quitting smoking

louiseb

Ok I have stopped smoking for a week now which has been really difficult for me I smoked 40 per day.
anyway in that week I have managed to gain 6 pounds :oops: :shock: :cry:
I feel like just starting smoking again!!
I was already 1 stone overweight and I have my first appointment at the diabetic clinic on thursday im sure im going to get a lenghthy lecture about my weight.
anyway my question has anybody else experienced constant hunger when quitting smoking!!
also my bg is averaging about 12 2 hours after a meal
at the minute i feel like going to the shop and buying some ciggies.

type 2 diet and excercise controlled

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hello Louise. :)

Well done on not smoking for a week! :D You have done the worst bit and now just have to keep going. As for the hunger and putting on the weight you will need to find something low carb to nibble on and find other things to do with your hands. Obviously you don't really want to go back on the ciggies or you wouldn't have posted that!! :roll: :)

You probably should invest in a meter if your clinic don't give one to you so that you can work out what is putting up your BG levels. If you get that sorted out you will probably find that your weight will start to come off. 8)

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Sorry Louise I just noticed that you did get a meter, so what are you eating at present? :? :)

louiseb

Hi synonym,
thanks for reply im starting to find it easier now as I bought some nictotine patches dont feel so hungry now.
also I was snacking on lots of nuts like almonds, hazell nuts etc thought they would be good as low carb but didnt realise how many calories were in them :oops: that kind of explains my weight gain lol
my bg level is too bad but still needs to be improved im still learning at the minute as this all quite new to me only been diagnosed diabetic just over 1 month ago.

haggis1972

Dislikes
spiders, rude people
Hi louise, well done for stopping smoking the first couple of weeks are the hardest,( i stopped last aug) the nicotine patches helped for me i only needed them for about a week to take the edge off.I was constantly hungry all the time too i made up a bowl of salad and munched on that, or carrot sticks.
With the money i saved from smoking i took hubby and my kids out for a meal (make sure you give yourself a treat for stopping).
It is hard but you will start to feel better.
hope that helps.

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
louiseb said:
Ok I have stopped smoking for a week now which has been really difficult for me I smoked 40 per day.
anyway in that week I have managed to gain 6 pounds :oops: :shock: :cry:
I feel like just starting smoking again!!
I was already 1 stone overweight and I have my first appointment at the diabetic clinic on thursday im sure im going to get a lenghthy lecture about my weight.
anyway my question has anybody else experienced constant hunger when quitting smoking!!
also my bg is averaging about 12 2 hours after a meal
at the minute i feel like going to the shop and buying some ciggies.

type 2 diet and excercise controlled

Hi,
I gave up smoking 5 years ago and to be honest I put on a ston e in weight, when I asked my GP for help in losing the weight he said try to eat as little less, exercise more and the weight will come off. He also said that by not smoking your making yourself healthier any way and a few pounds here and there won't harm you.

justfoundout

Dislikes
Bullies
Louise
Best decision you can ever make is to quit smoking. At the weekend I will be 10 months nicotine free. It was hard but I promise it gets easier and easier every day. I too smoked a lot but I avoided NRT and went cold turkey. After 3 days there is no nicotine in your body. Any real craving disappears soon afterwards and you will be FREE! I also put on 8 pounds in the first few months (this was before I was diagnosed with diabetes) as I ate all sorts of things I wouldn't have done as a smoker. The great news is that I have lost that weight and then some. Really don't want to lose any more but having gone low carb and as a skinny T2 I find it hard to keep up the calories.
Anyway I digress.....
You are wise to quit. Stay strong. Stay quit. Seems there are quite a few ex-smokers here who can offer up advice and are also proof that quitting is do-able. The only thing between you and a 40 a day smoker again is one puff. Avoid that and you will stay free. M