Blood sugar levels

Jolly_oldie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Fairly new to all of this. Diagnosed type 2 couple of months ago. Cut down carbs. Fasting blood this morning 8 then had porridge with some rhubarb. 2 hours later bloods 12. On Metformin, furosemide, Bisoprolol, warfarin, atorvastatin, ramipril. Blood test higher than it should be, does this mean that I need to find something else to eat for breakfast. Don't really like porridge but thought it would be a healthy option. Do all the meds I take make a difference to blood count. On a Daphne course in December. Apart from that no help for GP or diabetic nurse. Was told not to bother testing blood but saw on forum that most people do this so go a Codefree. Soooo confused.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That your BS went up by 4 mmol confirms that your body struggles to cope with porridge. I would try something lower carb, like a fry-up without the bread, or kippers maybe. Glad you got yourself a meter, how else would you have discovered the impact of porridge?

A

asparagusp

Some people are okay with porridge. However there are a lot of healthy non spiking alternatives like scrambled eggs .....

Additionally some of your drugs might be contributing to the high numbers too, so perhaps type each one you take into a search engine along with "hyperglycaemia"/whatever.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got the codefree monitor last Thursday best thing I've ever done and turns out I can't eat porridge either I'm eating and testing a lot just to see what's good and bad I found something very good this morning

Smelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I can't eat wheat or oats as they rocket my bs. I'm having chia seed puddings for breakfast atm. Or eggs, mushrooms and full fat Greek yogurt.