Getting pump on Tuesday

cath67plum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got email late yesterday - got appointment Tuesday 2pm - to get my pump! Getting Medtronic. Trying to prepare :)

Any tips re
  • driving,
  • walking dogs,
  • sleeping,
  • what does my partner need to know
Feeling excited but scared too!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That is great news @cath67plum :)

Driving: The rules on driving are just the same for those on a pump as they are for those on injections, I've not had to make any adjustments since starting on a pump, you'll likely be told this but always carry spares for your pump and back-up pens in case of a pump issue that can't be resolved.

Walking dogs: Depending on the duration you can use a TBR (temporary basal rate) if you find your bg levels drop whilst out for a long walk, you do this an hour or two before the walk but your pump DSN will explain all about using TBR's. Just carry some snacks and fast-acting glucose with you just the same as you would on injections.

Sleeping: I've not has too many issues sleeping but I use a tubeless pump, I try not to lay on the side of the infusion site but apart from that no other adjustments to date, hopefully other pumpers will add something about sleeping.

What does my partner need to know: You could take them along to the pump appointment, but make them aware that your pump now delivers both your basal & bolus insulin and you don't have any insulin in your body should your pump fail and it goes unnoticed for a few hours.

The best tip I can offer is to buy the book Pumping Insulin by John Walsh & Ruth Roberts, it's a must read for anyone using a pump or contemplating moving to one. Good luck and hope all goes well.

iHs

Hi @cath67plum

Try to use tonight to find out what yr bg levels are at 2am and 5 am so that the pump dsn can try to get you on a basal rate that will be ok until you feel confident at adjusting them yourself. There's a lot to find out with using a pump but take it all in bit by bit and walk first before you start running. There's an easier to understand basal rate adjustment guide in think like a pancreas but it's also available online.
If you haven't got one, get some weighing scales so that the cooked weight of food like frozen peas can be worked out and then convert to Dsp or Tblsp. Have plenty of bg teststrips so that a test can be done every 2.5hrs and the pump settings adjusted.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Get a little pouch from Medtronic website (or wherever) with an elastic belt for sleeping in. When I got my pump, I had it for a few days loose in the bed and if I ever got up in the night, it was easy to forget I was wearing it. Pouch is really useful.

Dave

simonfholt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Pumps are great but you'll need to get used to it! Ensuring your basal rates are spot on is important. To that end my DSN got me to do a fasting record and keep a food diary. The fasting record is hard as you have to do hourly blood sugar tests during the fasting periods and a couple of nighttime tests too. Diabetes controlled my life for almost 49 years of my pre-pump diabetes but with the pump I now control diabetes! Good luck Si