
I read here https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/insulin-advantage that insulin is NECESSARY to promote muscle growth. So are carbs (even sugar) promoting muscle growth? I reckon I need to bundle intermittent fasting and low carbing in an optimum way but what that can be? Also, maybe I should also incorporate carb loading?
Any help to come up with a good plan?
thanks!

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately i'm going to have to disappoint you a bit and say that in order to keep gaining muscle you need to be in a state calorie surplus. In the beginning you might gain some muscle but in order to keep doing so you need to eat more calories. But that is not to say that you need to stop working out your muscles when trying to lose weight. Since your main goal is to lose weight you will best do that with dieting. But don't despair as you lose weights you'll actually start to look more muscular in the sense that you'll see more definition. The optimum way to lose weight is really through diet since physical activity doesn't really burn a whole lot of calories (people overestimate it). What burns the most calories in the shortest time is high intensity stuff. But you'll need to see what achievable and sustainable for you.

I don't know if your type 1 or type 2 and inject insulin or not but it works a bit different for us. First of all yes insulin is a major factor in muscle growth, it's even on the illegal substance list and yes some bodybuilders do take it (non diabetic ones that is). That gives you a good idea on how important it is. That being said for diabetics it's a different ball game. You will be trying to get an adjusted requirement of protein, carbs and fat while keeping your BS levels under control. In a bulk or cut protein usually stays about the same (around 2g. per kg of body weight), Some actually prefer a bit higher protein on a cut but 2 grams is about right. Fat serves little to no purpose in gaining muscle and is the most calorie dense so since you're trying to lose weight you can cut a lot of calories by limiting fat. That leaves carbs with the same calorie density as protein, again you're trying to lose weight so you're going to limit them to a point where you're still able to workout efficiently but the sum of your calorie intake should be lower than how much you burn. In carbs you will prefer complex carbs over simple carbs (sugar) since simple carbs cause spikes, complex carbs have a more gradual release and can generally be found in healthier foods. As you successfully cut you'll find that you insulin requirements go down so you might experience some lows.

On the last part carb loading is utterly useless for muscle building and for any activity that's under an hour of uninterrupted exercise.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would take this in a couple of stages. Stage 1 would be the foundation phase consisting of LCHF diet (strict to moderate https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb), combined with circuit training for around 3 to 6 months depending on your intensity; this will shed weight and set you up for the next phase, whilst the circuits would incorporate reasonable interval and resistance training to begin the muscle build. Phase 2 would bias towards compound resistance training. Compound training will give you the most bang for buck as multiple muscle groups are engaged simultaneously and with low carb will shred fat.

For the circuit you could go to a gym or alternatively you could create your own e.g. pushups, sit-ups, burpees, lunges, planks. I would also recommend T25 as this has a good eating plan (apart from the shake) and will leave you drenched. For compound weights take a look at
if you go for this program the protein is a little high, but these guys really understand fat burning in minimal time.

It is important to watch your readings if you are Type 1 or Type 2 on insulin / other meds, and ensure your health professionals know what you are about to embark on (I got an ECG and took a slower route).

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
Hi, I've lost 30kg in the last 12. Months, I've also gained muscle I dieted for 3months LCHF but stayed at 2000 calories walked a lot everyday at least 2hrs, after 3 months I joined a gym went 3/4 times a week did 1hr at a time weights no cardio.

Had to stop for 2 months, recovery due to surgery i had to avoid heavy lifting, returned to the gym now and I do 3/4 times a week I try and walk everywhere even if it takes 2 hours to get there and the weathers ok, I will try and make the time, some days it does mean I'll get up in the small hours 2am in order to fit work and everything in but I feel great now the weight is off everything is so much easier.
I can consume anywhere between 800 to 4000 calories depending on my day but I'd guess over the week it would average out to over 2000 calories.
I use soy defated protein shakes which helped with the muscle gain.